The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sat in and took pictures of the elise here in Houston for the Superbowl.

The switch is not for the windows. It is for the door locks (serves to lock/unlock both doors at once). Remember, there are no lock switches on the doors themselves.

Also of note, the touring top is very nice (this was a regular car w/ a touring top - not touring package). It can be partially removed to allow easier ingress/egress and then reattached while in the car (total time about 15 seconds).

Finally, this one was covered all over the front/rear w/ protective coating - see pics. It is a LOT of pieces and will have lotus do it for me.

Sills were highly scuffed, I can imagine what will happen to ours - hopefully another option will emerge.

Final note - the reflectors over fenders are a DOT requirement, not a texas one. In fact, texas will allow us to remove them - but will have a hole in the bodywork. So we could unplug them to keep them from lighting up at night.

Final note - the front speakers are 4", the rears 5.25"

That's it for now, i'll answer questions as best I can.

Robert

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Robert,
Thanks for the great post.
Im hoping Shinoo will come up with the nice carbon fibre sills replacements.

Chris

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Robert - Thanks, on the sills pretty sure the dealers will offer either alum or CF. At least for the Euro cars they come standard with the clear guards in front of the rear wheels. If that is the optional clear guard package, it'll have us pretty well covered.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Biomax said:

Final note - the reflectors over fenders are a DOT requirement, not a texas one. In fact, texas will allow us to remove them - but will have a hole in the bodywork.
where did you hear that?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Thank you, nice post ! The reason that the sills were so messed up is because the car was one of those used at the LA Auto Show, and the crowds were like animals when let loose on the cars ! It was not a pretty sight, I can tell you....:mad:

The Lotus people were cringeing, as was anyone who really cares about these cars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nick Adams at the LA show made a point of mentioning that the finish on the sills on the show cars was _not_ the same finish they plan to use in production, which should be much less scratch resistant.

Hopeful that this materializes as true when we finally get the cars,

-Knute

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Say, Biomax, having just re-read your first sentence: "Just sat in and took pictures of the elise here in Houston for the Superbowl"

So is Lotus planning some kind of promotional thing during/as part of the Superbowl ? That would be interesting, I might even have to tape (not watch, but tape) the show - I mean, game...:p

Flamesuit on....

·
Registered
327 Posts
mikester said:
Say, Biomax, having just re-read your first sentence: "Just sat in and took pictures of the elise here in Houston for the Superbowl"

So is Lotus planning some kind of promotional thing during/as part of the Superbowl ? That would be interesting, I might even have to tape (not watch, but tape) the show - I mean, game...:p

Flamesuit on....
Well, they were thinking about giving a new Elise to the Super Bowl MVP. Lotus -- the offical car of the Super Bowl. But I think they reconsidered when they realized that it is possible that an Offensive Tackles could win the MVP award. 6'9" tall. 350 lbs. -- trying to get into an Elise while wearing shoulder pads. Not the product marketing that Lotus really needs.

Anyone care to photoshop my imaginary MVP award ceremony?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Knute said:
Nick Adams at the LA show made a point of mentioning that the finish on the sills on the show cars was _not_ the same finish they plan to use in production, which should be much less scratch resistant.

Hopeful that this materializes as true when we finally get the cars,

-Knute
Less scratch resistent? Do you mean more? Or did they use something thicker as protection for the show?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Whoops!

My comment wasn't very articulate... :D Substitute the word "prone" for "resistant" in my above comment, and it makes more sense...

What I meant to say was: the production finish on the sills will be less prone to scratching; the finish on the sills on the show cars was softer than what will be on the final version.

-K

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Just sat in US elise; mysterious switch info and more.

atyclb said:
where did you hear that?
from the dealer (wally) who was wearing a certified texas Air Check badge which means he's certified by the state to conduct vehicle inspections. They are not required to look for them or check if they're working.

Same for alignment of headlamps,

nor are reverse lights required in the state of texas

Robert

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when i get back to my laptop in a few hours i'll post a few more pics.

i only took ones that would answer various questions on the board. So not to o many pics really.

As for the "event" - it was supposed to be in something tonight and tomorrow. tonight fell through - don't know about tomorrow.

it'll be there through monday at least.

Another thought - we all need to think about how to hardwire in a radar detector. Someone needs a wiring diagram asap to figure out where to tap in under the dash and rroute the wires.

Robert

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
My initial thought after learning that the power outlet was relocated, was to simply run some telephone line in the corners (perhaps under the carpeting, up the side of the A-pillar (tucked in) and finally mounted on the dash. This will be my temporary fix until a more cleanly approach is found.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's true, my V1 is phone line. I could just leave the plug inbetween the seats and then run cheap phone wire the rest of the way.

good initial choice.

But eventually there will be a better more direct location we can tap into i'm sure.

thx

Robert

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Biomax is right about the side reflectors/lights in Texas I did not install them on my 7, I lived in Housotn when I built it, on the front as they looked dumb. I passed safety inspection with no issues. Silly me, I ask the inspector about them and he said it was not part of the required vehicle safety check.
Yes, Wally is a certified State emission and safety inspector, and Star Motors is an authorized inspection station.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,247 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Im hoping Shinoo will come up with the nice carbon fibre sills replacements.
CF sills are in the development pipe, but they are also prone to scuffing. We've got another idea that is kinda cool. It is a new material that can be used to protect the area and can be removed without damaging the sills.

The sills are gonna take a beating no matter how careful we are. We'll have to be especially careful with all those rides we are gonna have to give to family/friends/etc...:(

·
Registered
219 Posts
shinoo said:
We've got another idea that is kinda cool. It is a new material that can be used to protect the area and can be removed without damaging the sills.
It's the same material from which they make those protectors that keep the stylus from scratching the screen on Palms/Ipaqs/etc. isn't it? You can tell us.

:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts