The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Vendor
3,596 Posts
not too concerned with overall power but very interested in all of the above. Car is fast as is and has the best throttle response i’ve ever felt. but i want something unique, faster, and to do it myself to stay busy and to feel proud of. it’s also hard to find contentment with the stock powerband. Planned on buying a turbo Z when my elise sold but like i said i’m reconsidering
I have literally done all of the above except the Kswap. Turbo just sucks on these cars. The small displacement motor does not lend itself to turbo. I could never get rid of the lag.

Kswap may be great but you lose all the OEM integration to the dash etc. etc.

TVS400 is plug and play, 11 sec 1/4 mile car. Fantastic power delivery and great integration. Don't over-think what people have figured out over the last 16 years.

·
Vendor
3,596 Posts
Try not to generalize turbo builds. Each is different. Many people just build for the big numbers asking how much they can make. Design to area under the dyno curve and you wont have lag issues with modern hardware. I have no lag from 3000 RPM up on a 71mm compressor. (My setup has boost below that too) Granted I have put a lot of effort into minimizing intake volume and running equal length tubular manifold runners. I even went with the large volute mounted internal wastage to reduce exhaust manifold volume and flow disruptions that would be caused by an external gate.

The point is if you expect a cast manifold and huge non roller turbo is going to make power you will see it on the dyno. However, you will have scary drivability issues with the sudden power spike. Design your build for what you want and dont just assume that because some company like Radium designed your manifold you can just slap it on and get a well rounded OEM like power delivery.
Node is correct, of course. We can't generalize. However, having built and driven these cars in anger and done some pretty extreme and crazy stuff to TRY to get rid of turbo lag, I can say definitively, that aside from using an external-to-cylinder combustion chamber like a Rocket, there will always be some lag. I tried tiny turbos, special turbines, special combinations of turbine and compressor, custom header, custom intake plumbing, Anti-lag ECU tuning, High Compression& High boost with 110Octane fuel. At the end of the day there is more air between the compressor and the intake valve that has to be pressurized and some amount of delay in the spin-up to create that pressure. Depending on use case, it may be of ZERO concern.
To many, it is fine. Feels quick enough. Certainly great on track perhaps. However, the TVS supercharger delivers. RIGHT NOW. It feels like a bigger engine behind you. To me the torque build is predictable like a big NA motor. Are they as efficient as Turbo? Nope. Not too far off with Twin-screw type superchargers, but less efficient. From a driveability perspective it feels like an LS-Swap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts