The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Peanut Gallery. Yes, this is just what you always wanted: Yet Another Best Brakes Thread. :D

I'm pretty sure my Elise needs some brakes love. Likely just pads, but possibly rotors too. I at least want to order the pads now - and I'll check spec on the rotors when I put them on.

I ran my OEM pads down at around 16k miles with OEM rotors. Replaced them with Porterfield R4-S's and have been running those sinse (currently 48k). I know they like to eat rotors - so I'm not excited about that, but it is what it is. I've had lighter use for the last 32k, mainly all street, no autox, no track.

I'd like to get a "medium" pad. Sadly she will do mostly street and "spirited" street driving. Hopefully some AutoX's and possibly some track days in the near-ish future. I want something that is drivable, not too harsh, won't eat my wheels/paint, and will "last" (at least better than OEM - right?).

Anyway, after trolling the boards a bit, it looks like the front runners for my use case are:
Pagid RS4-2 (blue) $385/set
Ferodo DS2500 $230ish/set

And then as a possibly less than optimal setup:
Porterfield R4-S $170/set

What are your individual thoughts? I don't have much data on the Ferodo pads, a little bit from some threads here (and Sands likes them - always a bonus - but will he mind that I'm putting them on my car with Touring Suspension -poke-).

Let me know guys - and thanks in advance. The "Best Brake Pads" thread was a mess - so I'm hoping to drive to my very own answer (and create a new mess) here now. :nanner:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
WOW Tim !!! I'm Impressed.... you were like RIGHT on top of that one !!
on a serious note: I've had good luck with my R4S's........rotors are fine...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:thwack: :no: :D
There is little that I can count on in life - but a "Touring Suspension" or "Touring Wheels" reference always gets Tim's attention. I'm glad somethings never change. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts