The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am looking into a K swap. Anyone who has done it please chime in. I am planning on starting out modest and get the kinks worked out then build on that.

So K24 and an 06 Honda SI tranny is the plan. NA at first and then a merc raving TVS 2300/rotrex or perhaps a crazy NA build like the 2.7L stroker from 4 piston racing. I also have some Haltech elite exp so may use that as my ECU of choice.

What header should I use? not happy with the look of the monkeywrench one and would like more info on the DRS one.

I am thinking an AIM datalogger dash as well.

Thinking 250-300whp to start and eventually then 400+ and a sequential in the future.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
720 Posts
After looking into the Kswap more it really will nickel and dime you to death, and thats coming from someone who's last car was an Ls1/RX7.

For your power goals, I'd stick with the 2zz. From my few conversations with the forum vendors, all the bottom end needs to handle 400whp is lower compression forged pistons. Supporting valvetrain and headflow work make sense to do while you're in there.

But as far as I look at it the K swap doesn't fix the problems that the current motor/tranny have. That being the strength of the transmission. From what I've seen the RSX transmission is no stronger than the stock transmission. Both require expensive gear sets to be reliable and some people are still breaking them.

And fitting the bigger PD blower on either motor is more of a challenge from the perspective of making it fit in the engine bay.

Either engine you could turbo, and make more than your goals, only advantage would be a k24 would have MUCH less lag. Thats why I haven't been racing to K-swap the car.
With the TVS 1320 on the 2zz you can make around 400whp. Thats my goal

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think you are pushing limits at 400 rwhp with the 1320. i don't believe i have seen anyone run that yet. thing that gets me on the 2zz is its 10k to build motor 10k for the s/c 10k for the transmission that's a lot of money to hit 400 rwhp.

i think the k swap would be a bit less and you have more options? maybe i am wrong?

·
Registered
720 Posts
i think you are pushing limits at 400 rwhp with the 1320. i don't believe i have seen anyone run that yet. thing that gets me on the 2zz is its 10k to build motor 10k for the s/c 10k for the transmission that's a lot of money to hit 400 rwhp.

i think the k swap would be a bit less and you have more options? maybe i am wrong?
Well I tried to spoon feed you some answers, but good luck searching

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol I am wresting with that... I would like to stay NA but think it may not be enough. I want to do one lap in a few years and would like to place well. I also came from a 1100hp z06. so 190 has been fun but well its time for more

·
Registered
720 Posts
did plenty of searching. but thanks anyway. show me a2zz pump gas 400whp 1320 dyno graph?
I think you took offense where you shouldn't have, he is right about the 1320 being maxed out before 400 whp on pump gas.
I said around 400whp.
Let me blow your minds, Here's an M62 putting down 400whp (dynos aren't all created the same) -

There is a guy who made close to 500whp with the TVS 1320 but he was on E85 - see comparison dynos in the first post
Magnuson MP2300 TVS K24 Build - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

I think there is someone in the lotus community making over 400whp with the TVS 1320 but most fall in the high 300s range. Thats "around 400whp" which are the exact words I used.

I told you you just needed pistons to get there too, although if you want to be close to 400 whp you'll need headwork / porting as well. Thats not 10k into the engine.
You would need about 5-6k into either transmission to make them strong enough to be reliable, regardless of engine you went with though (again k motor swap doesn't avoid this cost)
And if you went sequential, again doesn't matter which powertrain you went with.

Honestly if you have all this money to spend. Go twin scroll K24 with anti lag and sequential, and **** 400whp, make it 600+ whp. If you're going to build the engine and go sequential you can keep it in boost no problem.

Let me know when we all wake up from this dream

·
Registered
977 Posts
I said around 400whp.
Let me blow your minds, Here's an M62 putting down 400whp (dynos aren't all created the same) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzmALCRSQe0

There is a guy who made close to 500whp with the TVS 1320 but he was on E85 - see comparison dynos in the first post
Magnuson MP2300 TVS K24 Build - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

I think there is someone in the lotus community making over 400whp with the TVS 1320 but most fall in the high 300s range. Thats "around 400whp" which are the exact words I used.

I told you you just needed pistons to get there too, although if you want to be close to 400 whp you'll need headwork / porting as well. Thats not 10k into the engine.
You would need about 5-6k into either transmission to make them strong enough to be reliable, regardless of engine you went with though (again k motor swap doesn't avoid this cost)
And if you went sequential, again doesn't matter which powertrain you went with.

Honestly if you have all this money to spend. Go twin scroll K24 with anti lag and sequential, and **** 400whp, make it 600+ whp. If you're going to build the engine and go sequential you can keep it in boost no problem.

Let me know when we all wake up from this dream
Buddy we're talking about a TVS1320 on a 1.8L 2ZZ...so if you have someone doing 400 whp on that on 91 oct, please produce it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Buddy we're talking about a TVS1320 on a 1.8L 2ZZ...so if you have someone doing 400 whp on that on 91 oct, please produce it.
You're being dense, I already explained my comment about the 400whp in the thread you quoted.
This thread is about if it makes sense to go k20. So it's not just about the 2ZZ. It's about the 2zz and the K series. And the point I'm making is there's not much advantage to the K swap unless you're looking for more power.
There doesn't need to be a 400whp dyno sheet to mean that it's possible, the lotus community is just much smaller, and drag racing doesn't seem to be much of a "thing" around here for obvious reasons, which is the real reason you don't see it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
You're being dense, I already explained my comment about the 400whp in the thread you quoted.
This thread is about if it makes sense to go k20. So it's not just about the 2ZZ. It's about the 2zz and the K series. And the point I'm making is there's not much advantage to the K swap unless you're looking for more power.
There doesn't need to be a 400whp dyno sheet to mean that it's possible, the lotus community is just much smaller, and drag racing doesn't seem to be much of a "thing" around here for obvious reasons, which is the real reason you don't see it.
I'm going to assume that you inferred a certain tone from my comment that I didn't mean to suggest, so I'm going to let that slide.

For the record, I have a BOE built motor with all the bells and whistles, including the REV400, so it should be clear what side of the debate I'm on. I only commented on this thread at all because you got short with the guy REAL quick when he expressed some doubt about what you were saying, and it didn't seem warranted to me.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Depending on your budget you may want to consider buying a finished project for a lot less money.

I'm kicking the idea around on selling mine to help fund a GT3

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm going to assume that you inferred a certain tone from my comment that I didn't mean to suggest, so I'm going to let that slide.

For the record, I have a BOE built motor with all the bells and whistles, including the REV400, so it should be clear what side of the debate I'm on. I only commented on this thread at all because you got short with the guy REAL quick when he expressed some doubt about what you were saying, and it didn't seem warranted to me.
Appreciate it and yes I did. It seemed like you were stuck on the 400 number and essentially disregarding everything else I was saying because I mentioned that you could get in the range with the Rev400 kit.
I have a Rev400 kit as well, but as I mentioned in the last conversation that came up like this, and BOE took offense, just because BOE hasn't done it doesn't mean it's not possible. They just build cars for a different purpose and most owners on this forum use our cars for a different purpose. If anyone was actually chasing numbers or quarter mile times, I'm sure they could squeeze 400whp out of the 1320. Also depends on the dyno.

I gave a sensible breakdown of K vs supercharged 2zz. Just because I have a Rev400 kit, I'm not pushing for the 2zz in fact I'm considering K Swapping anyway because it opens up options with regards to tuning and after market support, and the extra displacement/head flow would spool a turbo quicker, But after doing the same research I've found that making power with a K motor still leaves you with a weak transmission, expensive axles, potentially even worse shifter feel, and no stronger of a stock bottom end.
So both need a built bottom end, both need a built transmssion, or different transmission if the OP really wants significantly more than 400whp.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not obsessed with that number just I know myself and at some point I may want more. Also I like the ability to go sequential. yes I know you can do it also with the 2zz but it is not as easy. Your cost analysis is also very flawed. they are not the same price for Honda stuff vs 2zz and you have an infinite amount of choices with Honda. not to mention if I want to go NA I can make 350 rwhp relatively easy. 2zz cant crack 200 easily. I understand the ease of the rev400 I do. I also am married to a company that doesn't return phone calls or emails regularly. if there is any issue they may get to it but not on my schedule. my worry is not unfounded as some on this forum pretend.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
not obsessed with that number just I know myself and at some point I may want more. Also I like the ability to go sequential. yes I know you can do it also with the 2zz but it is not as easy. Your cost analysis is also very flawed. they are not the same price for Honda stuff vs 2zz and you have an infinite amount of choices with Honda. not to mention if I want to go NA I can make 350 rwhp relatively easy. 2zz cant crack 200 easily. I understand the ease of the rev400 I do. I also am married to a company that doesn't return phone calls or emails regularly. if there is any issue they may get to it but not on my schedule. my worry is not unfounded as some on this forum pretend.
As much as I commend the work that BOE does, this is one of the reasons I decided on swapping a Honda into my Exige. The 2zz platform has little aftermarket development. The K series from Honda? LOTS of aftermarket support. BOE and by extension Blackwatch are small operations. So is Monkey Wrench and they have a dubious rep around these parts. These small shops don't always have time to respond in a timely manner. BOE, to be fair, in my experience has always been helpful when I do get to communicate with them.

The Honda tuner market is just so huge that it's a factor that can not be ignored.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You will probably want more. I'm at around 300 whp, only had the car a short time and I feel like it could have come that way stock, but I'm coming from a low 11 sec car.
As Butters said it seems like most of the vendors for the lotus platform seem overworked and under payed. I too get the feeling when I've called a couple of them (to ask questions about how to spend my money) that they're annoyed by my outreach.

Being a business owner I can understand a bit, but when they're the only game in town, it's not like you can go down the street to the next vendor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts