The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a set from JAE. I think they are 28 or 26 way adjustable. Installed with stock springs. The hardest part was taking out the stock setup. Good thing I did cause 3 out of the 4 stock shocks were blown. Set the height and the dampning at 15. The ride is 200 percent better than stock. I'll let you guys know when the suspension settles and I take it down Mulhulland. Sorry if the pictures are big. Uploaded straight from my Blackberry.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
:clap:

Nice looking shocks. You might want to consider resizing your photos to a little smaller dimension.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'll also vouch for the Spax. Put a set on my V8 a while back. Completely happy with them for my purposes. You might want to call JAE and discuss a good start setting to work from.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Going to be hard to chose between the SPAX and the Protechs. How does one choose? Price?

I just want a nice ride driving around town -- no serious track time for me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
We should meet up after this heat in LA dies down and take a few rides around town in both our cars to compare the difference. I'm very curious to the ride VS stock.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
What made it hard to get the stock dampers out? Corrosion on the bolts?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Under normal circumstances changing the front shocks is quite difficult without the proper spring compressors, and even then is tough. Don't start the front untill you have all the right tools and procedures.
The rears are not too bad if you disconnect the upper control arm.
Any corrosion makes it a little harder.

Randy

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are so right. The fronts were a pain in the butt. Use a motorcycle spring compressor. It's small and compact so they're perfect for the fronts. The rears were pretty straight forward. Make sure you have 2 jacks. Very helpful. It was much easier putting the new coilovers on.

Under normal circumstances changing the front shocks is quite difficult without the proper spring compressors, and even then is tough. Don't start the front untill you have all the right tools and procedures.
The rears are not too bad if you disconnect the upper control arm.
Any corrosion makes it a little harder.

Randy

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Looks great. The stance is just right.

What size tire do you have in the front? Does it rub at all?

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
How are the spax dampers working out? Any trouble getting things dialed to your liking?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Looking forward to the day when my Esprit "needs" susp. work...hard to justify though when everything is perfect...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Knobs are fairly easy to get to on the rears. You have to turn the wheel one way to get to the knobs on the front. Ride height is adjustable with a coilover wrench. I have my setup dialed in at 16 clicks from 0 all around. The ride is great. Not too solft but stiff enough to take turns with barely any body role. The instructions says to make adjustments in 4 click incriments so if the shocks are 28 way adjustable then the setting is set at level 4 out of 7. I have 3 more levels of stiffening left if I want too.

How are the spax dampers working out? Any trouble getting things dialed to your liking?

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Sounds nice; you have original OEM springs installed?

·
Registered
913 Posts
My 88 Esprit came with Spax coilovers on it, im always messing around with the suspension adjustments. The rears are super easy to get to, the fronts are not. The car had these shocks on it when I bought it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts