The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2005 Elise from FVMC, great guys... However I did not notice untill I was home that I have a headlight out. I'm sure if I had caught it while I was there FVMC would have fixed me up, I just e-mailed Rick about dropping a bulb in the mail with another minor part I need. I will likely hear from him tomorrow. However, having just purchased this car I have some anxiety about digging into these headlights without someone there to give moral support and advice. I take apart my FV class racecar often durring a season but even with the how-to instructions I have found here regarding bulb change on the elise I am hesitant. Is there anyone near me that has done this that can stand by my side and walk me through it this first time? I can drive it to your house or you can come over to mine, whatever you prefer. I will try to attach a photo of the car below:
Copy of MyCar.JPG

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
It may be a fuse; the headlights are on separate fuses. I would check that first as it's easy (under the front access panel).

If you have to change the bulb, it's pretty easy. Hopefully someone local will help you out. Beautiful car by the way.

If no one local contacts you, pm me. Maybe I can walk you through it over the phone. Also, search some old threads; I think there were some good ones with pictures.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
headlight

I did not think about the fuse possibility. I will check that tomorrow. Is there a good guide on the inner panel stating what fuse is what? I would check my manual but it is wet and I need to dry it out before I can turn it's pages.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I did not think about the fuse possibility. I will check that tomorrow. Is there a good guide on the inner panel stating what fuse is what? I would check my manual but it is wet and I need to dry it out before I can turn it's pages.
Once it's dried out, look at page 142 in your manual, in the electrical section, and the pages before. Instructions how to change out the bulb.

Note that because you have sport wheels (wider) you'll likely have to remove the wheel to get the liner out. If you had base wheels you could get the liner out just by aiming the front wheel in.

Good luck. It's not difficult. The very same thing happened to me when I bought an Elise new in NJ and drove it home to MD.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Note that because you have sport wheels (wider) you'll likely have to remove the wheel to get the liner out. If you had base wheels you could get the liner out just by aiming the front wheel in.
Just to clarify, lotusforsale means you have to remove the wheel to change the bulb, not the fuse. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Welcome!

I have ZERO auto mechanical ability.

But I had a headlight out last year, and a friend of mine who has been a Lotus owner for 30 years helped me out - and it was EASY. If I had to do it again, I would do it without his help.

I bought the bulb at AutoZone for $6. It took about an hour or a little more to change it, but mostly that was because I was doing things so slowly cuz I was a chicken.

I live in Western Illinois, so I can't be there to help you. But it was quite easy, even for me.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I now welcome you to the KG Mafia!:bow:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey FV racer,

I know you'll enjoy your elise. If you have the opportunity to drive the elise on the same tracks you race the vee you'll likely note similar lap times. Ask me how I know. rotflrotfl

You don't have to be in a draft to get over 110 in the elise though. And don't even think about bump drafting! Think the nose on your vee is fragile.

Jim A.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just picked up an 05 Elise today and have the drivers side headlight that seemed to stop working on its maiden voyage home. I'll check this out tomorrow. You guys have been very helpful so far. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If you have a light out just change them all. I found that after one goes the other will go in a few hours to a few days. I’m on my 3rd set. First time one went out I changed it and looked at the other and it hade a few bubbles on it. Got to drive home with no low beams once when the second set went out. When I checked the high beams one had a dark spot on it, so I did all 4 one more time.

It’s EZ to change the bulbs, just take your time.

Have fun and congratulations on the new Lotus.

Kevin

·
Registered
32 Posts
his may be a terribly idiotic question but my drivers side (high and low beams) are bad on my 06 elise and I was wondering what the part number for them is ie.h4 or what. Thank you so much for your help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts