Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say removing the airbox, replacing the stock filter and
reattaching the box was probably one of the most frustrating challenges I have
yet faced with my 98/V8. What a pain the lower bolts are to reinstall. Lost one
7mm socket; should have had a catch net/towel under it. Dropped the wrench
couple times. The only thing which made it bearable was my Dewalt camera
inspection tool. I probably would never been able to retrieve the wrench without
the camera. Needless to say, the camera was also very helpful fitting the socket
on the lower bolts; highly recommended tool. I still have the right-side front
lower bolt to tighten. I believe the right-side is a tighter fit and the oil
dipstick location sure doesn't help.

Why am I writing this? because the exit hose, at least that's what I think it
is, the small, maybe 1/2 diameter rubber hose on the rear of the right-side box
fell off... detached itself from the box. There are two clamps on the hose,
tightened over a metal tube and I'm sure the tube was inserted into the rear of
the airbox (there's an empty hole there); but if I just shove the tube back into
the hole I'm thinking it will either vibrate, or be blown out soon. Is something
broken? should the tube have a flange that secures it to the box and the flange
is broke? I'll try to get a picture posted soon. But in the meantime, the hose
is just dangling; I'm not starting the car before its properly fixed.

Thanks for any help.

This is the gizmo which fell out

Table Number: 42_01b
Position: 16
Part Number: A918E6035F
Description: Connector, 12.7mm, filter housing to breather
Notes:
Qty on Car: 2

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did this and yes, one hell of a nightmare.
You need lots of sockets and knuckles and tons of patience.

Got a picture of what you mean?

Oh yeah and I lost a socket for 2 days in there, had to jack up the car to crawl under and find it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just removed mine to check the air filters, and luckily a PO installed K&Ns. Score one for me! I haven't put the screws back in, but taking them off wasn't pleasant so I can expect a little frustration.

Yeah, both my metal tubes were out of the airbox housing. It doesn't seem to be a tight fit. I was going to try to put a piece of tape around the tube and see if the extra thickness would tighten it up, although I may not be able to get it back in then.

I also had the air inlet hoses disconnected from both inlet body vents. :( Apparently 3 POs are a few too many.

Rock

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yep, indeed; part #16. Just fell out of the air box ; what's weird is the double clamping of the hose to the connector like a redundant NASA space shuttle connector; then the connector is just shoved in the box; friction fit? I think not. Now that my bleeding knuckles are "better", I'll revisit that demonized widget and will report more detail with a photo or two.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, indeed; part #16. Just fell out of the air box ; what's weird is the double clamping of the hose to the connector like a redundant NASA space shuttle connector; then the connector is just shoved in the box; friction fit? I think not. Now that my bleeding knuckles are "better", I'll revisit that demonized widget and will report more detail with a photo or two.
Survived the rite of passage; I have all ten (five each side) airbox bolts snug in their respective positions. Elapsed time? about 3 hours; I won't be working as a pit crew member for sure. Interestingly enough; before I began this effort, I had found a photo of an Esprit being built at the factory and noticed the airboxes were installed in an otherwise empty engine bay and it did occur to me that the sequence seemed odd; why install the airbox before "anything else?". It no longer seems odd:

Here's a photo of the connector tube and airbox:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its just a breather so I would say slap it back in let it fly...
I could be completely wrong but.. :)
Thanks Marc; I agree, I'm going to slap it in the air box; the hose is stiff and provides a bit of tension that will probably cause it to stay in place. I haven't chased the other end of the connection but looking at the diagram I'm guessing, based on the wording, it is a breather connection going to cam-shaft cover?

and thanks Sandy; also agree > 2 PO is probably ~bad... good idea on the tape wrap; if it gets wiggly I'll give that a shot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
But the concern is that the airbox hole is post-airfilter, right? So if it pops out you're sucking unfiltered air.

Rock

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But the concern is that the airbox hole is post-airfilter, right? So if it pops out you're sucking unfiltered air.

Rock
Well, I'm not sure. I need to do a bit more tracing but it looks like the breather connector is tapped in pre-filter from the cam cover. I'm just guessing here; I think the idea is to allow any positive pressure inside the cam area to vent someplace besides the engine bay. So any excess pressure is routed pre-filter back into the engine. However, the stock filters I removed were definitely dusty; not oily greasy as they might be if they were receiving positive venting from the engine. Thinking the initial downside to the connector falling out of the airbox is to experience a slightly messy engine bay. Then again I might have it all backwards and the connector is post-filter with the downside of unfiltered air entering the breather.

I have my ECU removed at the moment and I can dig into this area and perhaps figure it out. I'll give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok; I think I have the mystery solved. Rocky, you were right... The connector is entering the air box "post filter"... I ferreted it out. Also, the connector is for incoming pressure from cam covers... Basically the crank ventilator... Here's an excerpt for a Pre-V8; so, I've pushed the connector back into the airbox and I'll keep an eye on it... I would imagine if it fell out again, the turbo could suck an unknown amount of unfiltered air through the hole; I think that would be considered "bad"...

From Lotus:
The crankcase breather is designed to vent excess crankcase gases (pressure) to the inlet system via the airbox. This pipe is connected to the filtered air side of the airbox. The system also has a small bore pipe that sucks fumes back to the inlet manifold when the engine is at idle (small throttle opening). This pipe is fitted with a one way valve to stop boost pressure escaping during normal engine operating conditions (wider throttle opening).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the airbox out, so I pulled the pipe out of the hose with some needle nose pliers (careful, the metal is very soft), put one piece of electrical tape around it, and tried to put it into the box. I gently tapped it in with a rubber mallet. It kind of seemed like the tape scrunched up instead of sliding into the hole with the pipe, but the pipe does seem to be in there fairly tight now. I think it should stay in place, but time will tell.

Rock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts