The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got done installing a pair of JL Audio VR650-CXi in the rears. The sound is like day and night over the stock pair. Of course they're not drop in but it only took a couple of extra minutes to get them to work. Here were the extra steps that you'd need to do:

1) trim the opening to accept the larger diameter
2) make a spacer
3) remove some of the padding behind the speaker

I was able to install the driver side speaker without having to remove the seat. the passenger side had to be removed. Start to finish, including fabricating the speaker ring was about 1.5 hours.

Here are some pics of the finished product.

If anyone is interested in adding the same speakers in the back and you don't want to go through the hassle of making the speaker rings, PM me.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That is FANTASTIC! Did you R&R the fronts as well with 5.25" and Jim Clayton's speaker rings?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll fabricate my own rings for the front and replace the stock speaker with JL Audio VR525-CXi. They're on back order but hopefully I'll have them by next weekend so I can do the install.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'll fabricate my own rings for the front and replace the stock speaker with JL Audio VR525-CXi. They're on back order but hopefully I'll have them by next weekend so I can do the install.
You can get them on Ebay for about $79

Bought mine new there and am loving life.

·
Registered
912 Posts
how are your spacer rings made?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made them the old fashion way by hand out of .220 plexiglass from the cut out template that came with the speakers.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

I just got done installing the JLs in the rear....looks like they are discontinuing that model:

JL Audio - Evolution, Discontinued

I will say that although there is an improvement from the alpine speakers that came with my car, it was not as dramatic an improvement as when I changed out the crappy Blaupunkts on my 05 elise...

The rear alpines that came with my 08 were about 3/4" shallower than the JL...I probably should have removed some foam - it would have made it easier...especially since I did it without removing the seat...

·
Registered
821 Posts
My JL TR 5.25's will be here Thursday.. :nanner: (going the simple route 5.25 up front and out back)

Jim has already sent me a set of rings (wow he's fast).

·
Registered
369 Posts
any pics of the 5.25's mounted up front?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts