The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

After finally pulling the trigger on a Lotus Elise I am currently waiting for it to be delivered. My options where a Evora, Viper, 2020 Supra or a RHD Skyline GTR. I feel like I have made the right decision. I live in the Shenandoah Valley near Harrisonburg Virginia and would like to know if there is a good place to get a State Inspection done. I understand due to our vehicles lift points it would not be a good idea to take it to any normal inspection station. I have seen a few Evoras around town and wondering if anyone else is on this board near Harrisonburg? Anyone know of a good place to get a state inspection that may deal with higher end vehicles? I really dont want to drive the 2 hours north to the Ferrari dealership which I have heard take Lotus's in for inspections, but may do that if I have no option. I plan on making some phone calls to places tommorow to see if we can work something out. I will be making a thread of my experience purchasing and the first few days of ownership in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
I would go to a local inspection station and speak to them about it. Here they do nto need to get on a lift., but they may want to jack it up[they do not for me]

Having a relationship with the local place, knowing how they act, is to me the best idea

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am in Texas and I just talked to the owner of the shop. He does some exotics as well and was professional. In general he never even touched the car. we went through the inspection together and I just did whatever he needed. (This is a older gentleman that owns the shop and does all the inspections). I would try something similar before I drove 2 hours. I would be hesitant to go to a random shop, especially if it has to go on a lift.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information guys. I talked to the State Inspection guy at a local place that I take my other cars to and he said he wouldnt have to put it on a lift. As long as he could see the brakes from the outside he would have no issue doing visual inspections.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
That's how it is here in VA as well - if you go to a big shop with a dedicated inspection stall they have a roll-on lift and pit arrangement that allows an undercarriage and brake inspection without jacking the car off its wheels. Inspection for my Elise was completely painless and very fast last summer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where in VA are you located? Still looking for a shop to take my Lotus in for service when needed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Congrats! Any pics or specs?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Where in VA are you located? Still looking for a shop to take my Lotus in for service when needed.
"For service" is a very different proposition than "get an annual inspection." I'm in Charlottesville, and have taken all my cars to Bob's Wheel Alignment for years because a) he's convenient to where I work, b) he's not the cheapest in town, so has good equipment and is willing to pay good technicians, but not a rip-off artist either, and c) he has a good reputation of standing behind his shops work even when a mechanic makes an expensive mistake. I have had Bob's do front end work on my Ford product, they've installed several sets of Tire Rack tires for different cars over the years, and have done all my annual inspections for most of a decade.

That said, they don't have any special knowledge or skills related to a Lotus. They'd probably be OK doing a wheel alignment, and did a fine job on the inspection, but don't know about Lotus-specific things, and I don't think I'd trust them with that. I generally do my own maintenance and major work on all my cars unless I'm overbooked or don't have the equipment.

I don't know of a shop south of the NoVA area in VA that really does have that kind of detailed exotic car knowledge.

I am, incidentally looking for a good body shop for my Elise after last Saturday's parking lot incident. Am willing to drive the car to NoVA if necessary, but would prefer metro Richmond / central VA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello

After finally pulling the trigger on a Lotus Elise I am currently waiting for it to be delivered. My options where a Evora, Viper, 2020 Supra or a RHD Skyline GTR. I feel like I have made the right decision. I live in the Shenandoah Valley near Harrisonburg Virginia and would like to know if there is a good place to get a State Inspection done. I understand due to our vehicles lift points it would not be a good idea to take it to any normal inspection station. I have seen a few Evoras around town and wondering if anyone else is on this board near Harrisonburg? Anyone know of a good place to get a state inspection that may deal with higher end vehicles? I really dont want to drive the 2 hours north to the Ferrari dealership which I have heard take Lotus's in for inspections, but may do that if I have no option. I plan on making some phone calls to places tommorow to see if we can work something out. I will be making a thread of my experience purchasing and the first few days of ownership in a few weeks.
I live in Arlington and my local station does inspection in 15 min with no need to jack car. I had initial problems with Emissions testing however. At the time there was a software issue
in VA Emission Test Units which failed to recognize the car. Haven't had any issues since. I'm surprised that seeing the car was purchased in VA, it was not sold with a recent valid inspection. Best bet is talk with the inspector about your concerns, and I never let them drive the car into the bay. Word has it, VA may stop inspections in 2020.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was purchased in FL and shipped up. I have also heard they are stopping inspections if they can get it passed. The people at the Inspection station were not to happy about it.
"For service" is a very different proposition than "get an annual inspection." I'm in Charlottesville, and have taken all my cars to Bob's Wheel Alignment for years because a) he's convenient to where I work, b) he's not the cheapest in town, so has good equipment and is willing to pay good technicians, but not a rip-off artist either, and c) he has a good reputation of standing behind his shops work even when a mechanic makes an expensive mistake. I have had Bob's do front end work on my Ford product, they've installed several sets of Tire Rack tires for different cars over the years, and have done all my annual inspections for most of a decade.

That said, they don't have any special knowledge or skills related to a Lotus. They'd probably be OK doing a wheel alignment, and did a fine job on the inspection, but don't know about Lotus-specific things, and I don't think I'd trust them with that. I generally do my own maintenance and major work on all my cars unless I'm overbooked or don't have the equipment.

I don't know of a shop south of the NoVA area in VA that really does have that kind of detailed exotic car knowledge.

I am, incidentally looking for a good body shop for my Elise after last Saturday's parking lot incident. Am willing to drive the car to NoVA if necessary, but would prefer metro Richmond / central VA.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
259 Posts
Post 9 mentions local shop could probably do alignment, etc but not Lotus specific stuff. Caution here. The suspensions are finicky to get dialed it. I've have 3 done. 2 by reputable independents in NJ. The only one to get it real tight was unfortunately, dealer. Did a shock upgrade and lowered front/raised back slightly, causing need for 3rd alignment. Dealer got it right. God news with these cars is its pretty much a set and forget, unless you want to add/subtract shims for track day's. Afterwards, put the shims back in/out and motor on home :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Post 9 mentions local shop could probably do alignment, etc but not Lotus specific stuff. Caution here. The suspensions are finicky to get dialed it. I've have 3 done. 2 by reputable independents in NJ. The only one to get it real tight was unfortunately, dealer. Did a shock upgrade and lowered front/raised back slightly, causing need for 3rd alignment. Dealer got it right. God news with these cars is its pretty much a set and forget, unless you want to add/subtract shims for track day's. Afterwards, put the shims back in/out and motor on home :)
Thank you for that information. I believe I have a Lotus dealer about a hour away in Charlotesville VA. Maybe someone can confirm that with me that it is still open? The website is hit or miss, some say its there, some say its a Porsche dealer. I dont plan on tracking it or messing with any suspension, just plan on taking it through the windy mountain roads here! :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Danny the closest Lotus dealers are in PA and NJ. You can find some indie shops that will work on Lotus. I found a good one for alignment in Virginia Beach and I'm sure there are some in your area. Race Werks in VB and last time I was there three Lotus were there on a Monday morning at 9am for various work. I'll be going back in a couple of months to have alignment and corner balance checked and confirmed after borrowing club scales and attempting all of that myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good information Catsailr27. I believe FLOW lotus is going to be the closest at around 3 and a half hours. Im going to call around to some local higher end shops and just see what they say. I dont plan on needing any to take it anywhere soon, but always good to have a backup. Most of the stuff I should be able to take here, but sometimes I get in moods where I just dont want to work in the vehicle and would rather pay someone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Garage was finished on Wednesday and we primed and painted her yesterday so she is all good now. Ill post some painted photos later, this is just primer. (Lotus had cover over it while it was being painted and primed) :D

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Congrats on your new acquisition. I was disappointed to see that they're talking about phasing out vehicle inspections. I used to live next door to Ohio, which has no inspection requirement, and made the mistake of buying a used car there once. Never again.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had recalled reading about Flow closing but it looks like what closed was their online parts ordering. That's good news for me in NC!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

Hi Danny

Congrats on the purchase. I recently visited Wirewheel (I live in FL) and purchased a yellow 2005 Elise from them. So far all good with the car and their support. All the best with the car.

Chuck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts