The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm sick about it. This morning after owning the car for 4 days I parked up on a low curb I thought would clear. It scratched the entire underside. I'm wondering what my options are, it's only visible if you're really looking but it's only got 8k miles on it. I guess I'll get a color match touch up pen. If you guys have any suggestions I would truly appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,144 Posts
Clam will have to be removed and bottom area repainted.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Awful—one of my fears. I’m going to upgrade my head unit and stereo system once I get my car back from pack rat repairs and I’m going to ask the installer to put in a front facing camera to try to avoid this kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Ouch...that always sucks! Did you crack the panel as well? It may just be a reflection of a line but there it looks like a crack in the upper left hand corner. I use @PLAY-DOH front lip to fight against nasty scrapes like those. He is a great guy to deal with! They are about $300 if I remember correctly and bolt right up with no drilling, uses stock locations.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The clam needs to come off to fix a bumper?
No. The front bumper can be removed without removing the clam. You will have to remove the headlights tho.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Clam will have to be removed and bottom area repainted.
For what is really not visible damage, you can paint it on the car and blend into the existing paint and no one would ever be able to see it even if they were looking for it.
Even at exotic and luxury car dealerships, it's not unusual if a bumper gets dinged while sitting on the lot, that it's spot repaired and blended into the area.

This is a very viable and appropriate repair for simple 2 stage paint jobs. On something like this where the repair isn't in direct sunlight I would even do it with a tri-stage paint job. Where repairs like this wouldn't be appropriate would be tri-stage paint jobs, in a highly visible area, where the paint might match in the shade, but as the sun hits it at different angles the flop might be slightly off.

Bumper shops do this type of repair typically for $150-300. The poster will pay Lotus tax and that number will go up once you pull up in your car, but still it's a relatively cheap and very easy fix.

OP @Erichy Call the local BMW/Mercedes/Porsche dealerships etc. Ask them who they use for damaged bumpers/simple repairs. They will likely know the guy in town who's cheap and still capable.

OR you could throw on a nice GRP front splitter. THey look great, they would hide this completely and prevent it from happening again.
I just slammed my car and pulled up to a curb and crunched my front carbon lip and it sounded AWEFUL, then rolled backwards tried to put it into reverse, put it into first by accident and DID IT AGAIN. ARGHHH.
Thought my front clam was destroyed, jumped out of the car, looked at the front end and it was completely untouched, and I mean literally I can't even see anything and I know all the imperfections. They really do protect the front end!!

·
Premium Member
11,855 Posts
My bit of advice:

Don't go to much trouble about this. Use paint or ~.

But, given the position of the damage, remember to not run over anyone who you are trying to impress....

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Erichy, welcome to the forum! Sorry this had to be your second post.

As Ls1Rx7 mentioned, try a local high end dealer and see if they have someone who can repaint it in situ. Although, removing the front bumper isn't that big of a deal.

When my brother bought his Porsche, the previous owner had a front plate mounted. Part of sale was that the dealership would fill the holes and repaint that area. They had an independent guy come to the dealership (who my brother met while it was being done) and do it on the spot. When he was done, there was no trace of prior holes or even the spot paint to repair it. It was a phenomenal job. So, it might be something worth looking into.

Good luck with the fix and enjoy your new car!! :shift:

·
Hickory, NC
977 Posts
Ouch...that always sucks! Did you crack the panel as well? It may just be a reflection of a line but there it looks like a crack in the upper left hand corner. I use @PLAY-DOH front lip to fight against nasty scrapes like those. He is a great guy to deal with! They are about $300 if I remember correctly and bolt right up with no drilling, uses stock locations.
Or you could go crazy on a new GT430 Splitter for S1’s! A real splitter, not some glue on maxi pad like some are selling

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Where to buy that splitter?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Where to buy that splitter?
Playdoh makes them....the one who posted the pics. I have his non GT version in the pics I posted and he was just showing the other version as well. Have had mine on for quite a while, it has taken a couple of bumps and still looks brand new.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Or you could go crazy on a new GT430 Splitter for S1’s! A real splitter, not some glue on maxi pad like some are selling
Well, NOT exactly a "Real Splitter".
A True Splitter is a Horizontal piece, that properly divides the air over and under the car into aerodynamic directions.
These add on pieces are great for protection and aesthetics, but do slope up to the front of the car thus negating a true splitter effect.
That is why I called the Original one of these a "Splitter-Protector".
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/evora-front-splitter-protector-99320/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys I feel better about it with all your suggestions. I saved a long time to get a car like this which is why it stung so much. 4 days!? Man, I have to remember I'm not driving an old truck anymore. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,784 Posts
It will happen again, such is the life of a low rider... and people want them lower sheesh... Even my Masi has been christened...sh!! happens. Is it a driver or a garage queen?
1. The problem with most of these splitters is they are lower and get hit even more
2. I had one on my 2010 and the forces of the wind flexed it downward at 100+ mph till it exploded one day. Just an FYI Quite exiting for the car behind me hehe

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I would leave it as is for now and ignore it. If it just bothers you far too much and you must do something, sit on it for a while first. I’ve found that it’s not always best to take action on problems as quickly as you can. I would be concerned if it were my car, when I repaired it, I would want to do the best work possible (or have it done) at the best cost value. Ignoring damage that others can’t easily see, or can’t see, seems to work best for me. But, I can understand people that must get it repaired right away too.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I read this post the other night, and thought - that's a good idea. And today - I did it. I road rashed the front of my Evora 40- after 10 months of ownership.
I'm looking into the touch ups from dealer-recommended providers and protection.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts