The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you aim to stay at around 320 whp , a turbo 2zz is quite doable and will last even with track days . In my experience pushing the HP beyond this you'll need to go the whole hog down to dry sump . My turbo stroked 2zz , E153 transmission with Kaaz gears was fantastic on the track at about 450whp... nothing could touch it ...Until the engine went pop due to oil starvation, melting bearings and crank. The car was pulling too much lateral g force along a long turn. I had the GPan3 . Having wrecked the block which I had got Nikasil coated , I've opted for sleeves this time , and dry sump. Stroker crank is too expensive to repeat. Also getting close to completing the widebody carbon fiber kit.

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
The decision is, at least in part, how you drive the car ( high rev or moderate ) and how you feel the car's performance. I like electric cars and supercharged cars but I don't get the same visceral feeling as I get when I drive a turbocharged car. I think it's like listening to music. Some like a neutral sound and some prefer the equalizer setting on high treble or bass. To me the turbo is like opening up the soundstage. And going on a rollercoaster ride.

In terms of lag, it can be minimized of course , on this engine I'm very happy with the 2871r turbo , I enjoyed the slight spool up and whiplash, but I was also surprised of how close ratio gears on the track helped pulled my car out of the corners and chomp on a supercar before the end of the next straight . It makes me feel like I'm doing it and timing it just right. Love it !

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts