The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple weeks ago, I posted a question about where to find the amber/clear lenses for a stephens' bumpered esprit. Someone was kind enough to point me in the direction of SJ Sportscars in England.

They have both the lenses and the whole lamp/lens assembly. In their notes, SJS states that the lenses can be modified to work on the US market Lucas housings......... yes, they can.

Sorry for not taking pictures of the process, but basically the mounting posts inside the lenses are different between the US and the euro housings. To make the euro lenses work, I used a caliper to measure the difference in post height. Basically, it was about .300" difference. I quickly chucked the new euro lenses up in my mill and I milled off .300" of plastic from each mounting post. BAM! DONE!

the screws holes are slightly off with the housings but they are close enough that with a bit of pressure you can get the new lenses to line up and mount using the existing holes.

the new euro lenses are a lighter amber than the US market lenses. Behind the clear lens, I bought a pair of 1156 amber bulbs and sprayed them with a very light coat of pearly white spray paint (a can of Krylon Whisper White the wifey had left over from some project.) When completed the you can't see the amber turn signal bulbs behind the clear the lens, but they light up orange when activated. works out perfectly!

here's a picture of the before and after:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about it just to give the white portion a "city light" effect, but the stock bulb is not really bright enough...and it looked too dim and not too good, imo. A new brighter bulb might make a difference though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts