The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Exige Garage Art
331 Posts
I will say reading your comment regarding building it yourself reminds me I'm a little ashamed having bought a car that had the swap. I've had the motor apart on my M3 a few years ago and built my Talon and CRX motors and had turbo Honda's before they were cool so I CAN do it, just too busy now with family. In reality there's lots left for me to do I'm just saying - I GET IT! I MISS IT! DO IT! Also I live in twisty road country and like wide power bands so I'm also over turbo's, even though in theory I prefer them.

Anyway, I didn't by this car for straight line, but I'll just leave this right here. I've been working through some pretty serious issues so whatever... this was originally for my analysis but thought maybe you'd enjoy it.

·
Registered
2006 Exige Garage Art
331 Posts
Hondata has Kpro, which is one of the better piggyback options for ECUs, especially if you wish to smog, as it still retains the OBD2 port for diagnostics/smog. Kpro will also export to the Lotus dash, so you retain a lot of that functionality.
This is the only part of your post that I do not agree with. Even though the Kpro will return VIN and readiness there are unsupported monitors. My report states the ECU has been modified and that tampering with it in this manner is in violation of federal law or something to that effect. I called head office and talked to someone who was helpful, who came to the conclusion that my car will never pass again, not here at least. Hondata will not help as Kpro is for offroad use only, yet allow VIN to be returned through OBD. When I first failed I was sure all I needed was my laptop to sort this out - boy was I wrong.

·
Registered
2006 Exige Garage Art
331 Posts
So, to your point, yes, this is a potential issue. However, my point remains --Kpro (and I believe K-tuner) still export readiness and you can still pass smog using Hondata.
My car was never tested in this state before me. It will NEVER pass here, and not because it was ever tested here before with a different result. I did look at removing Kpro and going to another setup (piggyback vs stand alone) but that seems to be where there's just not enough information available for me to spend the time and money. To get a system I need from Hondata that's officially supported won't fit my needs.
It's a happy middle ground, whereas the stand-alones give you nothing and a stock kseries ecu doesn't allow you to unlock the engine's potential.
I'm actually not trying to break federal laws. I talked to a manager at head office about this. I will add a cat all stock Honda emissions controls. I would need an ECU that returns my VIN AND all OEM readiness to pass. I am not sure I can buy a stock Honda ECU that they'll program a Lotus VIN into... didn't get that far as if they said yes I would still have A LOT of work ahead trying to get it to pass.

If you or someone you know has a Kpro that's passing OBD emissions then that state's algorithm doesn't check for things that should be there and aren't. It checks that things that are supported are ready.

·
Registered
2006 Exige Garage Art
331 Posts
However, my point remains --Kpro (and I believe K-tuner) still export readiness and you can still pass smog using Hondata.
My point is that your advice that was provided within this thread is not necessarily true and I'm trying to qualify this point so that someone else doesn't end up like me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts