The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone,

I've been modding my ride since I've got it last year ,from exterior body mods to interior mods and little intake/exhaust mods:

Engine wise, I've recently installed the weapon-R (same as Exige Motorwerks) intake and headers (ceramic coated inside and outside) + decat and Von Hep exhaust (came with the Elise). The result: there is much there less air flow restriction and better throttle response and linear acceleration. I'm not quite ready for SC or Turbo yet - want to keep N/A power.

Recently, I've checked out the http://www.pulstarplug.com/ website. I was very skeptical and curious about their HP/torque increase claims and thought maybe just another expensive snake oil. However, a 30 days money back guarantee - so why not.

I've decided to pull the trigger and ordered them directly from their website a few days ago and received the Pulstar plugs yesterday - the tips are bigger than my current NGK Iridium IX plugs. Just installed them 1 hour ago, took about 25 minutes. You can check out their website to for further info.

I took a drive right after the install. I just came back from a quick drive around Long Beach. OMFG! the car has such a ridiculous kick to it now - there is definitely more torque - The car just lurched and jumped forward when I slammed on the accelerator. Amazing immediate throttle response. One more thing, it SCREAMS and KICKS (repeating myself)! The 2nd cam appeared to come on quicker, stronger and sooner. My buttdyno said this car feels like an SC (I know, you guys here it before!). The idle RPM is about 200 RPM lower - but it just has way much more torque and the acceleration is just much quicker, and it seems have have more power ready to unleash. I was driving around the LB Grand Prix course - they are beginning to take down the race barrier! I seriously need a DYNO for my Elise - anyone know a dyno place in LA, OC or SD? I'm curious if I had any HP gain from all my mods - feels like at least 20-25HP more (yep another cheesy unscientific buttdyno!)

I wasn't sure and thought maybe it's just my self-suggestive power belief. So, I have my buddy, a car-guy, who just recently drove my Elise. He also couldn't believe the surge in throttle response and torque the car now has. I'm not a mechanical guy so I may not use all the correct terminology. However, I know the the car definitely run harder, quicker, stronger and torquier (is that a word?)

I give the Pulstar spark plugs a thumb up! Let's see how long they last or going to damage anything. You guys can give it a try and decide for yourself!

My offer of proof: If anyone has an N/A Elise and in the Long Beach/OC area, and would like to check my Elise out for comparison (maybe a test drive), let me know. I want to share my experience and enthusiasm!

Happy motoring and modding!

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Hmmm, I just saw those. Thought to myself "What a bunch of complete snake oil huckster crap along the lines of Slick 50 and Splitfire plugs" and went with the Denso Iridium's instead. Haven't put them in yet. I just figured the spark obviously has no problem jumping the gap or lighting off the fuel mixture. If it did my emissions test would not of just been all hunky dorey. I think you are feeling a lot of butt dyno. The A/F mixture was lighting off before, and it's lighting off now. Once it is lit the flame front travels across the piston dome. I don't see how it could get more lit. I have had great success with MSD ignitions before, but on very built engines which I felt may need more power for the spark to jump the gap- under greatly increased compression or fair amounts of boost. Sorry I'm always such a sceptic on these things.

·
Premium Member
11,717 Posts
We, or at least I, would feel better if you'd, say, timed the car in one (high) gear (w/o a shift, to minimize error factors) before the install, then timed it again (same day, same road, same loading).

Anyway, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm curious as to how long this "surge" will last. Update us in a few weeks with any changes. Glad to hear it's going well so far! On a sidenote, how do you like your Weapon*R Intake? I've got one myself and just wanted to know how you liked it in your elise and what difference it made.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm interested but would like to see back to back dyno tests. I just remember that my fastest laps times seemed like my slowest laps. So I don't trust my butt, I trust the stopwatch.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I am sceptical of the whole report, but most especially gave up on all hope of credibility as soon as I read that the second cam seems to kick in sooner.

That's just stupid.

xtn

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I am sceptical of the whole report, but most especially gave up on all hope of credibility as soon as I read that the second cam seems to kick in sooner.

That's just stupid.

xtn
Maybe the OP meant that the car gets to the 6200 switch over point faster

·
Registered
471 Posts
Is it possible the old plugs were fouled and not sparking correctly and the new ones actually work the way they are supposed to?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I would worry that these plugs would change the effective timing of the ignition seeing as how the method for creating the spark is different. For example, you may be getting more timing advance than with standard plugs. This could give you extra power, but it might be at the cost of risk of long-term damage to the engine.

Could someone who knows more than me about timing, power, and damage risk chime in?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I looked at the site and it was very apealing. But What I do not understand is how that they can say that they are upping increasing the power by 10x. They are using what looks like a capacitors inside of a spark plug, I can understand how a capacitor works but spark plugs do no have constant power running to them and even if the did I cannot see how this mysterious circuit works. A quote from the cynlider pressure page says""WOW...9 more horsepower and quick off the line!" - Ben, 2007 NISMO This guy could feel 9 HP in a car? if the car had 100 HP that is a 9% difference, you might feel it. In a 200 HP car that is a 4.5% difference could you feel it? Als, these spark plugs say that they increase cylinder pressure, how can a spark plug increase cylinder pressure without out adding more are or fuel. Many people know that our cars have what the computer thinks is an ideal fuel mixture. Too much fuel and the car will not fire too little and you need a bigger spark. I am not saying that they do not work and that you might have felt a difference but just very cautious......

Maybe each of these plugs has a tiny blower in them

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I worked at a major sparkplug manufacturer - the engineers would howl with laughter over these kinds of products. As long as they don't do any damage, no harm done I guess...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Sweet DAddy, do not knock slick 50, back in 1978 we had it in a Cessna 172 that ran out of oil pressure 18 min out from the airport. Pilot flew it in under power. FAA regs had us take the engine apart and do the overhaul, basically nothing was replaced. Put it in my motorcycle after that.
A good set of plugs can make a huge difference. Do not believe the 2nd cam kicked in earler...just felt like it, faster responce time.
I put a msd ignition in my old 02 replacing the points and picked up 400rpm at idle

·
Inactive
831 Posts
There's only two possible outcomes to ignition - the mixture lights, or it doesn't. If it ignites the burn rate is determined by the air/fuel ratio, fuel molecule breakdown and spacing of molecules (dynamic compression / boost etc). For gasoline at atmospheric pressure the burn rate is actually fairly slow. If Mr Tesla discharges into the cylinder to ignite the mixture, the burn is about the same, and the power is the same. For the second case, if the mixture does not ignite, then you get a misfire. OEs do everything then can to prevent this as this will fail any sort of emissions test. The whole process is actually chaotic, which is why a misfire (or knock) will not occur every cycle with the same input conditions. So if the mixture lights, you're going to get the same outcome (ie power) no matter how well you light it off. The best you can do is to give the plug enough energy to ignite the mixture every time and use a electrode tip which lasts a long time - platinum is good, iridium is harder and the best corrosion resistant material, so therefore the best electrode material. Any test which shows a magic plug performing better was just starting with a crippled ignition system to begin with. However, it has been proven that adding capacitance between the coil and plug (or in the plug) does give a stronger spark - which may be good it you're at the limit of the stock ignition system (under boost).

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

That's just stupid.

xtn
As I mentioned previously, I'm not a mechanically inclined person, so I'm not the best person to explain how the internal combustion works. Personally, it just felt and appeared that way as I drove it after the install - it's a possibility that's all butt dyno - I understand - I have no scientific facts or numbers to show, just that the ride felt differently afterward in a positive way for me.

Same as you guys, I'm very curious though about an actual dyno test result to see if there was any actual improvement! So any one knows a decent dyno testing place in LA/OC/SD - I'm willing to spend the $200 or so to test it out. I wish I had it dyno when it was stock! I'm just sharing my experience, that's all! Maybe it's just a snake oil? Hopefully, the engine won't blow up.

By the way, my NGK Iridium plugs had only about 1,100 miles on it as I just had the 30,000 mile service. They still looked good so I kept them. The ignition and everything else were working fine prior to the install. I welcome any Lotus owners to check out my Elise, drive it and shed some better light for me - I'm willing to learn and understand if it does or does not actually make any difference/improvement. If you think it's all BS - It's no big deal, I'm Ok with it. Just experimenting with different products out there!

Happy modding!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
As I mentioned previously, I'm not a mechanically inclined person, so I'm not the best person to explain how the internal combustion works. Personally, it just felt and appeared that way as I drove it after the install - it's a possibility that's all butt dyno - I understand - I have no scientific facts or numbers to show, just that the ride felt differently afterward in a positive way for me.

Same as you guys, I'm very curious though about an actual dyno test result to see if there was any actual improvement! So any one knows a decent dyno testing place in LA/OC/SD - I'm willing to spend the $200 or so to test it out. I wish I had it dyno when it was stock! I'm just sharing my experience, that's all! Maybe it's just a snake oil? Hopefully, the engine won't blow up.

By the way, my NGK Iridium plugs had only about 1,100 miles on it as I just had the 30,000 mile service. They still looked good so I kept them. The ignition and everything else were working fine prior to the install. I welcome any Lotus owners to check out my Elise, drive it and shed some better light for me - I'm willing to learn and understand if it does or does not actually make any difference/improvement. If you think it's all BS - It's no big deal, I'm Ok with it. Just experimenting with different products out there!

Happy modding!
There really is no point in dynoing it now, without putting it back the way it was and dynoing it that way. Just having a current dyno answers no questions and just fuels the debate.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts