The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks cute enough, somewhat heavier & much smaller than I'd expect.

Shinoo perhaps you could post photos of install, instructions in box were lacking in this regard. I'm concerned re windshield.

Once I get it installed I'll give my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
hpman said:
It looks cute enough, somewhat heavier & much smaller than I'd expect.

Shinoo perhaps you could post photos of install, instructions in box were lacking in this regard. I'm concerned re windshield.

Once I get it installed I'll give my 2 cents.

Got mine also. Thanks, Shinoo.

The instruction sheet convinced me that I'm not going to do it myself. I'm due for 7500 mile servicing in a month or so, hence I will let the dealer do the install.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
jml1952 said:
The instruction sheet convinced me that I'm not going to do it myself.
I removed my mirror recently. It's rather simple process. I used a "O-ring pick" (small pointed and curved "hook") to snap the back of the plastic cover on the mirror mount downward. Then I used the pick to pull down on the tab on the mirror part of the mount - you can actually look through the glass from above to watch what you are doing. While holding down on the clip, I gently "bopped" the mirror near the top of the glass in a direction parallel to the glass toward the front of the car. It popped off so easily, I almost didn't catch it. You do have to release the clip though. A bent heavy paper clip would do the job if you don't have the picks...

I, unfortunately, don't like the oval shape of the replacement mirror, so I was planning to take the mirror to the local auto glass shop to see if they have anything smaller, or can at least identify the type/years that the GM mirror came from (I'm afraid that it is a GM of Europe mirror and not available in the US).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mounted & tested. Looks like it belongs in the Elise. Styling is superb. A little heavy. Visability just fine. A quality piece. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
TimMullen said:
I, unfortunately, don't like the oval shape of the replacement mirror, so I was planning to take the mirror to the local auto glass shop to see if they have anything smaller, or can at least identify the type/years that the GM mirror came from (I'm afraid that it is a GM of Europe mirror and not available in the US).
Tim - I would be interested see how you make out - although I put up with no night position in the Elan for a lot of years I don't fancy going back to that if I don't have to.... So let us know if you find an alternate.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
GaryD said:
So let us know if you find an alternate.
I will, but I'm not holding my breath. Lotus uses lot of parts from other maker's parts bins, but unfortunately the other cars are often not available here. We'll see...

G

·
Look into the Mercedes SLK 230/320. It has a small round mirror.

I don't know about cost and the mounting method, though?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,461 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Huh? I don't get it. This mirror was to be a direct fit for the original mount. All you have to do is unclip the original off.
Anthony,
It is a direct fit. It is pretty easy. Removing the stock piece is accomplished as described by Tim above. Remove the old mirror and reinstall the new one on the stock window cleat.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
shinoo said:
Anthony,
It is a direct fit. It is pretty easy. Removing the stock piece is accomplished as described by Tim above. Remove the old mirror and reinstall the new one on the stock window cleat.
Thats what I thought... The mirror looks great. I gonna get one when I finally get my car back :(

Shinoo, do have more pics of the carbon fiber front spolier with the splitters installed on an actual car?

·
Super Moderator
6,822 Posts
I can say that I have *never* used the day/night "feature" on the rear view mirror of any car. I find it harder to squnit and strain to see what's going on in the darker half-reflecting mode than to just move my head a 1/4" one way or the other and change lanes, or whatever.

Of course, I've never used cruise control either, so maybe I'm a little different.

The mirror looks great Shinoo, I'm going to have to order one in black when I get the car out of storage.

--Josh

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
shinoo said:
Anthony,
Well, I found the part about needing two sets of hands and especially the part about being careful not to crack the windshield a bit disconcerting.

Of course, the Lotus manual suggested two people to remove the hardtop and I found that it was easy to do by myself.

I did not receive any part of the mechanic gene, so I tend to shy away from do it yourself projects. I'm more the intellectual type. ;)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,461 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Shinoo, do have more pics of the carbon fiber front spolier with the splitters installed on an actual car?
Yes, check our site. I posted a new pic of the spoiler on a yellow car with splitters.

·
Registered
658 Posts
JWA said:
I can say that I have *never* used the day/night "feature" on the rear view mirror of any car.
I guess it all has to do with how your vision works. Day or night I almost always have my mirror set to the "night" setting. I can still see everything behind me clearly.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,268 Posts
SLK mirror pics (if anyone is interested)

I don't want to threadjack - but here's the SLK's rear view mirror that was mentioned... Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I installed my microMirror tonight. Pretty easy project. I had a bit of a problem getting a screw driver in to release the clip on the old mirror. I masked off the windshield frame first so the screwdriver wouldn't scratch it up. I think the mirror could be a touch bigger - I can't see the entire visible region out between the two seats. Other than that, I am happy with my new mirror - so much more appropriate than that horrible GM thing.

(Hey hpman, I think I can see my neighborhood in the background of one of your pictures)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Just installed mine. One more suggestion: Put a few thick cotton towels on your dash, just in case the old mirror flies out of your grasp when you push it out of the bracket, and it flings against the dash, bouncing on the dash and the inside of the windscreen.....not that this happened to me, or anything.... :huh:

Fortunately no damage was done. ;)

The new mirror looks really good !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.