The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been addressed before but I can’t find it.
When you do a K 20 or K 24 engine swap and of course then you have the Honda transmission, do you gain much weight versus the stock Toyota Engine and transmission?

I did some looking around and it looks like the K 20 engine and transmission weighs about 400 pounds? I’m not even sure about that.
Anybody know what the stock 2005 Lotus Elise engine and transmission weighs?🤔
My engine swap would be leaving the motor naturally aspirated so no weight of turbocharger or supercharger. Thanks
And this is the 4Piston.com engine I’m looking to put in amazingly it looks to be 340 hp on pump gas and “Street Driving” reliable. My car is track only and I am a road course tracker and time attack racer.
Has anybody installed this engine or know about this engine?

·
Registered
949 Posts
I very strongly considered the k24-360. Eventually I didn't. So I'm really curious to see how this works out for you.

Sorry I have no more info on this. I did the same searches as you. The 2zz is quite a bit lighter in na form. But supercharged, intercooled and plumbed, I bet it gets more even.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The 2nd hand info I’ve received related to this swap is that it’s nearly identical.

@bobijoe - do you have a pre and post swap weights for your car?

·
Registered
2006 Exige K24A2 SC
151 Posts
My 2007 Exige with aftercooling and SC K24A2 (see Butters car for sale) is 750+1250=2050 on a truck axle scale with most of a tank of fuel, if this helps at all.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
K24 and trans weighed less then 2zz and trans and supercharger, so any weight you are adding vs NA 2zz is minor.

Remember that is 340 crank, and that if you run it all the time at 9000 RPM and pump gas... it won't be around long.

·
Registered
2006 Exige K24A2 SC
151 Posts
I know a guy with this motor, not seen it yet but will this year I expect. He got two seasons out of it before refresh needed. Quite a few tracks days and the head gasket gave up. He loves it regardless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the input it helps😃
Sounds like I won’t be adding any weight at all that’s awesome!
The 4Piston.com website describes this particular engine build as an engine for “Street Driving reliability” That means it’s not over blown to the point where it’s going to be not lasting long. It’s also about $10,000 for the motor with no core. And that’s without the transmission headers or intake. So you would have to believe that it’s got the right kind of stuff and knowledge to make the motor reliable.
I won’t be street driving this at all it will be tracking but they will be hard miles but I know how to take care of my cars I change the oil and filter every three or four track day the most. And I listen to the motor and can feel it I don’t overwork them.
And I’m thinking that I won’t need to use all this power all the time which means the gas pedal won’t be pegged. That being said I thought that before and then I just got better and faster and ended up flooring the gas all over again!😂
It’s a vicious circle😂😂😂
But I can drive! Here is me with the stock 190 blowing up 911s. But yes I know it’s all the driver not the car but still it’s damn fun😃

·
Registered
2006 Exige K24A2 SC
151 Posts
ORP, eh?! Nice! I'm really hoping to run there this year. I've got time booked already at PIR and hoping to be able to tow to ORP and camp. I watched your video, wow! Nice job. Both motivational and a little terrifying. Haha

I've got similar BHP to what your looking for and on the street it's pretty wild on tighter fun streets. Currently working out the bugs to be ready in time for the tracks around here to be opening.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow that’s incredible!
You got a lot more engine power and torque, got a stronger transmission and you added lightness!!
I’m sure it’s mostly good driving but the cornering looks really tight with lots of grip. What suspensions and tires are you on?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m sure it’s mostly good driving but the cornering looks really tight with lots of grip. What suspensions and tires are you on?
Thanks I’ve been a member there for three years so I know the track well. But it’s still a very hard track because it’s the most technical track in North America because it’s got over 400 feet of elevation each lap, 16 turns and it’s 2.3 miles and it can be run in both directions!
Some people can’t drive it because of the elevation change they get some kind of motion sickness. And there’s a few blind turns that will keep you awake!!😃
Elise doesn’t have a lot of mods just Nitron single shocks and I added Girodisc rotors and pads.
As far as tires I’m sure this will piss off a lot of people but I really don’t care, I have a square set up using 245/40/17 tires on the 8 inch rims. I have some Pirelli slicks on that are really nice. I like the square set up as it makes the weight balance a little better and it just grabs! Plus it’s just so nice to rotate the tires and change out all four of them they are completely worn out evenly and then put on 4 fresh new tires. No half worn out ones to wonder what to do with. Simple yet fast!
I do all kinds of fun things with the tire set ups on my cars and people go apeshit telling me I’m wrong and yet I’m the fastest by far lol. I actually have 325 square set up on my Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio SUV. You would not believe how fast and fun that SUV is on this track!! Freaking point and shoot!
I took a passenger for a ride it was quite a hoot and look at the fast laptimes! That was taking it easy with the passenger. I do 1:52s when I’m by myself. And this year and I have a bunch of new mods so I think I might get in the 1:49s with this SUV on street tires!!
HOD event at ORP:
Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV 1:52 fast lap at ORP CCW at HOD event Porsches!

FUN taking a passenger with an laugh like the joker!!!😃:
Passenger enjoying half pipe roller coaster at ORP in an Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV

·
Registered
223 Posts
That is the purest form of laughter I’ve heard coming from an adult lol. I didn’t know you could fit a 245 in the front - care you share pics of your Elise? Not sure why people would be negative about the set up either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That is the purest form of laughter I’ve heard coming from an adult lol. I didn’t know you could fit a 245 in the front - care you share pics of your Elise? Not sure why people would be negative about the set up either.
Well I should tell you that I had to grind my clam top fender arches a little😃
But just look at these pictures you really wouldn’t know it looks tight!! No rubbing at all either.
I posted that I had a square set up here earlier and the purests went apeshit telling me I didn’t know what I was doing and that the car should stay the way it was designed. My reply was laptimes do the best talking. And then they told me I would be even faster if I changed it back to the regular set up which I already had tried. With purists you just can’t win 😂
Yes my passenger Joseph is awesome!! Later I filled up the car with four people wearing helmets but they were so quiet it was boring even though it was so fun for me to go so fast with 4 people! You’re actually blowing past a lot of two sports cars with single drivers!!! But they were so quiet and boring I felt like letting them out halfway around the track and making them walk back. But then Joseph told me that they were all scared! He said it’s scary for him too so maybe it was nervous laughter.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Umm, motion sickness at ORP? It’s not a technical track, it’s a momentum track. Big difference; you can take the whole course in third gear.

@MMachines you should definitely make it out there for an event, same with the ridge. But for both don’t worry about lap times. ORP is more of a ‘f*^% this is a great time’ track and The Ridge is more of a ‘f*^^+ let’s push it’ track. You’ll see the potential of yours on both, as well as PIR.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input it helps😃
Sounds like I won’t be adding any weight at all that’s awesome!
The 4Piston.com website describes this particular engine build as an engine for “Street Driving reliability” That means it’s not over blown to the point where it’s going to be not lasting long. It’s also about $10,000 for the motor with no core. And that’s without the transmission headers or intake. So you would have to believe that it’s got the right kind of stuff and knowledge to make the motor reliable.
I won’t be street driving this at all it will be tracking but they will be hard miles but I know how to take care of my cars I change the oil and filter every three or four track day the most. And I listen to the motor and can feel it I don’t overwork them.
And I’m thinking that I won’t need to use all this power all the time which means the gas pedal won’t be pegged. That being said I thought that before and then I just got better and faster and ended up flooring the gas all over again!😂
It’s a vicious circle😂😂😂
But I can drive! Here is me with the stock 190 blowing up 911s. But yes I know it’s all the driver not the car but still it’s damn fun😃
Thanks I’ve been a member there for three years so I know the track well. But it’s still a very hard track because it’s the most technical track in North America because it’s got over 400 feet of elevation each lap, 16 turns and it’s 2.3 miles and it can be run in both directions!
Some people can’t drive it because of the elevation change they get some kind of motion sickness. And there’s a few blind turns that will keep you awake!!😃
Elise doesn’t have a lot of mods just Nitron single shocks and I added Girodisc rotors and pads.
As far as tires I’m sure this will piss off a lot of people but I really don’t care, I have a square set up using 245/40/17 tires on the 8 inch rims. I have some Pirelli slicks on that are really nice. I like the square set up as it makes the weight balance a little better and it just grabs! Plus it’s just so nice to rotate the tires and change out all four of them they are completely worn out evenly and then put on 4 fresh new tires. No half worn out ones to wonder what to do with. Simple yet fast!
I do all kinds of fun things with the tire set ups on my cars and people go apeshit telling me I’m wrong and yet I’m the fastest by far lol. I actually have 325 square set up on my Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio SUV. You would not believe how fast and fun that SUV is on this track!! Freaking point and shoot!
I took a passenger for a ride it was quite a hoot and look at the fast laptimes! That was taking it easy with the passenger. I do 1:52s when I’m by myself. And this year and I have a bunch of new mods so I think I might get in the 1:49s with this SUV on street tires!!
HOD event at ORP:
Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV 1:52 fast lap at ORP CCW at HOD event Porsches!

FUN taking a passenger with an laugh like the joker!!!😃:
Passenger enjoying half pipe roller coaster at ORP in an Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV
So, wait. You're turning 1:52 in the Alfa SUV and 1:56 in the Elise?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So, wait. You're turning 1:52 in the Alfa SUV and 1:56 in the Elise?
Yes it’s a crazy upside down world now😂
With SUVs besting expensive 2 door sportscars😃
FYI under two minutes is considered fast on this short track.
So 1:56 in stock Elise is fast!
FYI I don’t think there’s a street legal daily driver SUV on the planet that’s faster than my lightly modded Stelvio Quadrifoglio. I think I would even beat a $300K Lamborghini Urus because my SUV is so much lighter.
When you get about 600 HP in an all-wheel-drive with that nice German ZF transmission and electronic Limited slip differential and then you get about -3° camber in the front and -2 in the back put on some really nice KW DDCPNP coilovers top it off with 325 square tires that are about 2 inches shorter so you get lower gearing .....it’s damn!!!
I do 0 to 60 in less than 3 seconds in it. But I don’t like to do it because it’s like a bomb going off without any launch feature. See video.
But rest assured the Elise with be a lot faster when I do my K swap. Just need more power than the 190hp to do it. I think I might even do a 1:45 in it after swap which would be stupid fast and close to a track record.
Launch:
Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV 0-60 sub 3 seconds

Another tracking video of Stelvio Quadrifoglio Setting a track record at SCR Spokane County Raceway.
This is about the same length of track but much faster because only nine turns. It’s also a very very bumpy old track but just look at how these coilovers do such a great job 😃
Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV 1:29.7 fastest lap SCR Spokane County Raceway

And here’s a couple videos that probably are my favorite because there is so many cars there. Just look at how much faster the SUV is in all these sports cars!! This this was my first time at both of these tracks! So there’s a lot more time I could’ve picked up once I know the tracks well.
One was an Audi day and one was a Porsche day.
There was a lot of German tears that day😂
PIR:
Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV @PIR 1:26 fastest laps

Pacific Raceways:
Alfa Romeo Stelvio [email protected] Raceway 1:33 laps with lots of cars

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I need a Stelvio in my life now...
Ha ha keep it in mind if you’re going to get an SUV. Nothing drives like them!
My main tracking car is going to be the Elise and I also have a Radical Rapture.
The funnest thing I’m looking forward to this year is to trailer pull my lightweight car hauler trailer with my Elise or Radical with my Stelvio QV to a tracking event. Then I will completely blow up some expensive German sportscars with my track toys. Then if anybody complains and says oh your only fast because you have a track only car on slicks i’ll unbolt my trailer and beat them up good with my SUV! There’s no snappy come back for that😃

1 - 20 of 22 Posts