The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual, I wasn't given a break.

It was a suburb sheriff who had to have been 200lbs overweight at least. I tried to be nice, up until I realized he wasn't planning on giving me a break even though he had pulled me over IN THE PARKING LOT WHERE I WORK. No traffic on the road, I was doing 15 over, he was hiding out in the back of the parking lot next door - probably eating donuts or wasting tax dollars in some new, creative way.

Hopefully I ruined his day when I told him that he would have a heart attack if his fat ass ever tried to chase down a real criminal.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
offroadr35 said:
is the parking lot private property? I would assume that he can't give a ticket on private property.
Unfortunately in Virginia, they can only give one ticket in Parking Lots (private property) - reckless driving. And they do it occasionally. You then either take the reckless driving conviction, or go to court and tell Judge Wapner (that traffic courts are just like People's Court - you don't get to question the witnesses). If you go to court, you probably still loose...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll probably end up going to court and either requesting supervision or going to traffic school.

Either way, a waste of my time and money.

It's a shame that there's no legal way to get back at a cop.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
that's BS. I hope you can get out of it.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zOOmz said:
You didn't actually tell him he had a fat arse... did you???
I probably wouldn't have had I not been so blinded by anger... but yes, I did. After I said that, he walked away pissed off and gave me a shitty look when I looked at him getting into his car in my rear view.

I didn't say it to him before he wrote the ticket though... so that had nothing to do with him not giving me a break.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I don't understand why people are calling this ticket BS?!?! You say you were going 15 over the speed limit. You got a ticket. That round went to Johnny Law.
I speed. I speed a lot. But I don't call it a crock when I am given a ticket for something that I am guilty of. Buy the ticket, ride the ride.

~Paul

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
People think he was speeding in the parking lot. That's why they are calling it BS.

But it seems like the speeding was on the street and he pulled over to his work parking lot.

The legal way to get back to the cop, is to obey the speed limit so he can't give you another one :)

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It's bullshit because the cop was hiding out on a street that sees maybe 5-10 cars per hour, has no houses on it, and everyone is known to speed on. It's bullshit because I was paying that cop with my tax dollars to sit there and do absolutely nothing. It's bullshit because that's most likely the closest that cop gets to busting a criminal. It's bullshit because................

You two have your opinions, I have mine. My opinion is that "johnny law" needs to stop focusing on fast drivers and start focusing on dangerous drivers.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
It's bullshit because the cop was hiding out on a street that sees maybe 5-10 cars per hour, has no houses on it, and everyone is known to speed on. It's bullshit because I was paying that cop with my tax dollars to sit there and do absolutely nothing. It's bullshit because that's most likely the closest that cop gets to busting a criminal. It's bullshit because................
That cop was doing exactly what you pay him tax dollars to do. He was stopping a criminal. You broke the law, you were caught, and now you're being indignant.
Was this 40 in a 25? 50 in a 35? That's 160% or 140% of the speed limit.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sorry to hear that dude.

I think you have to be female to get away with a warning. I've gotten three speeding tickets so far. No warnings. My Ex-GF got pulled over three times in one week, but didn't get a single ticket.

I'd be less bothered about them if there weren't any warnings, and everyone was treated equally. It's the same in all walks of life.

At the end of the day, I look at tickets as a $300 pass to speed for 18months. Makes me feel a little better about them.

If you want to get back at him, email him the clip of Garth going to work on Mr.DonutHead Man!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
NMRJock said:
That cop was doing exactly what you pay him tax dollars to do. He was stopping a criminal. You broke the law, you were caught, and now you're being indignant.
Was this 40 in a 25? 50 in a 35? That's 160% or 140% of the speed limit.
That's funny, because I thought you were the one who was being indignant :)

Agree to disagree, get over it.

Our definitions of the what a criminal is differ greatly.

I consider rapists, murderers, thieves, drug dealers, paedophiles, etc... to be criminals. To put someone who broke the speed limit in that category is idiotic.

I guarantee that if I was an off duty cop or even somehow related to a cop, I'd have been let off without a ticket. I suppose that's ok with you?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yup, and if you decide to take the issue to court and fight it, the cop will show up and lie about the entire episode and the judge will believe him! It's pretty sad. In today's landscape, a cop hiding by the side of the road in the dark with an electronic device using it to collect fees is ridiculous. They really should be visible and patrolling areas of known crime. Not hasseling drivers trained to drive safely and efficiently driving cars designed to compliment their skills. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm with zOOmz on this. I got a $264 speeding ticket last month. I didn't argue with cop. It's iritating, but I was speeding and he caught me. He could have taken me to jail, suspended my license, but he didn't. I was polite and didn't call him a fatass, so he was polite to me.

If you don't like the laws that your police department enforces where you live, then I suggest that you run for political office and change the laws. You may not like it, but the traffic violations revenue does support municipal budgets to pay the salaries of the police detectives who catch the murders, rapists and other lowlife. We could all pay higher taxes or those who speed and get caught can pay their fines and say thank you for the priviledge of a drivers license.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Last time I got pulled over (a month ago), I had just gotten off the freeway, and the bike pulled up behind me and pulled me over. I wind down the window, and the cop says "I don't know how fast you were going, but I hit 100 and couldn't catch you". Made me so proud :)

I got an 80+ ticket and got free pizza at the traffic school :p

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
You two have your opinions, I have mine. My opinion is that "johnny law" needs to stop focusing on fast drivers and start focusing on dangerous drivers.
EXACTLY, i see speeders that are just crusing not harming anyone. Then you have these a-holes that are weaving & darting in and out of lanes putting everyone in danger. When i see cars of the first example, I cruise with them. But the 2nd, I back down, no way in hell i'm going to ride with that fool. I back down big time and keep up with him. I was completely by myself when I got mine. I was speeding at the cop's limit. He still gave me a ticket. All i was doing was cruising in a straight line. Pisses me off. I see people who drive fast on the highway and cross broken lines & double yellows to pass people doing "normal" speeds. Never seen one of those a-holes get pulled over. No I do...because i'm just minding my own business driving to get home after a long day of work.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
There is a stretch of road near my house that changes from 35 to 45 four times over a 5 mile stretch. No reason for it, doesn't become instantly residential or anything, it just does. The cops hang out and give tickets all day long. Finally after a year of the locals complaining and taking it to city council meetings, etc. they changed it to 45 all the way through. Some tickets are legit, most are just BS. Where I live it is purely for generating revenue.

I got pulled over on that same road. Biker cop going opposite direction of me, turns around, pulls me over.

"You were speeding"

"No I wasn't"

"I caught you on my radar doing 48"

"Well, I was going maybe 38, my radar detector never went off either. Are you saying you were riding your bike with one hand and pointing your radar gun at me with the other?"

He looks around in my car a little, stands with a smug look on his face and says "just slow it down a bit"

What an *******. 20% of the cops are probably pretty cool people. The other 80% are the guys who you use to pick on in High School. You can't tell who is who so I have learned to distrust them all.

Even if you were speeding it still sucks to get a ticket. If it didn't affect my insurance I would accept the ticket, pay the fine and move on. I feel the same way as Mike whenever I get pulled over or have friends/family getting tickets. There are drug dealers, rapists, theives, etc on the street and some cop is sitting behind a bush waiting to give me a ticket while I am trying to get to work where I bust my ass everyday earning an honest living.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Speeding tickets = city revenue

My consolation when I get tagged for speeding is thinking of all the times I was going 100+ and didn't get caught....

I think the sport bike guys have it right - when the cop pulls out after them, just open it up and let them try to catch up. In the hills where I live, they won't even try. Of course, the downside is seeing the bikes get collected from the roadside after exceeding their limits on a corner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts