The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
2zz is a decent motor, if you ignore cam-wiping issues. Otherwise, it's basically a nice paperweight.

Kseries don't have a known issue, like cam-wiping. There's no "check this before buying" in the Kseries world. Just make sure you get the right engine designation, it has good compression/leak down, and carry on.

Also, 1.8l vs. 2.0-2.4l. The larger displacement is always going to win, when aspiration is similar.

People have built and boosted 2zzs and make a whopping 300whp!!! HOW DO THEY EVEN CONTROL IT??! They control it by crying at the outrageous amounts of money they just spent to get there.

Whereas a built Kseries can make 300whp without boost. An internally stock kseries with a turbo can make 350whp all, day, long. A built and boosted kseries can make 500-800whp reliably -- upwards of 1300whp for a few passes.

For transmissions, you use a Kseries one. Add a LSD (or get one with a factory LSD), call it a day. If you're making under 400whp/350tq, the transmission will survive. Over that, you're on borrowed time. Good thing is, there are hardened gearsets (>$4000), sequential gearboxes (>$8000), and replacement stock transmissions for $1000 virtually everywhere.

Hondata has Kpro, which is one of the better piggyback options for ECUs, especially if you wish to smog, as it still retains the OBD2 port for diagnostics/smog. Kpro will also export to the Lotus dash, so you retain a lot of that functionality.

Otherwise, kswap is a very simple and straightforward swap. You can buy everything and have it swapped in over a weekend.

My recommendation: buy a K24A2, find a good intake manifold, VTC gear, baffled pan, RSX oil pump, hondata, and have a good tuner net you 230-250whp to the wheels and watch the S260s become smaller and smaller in your mirrors as you pass them in the straights.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Even though the Kpro will return VIN and readiness there are unsupported monitors. My report states the ECU has been modified and that tampering with it in this manner is in violation of federal law or something to that effect.
Say, in 2019, your car's smog report showed 9 readiness monitors.
Then, in 2020 you changed "something" and now your smog report showed 7 readiness monitors and 2 unsupported monitors.
Your reg can get tagged because it's pretty obvious 2 monitors are now disabled and now you need to go to get fully inspected to verify everything.
This can happen with a remapped GTI, a stock Camaro, or a kswapped Lotus.

So, to your point, yes, this is a potential issue. However, my point remains --Kpro (and I believe K-tuner) still export readiness and you can still pass smog using Hondata.

Hondata will not help as Kpro is for offroad use only, yet allow VIN to be returned through OBD.
I wouldn't expect Hondata to assist me trying to break federal laws -- They don't want that liability.
VIN being exported via the OBD2 port can also be used to tie the ECU to the vehicle -- not just for smog purposes.
I'm glad Hondata is willing to give us enthusiasts a fighting chance to get our swapped cars to pass smog, but do I expect them to do everything it takes for cars to pass smog more or less illegally, and put themselves and their business in jeopardy, not at all.

It's a happy middle ground, whereas the stand-alones give you nothing and a stock kseries ecu doesn't allow you to unlock the engine's potential.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My car was never tested in this state before me. It will NEVER pass here, and not because it was ever tested here before with a different result. I did look at removing Kpro and going to another setup (piggyback vs stand alone) but that seems to be where there's just not enough information available for me to spend the time and money. To get a system I need from Hondata that's officially supported won't fit my needs.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make that hasn't been already made or addressed.

People have passed smog using Hondata. You and a few others haven't.
The circumstances and resolutions of those situations is way beyond the scope of this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts