The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I am an existing Elise (Mk1) owner and I have just put down the deposit for a 2002, 111S, 16,000 miles, Ardent Red with Air con.. I am going to pick it up this weekend and cannot wait! I am in the UK by the way and it is great to see that you guys across the pond are enjoying the new Elise as well..

Quick question though.. I heard the Lotus had to make quite a few modifications to allow the Elise on your roads? Is this the case and if so what did they have to do? I hear that you guys cant get your hands on one of these due to traffic laws in the US

Damn shame if thats the case, its incredible. Until it rains (as it does a lot over here!)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi Fieldy>>>

Oh so true we can not get that car here...we are just thankful that we can finally get the Elise...what a car!
Yes there were a few changes for the Fed [as in Federalized or US version] Elise and a few exemptions from Federal requirements were obtained by Lotus..
Differences (what is on US verison)
-190 hp engine (think that is now your 111R version)/6 spd tranny
-dual airbags
-ABS braking
-A/C (a very light weight system)
-interior upgrades
-exterior side markers (getting use to them)

exemptions:
-exterior reflective markers
-2.5 mph bumper crash requirments
-headlights

The exemptions are only good for 3 years and some feel that at that time the Elise will change (especially due to bumper requirements)...

Our cars are weighing in at about 1900 lbs whereas I think you guys 'across the pond' are at about 1750 lbs.

We (unfortunately the cars are arriving VERY slowly) the few that have gotten the Elise are just totally loving the car...great ride and with the 190 hp engine it moves:D

I am quite sure I have missed a few details but that will be corrected as other forum members reply...

The picture...is that your car in particular?
Michael

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The picture...is that your car in particular?
Unfortunately not! My current Lotus is more like this:

Essentially its a go kart, no extras whatsoever. But hey that makes it light and therefore pretty damn quick. I also had the exhaust system modified by my dealer (Bell and Collvile) so it makes quite a racket!

I saw the 111R in the showroom the other day, looked great, but carries a heft price tag about £30000. It also has a different engine (Toyota) to the other (Rover) Elise's.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI Fieldy,
Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the new car your getting as much as I'm sure you enjoyed the s1!

As pointed out some changes had to be made for the US, fortunately some exemptions were awarded, that said it holds pretty close to what the elise is supposed to be.
Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im guessing here, but they must have done a lot of work to a 340R to make it road legal in the states? Im curious as to how much they had to 'sanitize' it. Everytime i see one i start to weigh up the pros and cons of owning one.. Not having a garage pretty much rules it out!!

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Welcome and good luck with you new aquisition . Man, I start drooling everytime I see a 340.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts