The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have just received my 2001 Lotus, I have spoken to British motor cars ltd in CA and have found out the following information:

Aside from compression numbers supplied (see previous thread)

I found out some new information and have a few questions:

1) British motor cars replaced the alarm control module @ 24K miles '08
2) the transmission was serviced at the same time it was re-sealed
3) the clutch was replaced '07 @ 23,500 miles
4) the timing belts were replaced December 2006 @ 23,395 miles

The car has now 26,500 miles. Should I replace the timing belts?? Ive already spent the day tinkering with the car, found a few flaws I am not all that thrilled with, car runs nice though, dashboard lights DONT work, and also fog lamps dont work. Any advice on where to begin? oil looks good all fluids look good, however i did notice driving through town that the temperature goes a tad above 100 mark. Any info? opinions? thoughts? Thanks! fans seem to be working fine, I also noticed when hitting bumps the steering wheel shakes a bit, and shifting fast between 1st and second sometimes it grinds a little into second gear? Perhaps I have a few bugs to work out...

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
1) If the alarm works now that doesn't matter
2) If the transmission isn't leaking now that doesn't matter
3) A little early to replace a clutch but now you have a new one!
4) The belts don't need to be replaced but they should be inspected and tensioned.

For the grinding, I would replace the oil in the transmission or at least make sure there is enough. It is very difficult to determine what type of oil is in there, you can only check the amount. If you have any doubts about the oil the simplest thing to do is to replace it. You should NOT be grinding gears. The transmission is VERY fussy about exactly what kind of oil it has.

For the lights, get the service manual and follow the wiring diagram. Be especially cautious about things that plug in. The connectors in the blocks have a bad habit of moving back and not making good contact when you insert the relay or the fuse.

If the steering wheel shakes something is loose, it should not shake with power steering.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea on what the correct temperature is? Or rather the safe operating temperature around town? Also Red line? Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
The timing belts don't have any miles on them, but they are over 5 years old. Inspecting them probably won't show much, but I would replace them anyway. The consequences with an interferance motor is just to great. $$$$$$ In stop & go traffic 100* C is to be expected even if the ambient temp is not that great 75-80 * F. As long as when the fans come on the temp drops within a few minutes while still in stop & go traffic. You were lucky the plug came out most don't, you wind up damaging the radiator. I never use the bleeder screw at the front of the engine. I park the car on a steep down hill, run the car without the headertank cap, at idle, for 5-10 minutes while slowly adding more coolant to the header tank as air is purged to the top of the hearder tank and the thermostat opens.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I think I figured out why your dash lights don't work. By any chance, do you know where the dimmer switch is for the dash lights?

It is on the console between the seats next to the button that opens the fuel door. If it is all the way dim it would make you think the dash lights are not functioning.
Redline MT-90 is fine for the transaxle. To be on the safe side Wayne is correct, you should replace the belts. Tires over 7 years and battery over 5. Brake and clutch fluid EVERY year. The car has not had much mileage on it recently. I would drive it some more and you may notice other things that will need attending to.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
860 Posts
I thought the dash light circuit was fubar in my 93.5 when I drove it home after the purchase. Turned out the summer was all the way down. On my car the dimmer is a small knob located inconspicuously on the steering column. I drove 75 miles home with no dash lights. Lol. Periodically, I would shine my cell phone at the dash to make sure I wasn't speeding. I sure felt like a jackass when I read about the dimmer in the manual.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I figured out why your dash lights don't work. By any chance, do you know where the dimmer switch is for the dash lights?

It is on the console between the seats next to the button that opens the fuel door. If it is all the way dim it would make you think the dash lights are not functioning.
Redline MT-90 is fine for the transaxle. To be on the safe side Wayne is correct, you should replace the belts. Tires over 7 years and battery over 5. Brake and clutch fluid EVERY year. The car has not had much mileage on it recently. I would drive it some more and you may notice other things that will need attending to.
David Teitelbaum

WIN!!! yes they were all the way down, dash board lights now fully functional. As far as timing belts I just received and estimate of 3200.00 to do them. OUCH. Well if they have to be done they have to be done. As far as the car goes today I will be cleaning it and going over it further. Lets see what happens.

Also when I say RED LINE I mean whats the highest safe engine RPMS

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also anyone ever do their own timing belts on a v8? not saying I plan on doing it, Just curious.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also when I say RED LINE I mean whats the highest safe engine RPMS
This should be in the owner's manual. I believe it is 6500 rpm max continuous and fuel cutoff is at 7000.

Also anyone ever do their own timing belts on a v8? not saying I plan on doing it, Just curious.
I haven't replaced the belts myself, but I have tensioned them (and apparently my dealer did not tension them properly when they were replaced). Seems like it wouldn't be too much more difficult to replace them (hardest part would be getting the center cover off, I think). If you decide you want to give it a try I could loan you the tools.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
The belts themselves are expensive and the labor to do it takes a few hours so it is not a cheap job. It requires some special tools and is difficult because there is not much room for access. Also the price may include replacing the tensioners. If you consider what repairing the motor can cost if the belts go bad, that price will look like small change. If you are not a skilled mechanic I would not recommend learning on this job. Too much at risk if you make even a minor mistake.
If you have an Owner's Manual you should take a few minutes and read it.
As for cleaning, go to Griot'sGarage.com and Leatherique.com for good quality supplies for your new purchase. If you have big feet a pair of driving shoes will help with the small, close pedals.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EXCELLENT! I will have them taken care of by a tech. As of now the car seems good, I just have a problem because when I hit bumps the wheel shakes back and forth (around 60 MPH) there might be loose components underneath. I better take a look. Wish I had a lift.

·
Registered
333 Posts
EXCELLENT! I will have them taken care of by a tech. As of now the car seems good, I just have a problem because when I hit bumps the wheel shakes back and forth (around 60 MPH) there might be loose components underneath. I better take a look. Wish I had a lift.
Lol, had the same question when I got mine, Redline is 7k rpm.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The $3,200.00 price to replace the belts is very high. They must be replacing the tensioners and idlers also. As few miles that are on the car I would question the need for the tensioners and idlers replacement. Also Lotus will replace the cam belts for free, one time. Check with Lotus USA give them your VIN number you may get it for free. If the tensioner and idler bearings are not rough or noisy I would not replace them with such low mileage.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,698 Posts
I have found that barefoot or socks are the way to go with my size 12 feet.
Sweaty socks don't slip off the pedals as easily, but they COULD require an occasional fumigation of the interior! rotfl

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The $3,200.00 price to replace the belts is very high. They must be replacing the tensioners and idlers also. As few miles that are on the car I would question the need for the tensioners and idlers replacement. Also Lotus will replace the cam belts for free, one time. Check with Lotus USA give them your VIN number you may get it for free. If the tensioner and idler bearings are not rough or noisy I would not replace them with such low mileage.
THAT IS VERY GOOD NEWS! Hopefuly the freebie is still possible. I did have another question: today I took it for a drive and after running it I stopped at the store and shut it off. Shortly after (about 10 minutes) I went and started the car back up and noticed that the car smokes out of the tail pipe (black smoke) then after it runs for a few seconds it no longer smokes. This cant be normal right?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I wonder if Lotus would replace the TB on my 88 for free one time? Since if im not mistaken the last Esprit was made in 04 I wouldnt hold my breath on free timing belt replacement even on a newer model. That sounds like a reach to me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder if Lotus would replace the TB on my 88 for free one time? Since if im not mistaken the last Esprit was made in 04 I wouldnt hold my breath on free timing belt replacement even on a newer model. That sounds like a reach to me.

would be awesome that is for sure. could be a time sensitive freebie?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts