The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking of not selling my elise and just refinancing so i can keep it and actually do what i’ve always wanted to with it, ( turbo and/or k swap, widebody). Not to mention the elise going out of production and the prices being expected to rise in the next few years is a big motivator for keeping it.

Looking for links related to the known info on K swaps.
personally i’m interested in information such as transmission options, can you keep the toyota trans with an adapter or do you need a reversed honda trans?
And what kind of price offset does selling the toyota drive train have on the overall cost? (27k mile engine and trans)
Price differences between NA/SC/Turbo?
estimated price difference between not being afraid of custom fab work VS having everything done for you? Personally i can do wiring but any and all info on that is still welcome and appreciated. Etc.

Would greatly appreciate all known useful links related to K swaps because i know this stuff has been posted about, but not everyone can go back and find what they need. posting links here would make it more accessible for everyone with similar questions including myself.

Also it appears it would be cheaper to turbo the 2zz than SC the 2zz, and personally i’d prefer turbo over NA/SC anyway. Is that option a better idea than selling my 2zz to fund a K swap, considering the youth of my current drivetrain? i considered buying a used turbo kit from wire wheel a while ago for 2k (would rebuild/replace the turbo before running it) and always regretted not jumping on it once it sold to someone else.

I love this car so much (some sentimental attachment with my father and i, but also just the car itself is a dream.) and i have so much passion for this lightweight chassis feeling that i feel confident with following all the way through with the project.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you looking for from the increased power? A shove? Linearity? Throttle response? Overall torque? Mid throttle torque? Sounds?
not too concerned with overall power but very interested in all of the above. Car is fast as is and has the best throttle response i’ve ever felt. but i want something unique, faster, and to do it myself to stay busy and to feel proud of. it’s also hard to find contentment with the stock powerband. Planned on buying a turbo Z when my elise sold but like i said i’m reconsidering

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forget Turbo. ForceFed did that years ago; I'm pretty sure there are no such kits available today. The kits to get would be Rev300 or Rev400 from BOE.
I considered a K-swap for about a minute. Besides all the ECU issues, tranny issues, and cost, what is there to lose? I'd say a lot. It destroys the integrity of what the car is. Now there are plenty of people who have done it but most are track cars to deal with heat soak. I can appreciate that which is my current problem but the Rev400 kit should help that.
i’d probably go for a MWR turbo kit or a used forcefed kit. And there’s a lot to lose which is why we do research first before diving in. I would greatly appreciate the mod support for the K series and it certainly has its benefits

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
appreciate all the info a lot, leaning towards a SC kit and installing as much as i can myself, possibly all of it. Anything left unfinished i know can be done at a shop locally. I care most about street driving and some occasional days at the track but not too much. Reliable and consistent power are the biggest factors

1 - 4 of 4 Posts