The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with this product? I have been looking for clean and simple mini display DVD head unit and this seems to be a good fit. Any inputs?

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
Personally I can't stand a head unit without hard preset buttons, but that's personal preference. On a different car I actually got a JVC and then returned it b/c of that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
im also interested in buying this unit for my Exige (bluebooth, rearview camera). I have the head unit installed in the S2000 and loved it

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im also interested in buying this unit for my Exige (bluebooth, rearview camera). I have the head unit installed in the S2000 and loved it
So, You have one already? Is it easy to use? I like the clear look, but I am slightly concern about user friendlyness. Also wonder what kind of hardware is needed for a plug and play with the stock lotus connection. Keep me inform if you ended up installing one. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I should have been clearer that the unit in my S2000 is an AVX33, and I loved it. That accounted for my decision to install the new AVX44 (shopping) in my Lotus, I'll take it to my dealer to install at delivery of the car in late april/early May. Last time I checked crutchfield knocked $100 off the unit, http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=avx44&i=105KDAVX44

I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was also toying with the idea of the AVX44. It looks like a pretty good update from the AVX33. But, I too would miss the solid buttons for changing radio stations. I just want to be able to change the station without needing to look at it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im shooting my TV show next to an audio shop here, and was just on break, so i went to play with the new JVC kd-avx44
ProS:
1. Great for left hand drive Lotus, cuz mine is RHD and part of the steering wheel will block part of the screen
2. The bluetooth connected really quick
3. The screen is solid, perhaps a little deep in color ( haven't play with the setting yet)
4. DVD with great playback..very easy to use
Cons:
1. Still wondering if it would play .avi file via usb. Can anyone answer me this. If yes , then im selling my alpine IDA-X001!!!!!
2. tilt over for RHD to see the screen

Anyone?
PK

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK, i put my Entourage season 5 episode 1 avi file on my thumb drive...plug it in the the AVX44 and wollaaaaaaa! I got Vince, E, Turtle, Johnny, and Ari on the JVC...and pretty soon, in my baby Exige S
So 2 big thumbs up for the JVC KD-avx44 1 din (without the screen to block the AC vents) Im trading in my Alpine Ida-x001 for the JVC. Will take some pics as soon as i got it installed.

Drive safe u guys
PK

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
is this a newer/better version than the JVC kd nx 5000?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok , just bought n installed the jvc avx44 to replace the alpine ida-x001. Hmmm...mix feeling.
First the black piano finised is just absolutely tremendous for the interior of the exige. It blends in with the dash perfectly. It plays all the file(almost) you threw at it. DVD playback just awesome, sound and control extremely easy to function. I just downloaded the new adventure of the old Christine in avi. and thumbdrive it to the usb port and the playback was superb.
Ok here's the bad part. The unit is made with an automatic gear in mind. Since we have to shifts our gear quite often in traffic, the touch panel can get a bit tricky. For increasing the volume, you circle it like the ipod. But if you circled it too close to the < Or > , this will skip the song or movie playing. Since vibration is a major factor to us Lotus's owner, i doubt that you will get the control right everytime. Remember it's touch sensitive + shaky fingers........:crazyeyes
Only solution, the remote!!!!! cut your problems almost 90% but it feels kinda funny sittin so close to the unit but still have to use the remote. You guys make your own decision. Im sticking with this for now :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i seriously considered this JVC unit and tried it out at a few different stores, but found the control usability just awful, particularly in our cars, for the reasons noted above...if it can't be reliably operated by blind feel alone, intermittently, it's too much of a distraction while driving, i think...

...DVD playback isn't a consideration for me, so i'm planning to install a becker grand prix instead...

...you might find it worth your time to explore car audio security, as they offer a great many UK market models for international sale which aren't generally available in the 'states, including several single-DIN DVD units with proper knobs and buttons...

·
Registered
508 Posts
pkhot,

Are you using any other functions with the radio, iPod, Sirius, Bluetooth?

I am trying to decided between this one and the nd5000, I do not really need the navigation thus this one appears to better suit my need, but plan to hook up all of the goodies.

Also, how did you connect the unit so that you could watch video while driving?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
so i'm planning to install a Becker Grand Prix
You might consider using the Becker iPod cable from the site you referenced if you use an iPod. It's spendy at $200, but it allows iPod control and track info display on Becker receivers that support CD text. This might be compatible with some Blaupunkt receivers as the connectors will fit and it mimics a CD player interface. Although at second glance, it may not be compatible with 1st gen and latest gen iPods.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks like a perfect solution for the Lotus. Does it have enough amp built in or will it require an external amp to sound good?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pkhot915, I just purchased this deck and have two questions for you.

1) Were you able to wire it so that you are able to play movies/programs while driving? (I know it's illegal, but it's for my GF) If so, how did you go about your install?

2) When the iPod is connected, what's the quicket method to get to/listen to a particular artist? I'm going to Menu>List>Artist and then scrolling through until I find what I want. This seems to take forever...any quicker way?

Thanks,

Sal

·
Registered
79 Posts
Salcosta;
1.Just ground it to the parking brake, thats what the installer did.
2. did you get the ks-pd100 ipod adapter from jvc? if you just usb it or without it, seaching for anything on the ipod WILL take foreverrrrrrrrr.
(Best part! $19.95 on ebay!!!)
Im learning to love this unit, although still a pain to circle the finger to volume it while driving. and OHHH!!!! be on a look out for a very small glitch, just happened to me the other day, I turned the car on, circle to raise the volume..and them BAM! the volume went straight to 50 which almost blew out my speakers.
But the best part of this unit is that u can just download any file (movie or music) and it will play it on screen via USB!
Let me know if i can help you with anything else
PK

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks PK. I'll tell my install guy to ground it to the parking brake. (I guess you can have this and the rear view camera both going to the brake...not much of an electronics guy apparently)

As far as the KS-PD 100 adapter, no, I didn't get it. I currently just have the iPod connected to the deck via USB. I just purchased the adapter on ebay...thanks!

Thanks for the heads up about the glitch as well...

Sal

1 - 20 of 22 Posts