The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nav is a must in my elise for work and I need a system that will give direction through the speakers since I have the Larini, I do not think the portable ones are loud enough :rolleyes:

I have been debating between the JVC or the Pioneer AVIC-N4.

I have set my mind on the JVC. Where did you get yours and which place has the best price for it? Best I've found is $539.00 on ebay.

Also, do I need a harness for VW?

I also know that there is an install instruction for the elise floating around on th site in pdf file, anyone want to share?

thanks

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Nav is a must in my elise for work and I need a system that will give direction through the speakers since I have the Larini, I do not think the portable ones are loud enough :rolleyes:

I have been debating between the JVC or the Pioneer AVIC-N4.

I have prtty much set my mind on the JVC. Where did you get yours and which place has the best price for it? Best I've found is $539.00 on ebay.

Also, do I need a harness for VW?

I also know that there is an install instruction for the elise floating around on th site in pdf file, anyone want to share?

thanks
if you're offended by learning how to find info on ET, please don't read on:

search, just a regular search
use the terms:

jvc* *nx5000*

the second search term will probably do it for you, but the jvc* won't hurt. the leading "*" allows for variations in writing the model, such as spaces between the dash, etc. and the trailing "*" will allow for model revisions. you could also search on terms like "nav" etc.

there are about a dozen threads in which this head unit was mentioned, several of which, are specific to this model.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was looking @ the JVC aswell but after going 2 look @ it I realized it's a pretty small screen, I feel it's always nicer 2 have a bigger screen even though the unit talks 2 u. I also found since it's not a touch screen it's a bit of a pain 2 input addresses and stuff into the JVC. That doesn't make the Pioneer a winner since I don't like that it blocks the vents, which I do use. It also can't play a CD and give directions @ once since u have 2 have the navigation disc in if u want 2 use the GPS. Everytime u want 2 change a route or find a route u have 2 pop out ur music and pop in the nav disc, what a pain.
I do have a TomTom portable GPS and it's actually pretty good u also don't need 2 buy update navigation discs every yr since it seems 2 get updates online (I could be wrong I haven't had 2 update it yet). It is loud enough even with an exhaust and u can transfer it between ur cars.
Pretty much all of them have pros and cons, I can't decide either so let me know what u end up figuring out.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If you have an 05 elise I wouldn't get your hopes up for the JVC. I could never tap into the Speed Sensor. Don't know about the Pioneer since I dont have one, but that could be the case too.

What kind of job do you have that allows you to use the elise for it but reqs nav?

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you have an 05 elise I wouldn't get your hopes up for the JVC. I could never tap into the Speed Sensor. Don't know about the Pioneer since I dont have one, but that could be the case too.

What kind of job do you have that allows you to use the elise for it but reqs nav?
I had a friend attempt to install it with a lot of suggestions from people and no luck, ended up paying a stereo shop $450.00 for labor to install the radio but at least it worked perfect. I asked if they could tell me where the wire was located at and they said it was in the back but could not give me details because the installer had left :mad:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have an 06'. I didn't realize 05 & 06 speed sensors are at different location. Where is the speed sensor for the 06'+?

I'm an insurance claims adjuster, I get paid to drive around in the elise :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts