The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got on the list and Desert European. I spoke to them a month ago and called back yesterday to get on the list and got a surprise. I was told they are no longer taking reservations at msrp. He said he would put me on the list at msrp + $5k. Has anyone else been told this by a dealer? I was under the impression that being on "the list" meant you waited like everyone else for a car at msrp. I got on the list anyway and am excited about eventually being the proud owner of my very own elise. I went to Desert because I had a good recommendation from someone in this forum and a bad experience at Symbolic. Anyone noticed anything similar?

I wouldn't be surprised if the price dropped a bit and when it comes time to order. There may very well be an argument if I hear about cars going for msrp at other places or being resold by people that realized they don't like street legal track cars without hand stitched leather and all the plush. The market for the elise is going to need to be in a state that convinces me I have to pay my dealer $5k extra because I can't find one anywhere else for less. I am interested to hear what other new on the list types were told when they signed up.

Crash

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am at DE, but I signed up March 2004. I am supposed to be part of the next order group of 10. Who at DE did you talk with? Did they give you a position number on the list?

For my sake, I hope your higher price doesn't bump me down the list. :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ChrisH said:
I am at DE, but I signed up March 2004. I am supposed to be part of the next order group of 10. Who at DE did you talk with? Did they give you a position number on the list?

For my sake, I hope your higher price doesn't bump me down the list. :(
The number on the receipt they faxed me is 54. I spoke to a guy named Jerry Louis Hagemann.

So there is a list and +x list is there? I don't expect anyone waiting 6+ months to pay above msrp either and if I have to wait that long then come order time we'll be "discussing" the price. What number are you?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Crash said:
I just got on the list and Desert European. I spoke to them a month ago and called back yesterday to get on the list and got a surprise. I was told they are no longer taking reservations at msrp. He said he would put me on the list at msrp + $5k. Crash
To my knowledge, DE has never had an MSRP list. Ever.
The first person on the list was at +$2500, and it was that way most of this year. I think they've already presold most of their two-year+ allocation, and they're not getting cars very fast. Total so far is six cars, and if you ask them, Lotus doesn't update them often. No love.

Getting on the waiting list now at +$5k could mean they're bumping for more profit (which is unlikely and would really piss me off), but more likely they're just buffing out the back end of their list for dropouts and such.

Otherwise you're looking at a 2007 model.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Just got on the list

Ground Loop said:
To my knowledge, DE has never had an MSRP list. Ever.
The first person on the list was at +$2500, and it was that way most of this year. I think they've already presold most of their two-year+ allocation, and they're not getting cars very fast. Total so far is six cars, and if you ask them, Lotus doesn't update them often. No love.

Getting on the waiting list now at +$5k could mean they're bumping for more profit (which is unlikely and would really piss me off), but more likely they're just buffing out the back end of their list for dropouts and such.

Otherwise you're looking at a 2007 model.
That would be odd then... when I spoke to them the first time I was told I would get on the list at msrp for $2500 down and wait about 12 to 14 months. I called yesterday and was told msrp +$5k and 18 months. What do you mean by "buffing the back end" and "doesn't update them often"? Only 6 cars delivered by them? I thought it was more like 6 a month.

If I want one then I need to get on the list so I did. I figure when the frenzie dies, people will drop, less will sign up and the premium will be a "remember when" story. Or so I can hope at least.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Just got on the list

Crash said:
when I spoke to them the first time I was told I would get on the list at msrp for $2500 down and wait about 12 to 14 months.
When was that?

I dunno, I'm usually misinformed, but I thought they were offering zero cars at MSRP.

It's obvious business that once they can't GET a premium, then they'll come down in price to move them out of the showroom. 12-14 months seems like a reasonable (and safe) guess for them to make.
I called yesterday and was told msrp +$5k and 18 months. What do you mean by "buffing the back end"
I mean that they're making a list of people to call when someone drops out of their list. Rather than call other people waiting at +$2500, maybe they would rather call a few eager latecomers who are waiting at +$5000. All pure conjecture on my part.

and "doesn't update them often"?
According to the guys at DE, Lotus does not talk to them often. They leave frequent messages for Lotus USA, and Lotus does not provide them with the information that customers are asking for. If you search for DE on this board, you can find a plethora of posts pointing fingers between DE and Lotus trying to figure out who's bottlenecking, but from the customer perspective, it doesn't matter one bit. Information regardingly delivery allocations and dates is hard to come by.

Only 6 cars delivered by them? I thought it was more like 6 a month.
The first car delivered by them was in late August, a month after LOA delivered their first car. Michael Sands, a patient and eager man if ever there was one, was the first LSS order at DE and received his car Sept 3.

As far as I can tell from asking others and reading posts here, DE received two shipments of three cars early on, and nothing since. One of those is their demo, which is still for sale at +$10k, last I heard. My info may be old, but so far nobody else has mentioned new cars arriving at DE and we have plenty of people hounding them.

If I want one then I need to get on the list so I did. I figure when the frenzie dies, people will drop, less will sign up and the premium will be a "remember when" story. Or so I can hope at least.
If you step out of EliseTalk for a moment and try to take a pulse, it does seem likely that the frenzy will be short-lived. Most of the guys I know personally (okay three) on the waiting lists have already dropped off and now fantasize about the new 911 or C6 Z06. Once people start seeing the car on freeways and parking lots, the "exclusivity factor" will drop and so will the premiums.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahaha

That's really funny git. I'll have the uninformed know that is NOT my truck. I don't have the girlie running boards or the lame bars on the side rails. It has 20" rims and is a 4x4 with a smidge of lift. I also have a chrome grill and bumper, as all real trucks do. Let's get it straight... I have one sweet tow vehicle. Only thing Git has is a purple, (barney the dinosaur) german luxobarge. You should see him pack his M to the gills when he goes camping or on a photo shoot. And to top it all off... he confessed to wanting a truck recently. My grandma drives faster in the dirt than he does. :no: :p

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Re: Re: Just got on the list

If you step out of EliseTalk for a moment and try to take a pulse, it does seem likely that the frenzy will be short-lived. Most of the guys I know personally (okay three) on the waiting lists have already dropped off and now fantasize about the new 911 or C6 Z06. Once people start seeing the car on freeways and parking lots, the "exclusivity factor" will drop and so will the premiums. [/B]

I believe that. Elisetalk is new for me but I have been following the elise for several years now. I don't think it's a mainstream car, too extreme for most and just how some of us like it. I would be perfectly happy to watch a dealer overestimate the demand and get it in the end for holding cars back for more $. How funny would it be to see them get burned by fanning the flames of desire by playing delivery, price games? I would happily walk away from my deposit if I could get the car someplace else for less money. We'll see, if they are straight forward they will follow the actual market and not be fooled by their own hype.

In the mean time I get some pretty good info from the people on this list. Glad to have found elise talk.

·
Registered
495 Posts
He said he would put me on the list at msrp + $5k.
If you are willing to pay 5K over, you don't need to be on a list. Check E-bay, make some calls, and you'll have the car in a week or two. Premium will be even less in a month

In makes little sense to be on a list at a premium. I hope you have a refundable deposit. FWIW, I spoke to DE recently, with a personal reference from someone who used to work there. I had to call four times over a week to get a call back. I was not impressed.

I've been on the Symbolic list for 18 months -- at least they are now delivering MSRP cars.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Symbolic will hand you keys for +$10k or order you a car TODAY for +$5k and have you driving it inside of three months. When that deal doesn't move any cars, they will dust off the MSRP list.

If you're willing to hike, $5k should put you in the driver's seat within a week.

Most of the +$10k offerings are still taking up valuable showroom tiles..

·
Registered
538 Posts
grudkin said:
If you are willing to pay 5K over, you don't need to be on a list. Check E-bay, make some calls, and you'll have the car in a week or two.
Agreed. I have a SY Touring Pack car coming in in a couple of weeks that I'll sell for $5K over MSRP. ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Crash, there are some dealerships that will put you on the list for MSRP with a $1,000 refundable deposit. Scottsdale, Arizona Lotus is one of them*.

If you're going to have to put a large deposit,plus pay a mark up, then just get the car now, then you may as well just get the car now and pay over MSRP.

*http://www.lotusofscottsdale.com/othercars.html

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ground Loop said:
Symbolic will hand you keys for +$10k or order you a car TODAY for +$5k and have you driving it inside of three months. When that deal doesn't move any cars, they will dust off the MSRP list.

If you're willing to hike, $5k should put you in the driver's seat within a week.

Most of the +$10k offerings are still taking up valuable showroom tiles..
Actually I am quite happy to wait and not buy into the hype, literally. I don't want to pay +$5k. I wanted to get my spot in line so I got on the list at DE. When order time comes I won't be signing anything at $5k over without getting a set of keys in a few weeks at the most. Here is a question for you guys.... What would you be telling your dealer if they were putting you on the list at +5K and when would you expect your car? Or... would you simply tell them you are only interested in msrp and if they aren't willing then you would go somewhere else? Symbolic is out of the question. I have experienced too much of their customer service to want to give them my $.

Edit: In case I don't reply soon... I am on my way out of town tonight but very interested in seeing what you have to say when I get back next week.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would just get on a list at MSRP. I don't think the wait will be as long as predicted at this point, due to drop offs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts