The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... by some [email protected]$$ who did not signal and apparently did not check his blind spot, before deciding to simply merge right on top of me.

This is on a 2-lane easy ramp with no shoulders (52 eastbound onto 805 southbound, San Diego). Easy drive on early Saturday morning, cold car / cold tires, before my morning coffee, est 50-60 MPH. I'm in the left lane, he's in the right, his rear wheels even with my front wheels, when I suddenly see the solid mass of steel moving promptly on top of me. I brake hard and swerve away, but as soon as my driver's side tires catch the gravel she pulls hard to the left, nose first into the guardrail. I over-correct right, and she tries to comply, but by this time a lot of car is on the gravel, and we spin some 130 degrees in a rain of gravel and plant matter, eventually coming to a dusty stalled stop perpendicular to the road in the left lane. At some point during this 3-4 second ordeal, her rear clam kissed the guardrail... :sad:

The silver-gray 3-series BMW Sedan just kept going on his merry way, completing the merge at the same rate of speed, and followed the ramp to disappear in the distance... I don't think he ever knew what happened. Whoever you are, I hate you. Wish I caught your license plate...

I opened the door and looked under the car, which appeared to still be standing on all 4 wheels. There was traffic approaching me from the distance, and as there was nowhere to pull over, I re-started, and slowly/carefully got back on the highway, to get off on the next exit and inspect the damage.

Pics are from the analysis at Symbolic earlier today. New rear clam and rear wheel are most likely at this point. Other than that, she still purrs perfect...

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
4 more pics...

Looking for sympathy. Has this ever happened to you?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
AW MAN!!!!! That sux. I can pretty much guarantee you're more pissed at that 'fellow motorer', than you let on here. I would be so mad as they drove off into the distance. Most likely talking on a cell phone. DUMBA$$es!

Best wishes getting it all shiny and new again. Maybe you can get some mods in there as well. Sorry this happened to you.
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AW MAN!!!!! That sux. I can pretty much guarantee you're more pissed at that 'fellow motorer', than you let on here. I would be so mad as they drove off into the distance. Most likely talking on a cell phone. DUMBA$$es!

Best wishes getting it all shiny and new again. Maybe you can get some mods in there as well. Sorry this happened to you.
Cheers,
Skottoman
You have no idea.
I intentionally witheld from the commentary the gender and cell phone issue, as I did not see the driver... in short though, I wanted to chase them, bump them off the road, drag them out of the window by the hair and ... whatever. I had 2 days to absorb this. Thank god the wife is awesome supportive. $#!+ happens.

Thanks for the encouragement... :)
Luke

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Sad bannana

Also is your company hiring. Judging by the parking lot I would like a job :). Look on the brightside: nobody got hurt.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
nevermind I cant read

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
This just happened to me the other night. Luckily I was able to swerve enough to get out of the way. It was a young girl on the cell phone driving a Hummer3. When I was able to get beside her to yell WTF are you doing? She got off the phone just long enough to give me a valley girl "whatever".

As soon as I have the money. I'm getting a ChaseCam set up that I can have running all the time on loop.

BTW, so sorry you were a victim of this idiot driver.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Those pictures really make me sad, but I am glad you are not hurt and your car wasn't damaged beyond repair. I haven't had this happen to me in my Elise yet, but it has happened in my other cars and on my motorcycles. Fortunately I was able to escape damage or injury each time, but all of them just drove off like your guy except for one who did it to me while she was in front of a cop. I went for the shoulder of the road and he took off after her immediately. After I came to a stop and my heart slowed down again, I continued down the road and stopped behind the cop. I never left my car, but the cop walked back to me to make sure I was OK and told me to just leave after I said I was fine and there was no damage. He said he would make sure she paid for such a stupid move.......ahh finally sweet revenge! Now, I never drive anywhere near someone's rear quarter and if I find myself there I quicky accelerate past them or drop back. With a car like the Elise (or a motorcycle) we are invisible to other drivers not turning their heads to look when changing lanes and we will always lose the battle when we are hit or run off the road. Again, sorry to see the damage to your car. :sad:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Sorry to see the damage, Luke... but glad you're OK. I've had my share of close calls by people merging on top of me too... so far I've been lucky.

Here's hoping it'll just be a faint unpleasant memory soon!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Sucks man, I had a close call this morning with a truck, but I got lucky (even though I was INFRONT of him, wtf???). Its dangerous in these cars sometimes with blind spots and idiots. Glad to hear you walked away uninjured. I think you've done a clam replacement before. It sucks to deal with, but worth it in the end, good luck

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Hope you're feeling more upbeat Lucas - I feel your pain. Not sure if that'll be repairable, but what do I know...

If the car was able to drive, why not try and catch him to get plate number....or more...
Unless there was an independent witness, getting a plate number is irrelevant unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I am very sorry this happened to you swistun.

I'm glad your ok and I hope the car comes back stronger than ever in a timely manner.

Rotten tomatoes to that inattentive driver. :mad: I know your pissed, I would be too!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
That really sucks! It reminds me when my father told me the story of when his Elan was run over by a cement truck on the 405.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
wow, glad it wasn't worse.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts