The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think the cost of doing a K20A swap in a lotus is? Also, who what brand would you recommend for an aftermarket header for the lotus with that swap?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You can take a look at my spreadsheet for an idea. Keep in mind you can find K20 and K24 longblocks for much less than what I paid for. As far as header goes, you can go with DC Sport header or go big and hit up HyTech for their full stainless system, which is what I did. Innovative Mounts has an engine mount kit that is great, I'd recommend of their softer durometer bushings.

·
Less is Better
2,855 Posts
You can take a look at my spreadsheet for an idea. Keep in mind you can find K20 and K24 longblocks for much less than what I paid for. As far as header goes, you can go with DC Sport header or go big and hit up HyTech for their full stainless system, which is what I did. Innovative Mounts has an engine mount kit that is great, I'd recommend of their softer durometer bushings.
@rtrinidad - Or you could just buy @Butters' car.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I think you're talking $5-10k minimum. Double that if you have a shop do it for you.
@chriarov I think 10k is likely the low-end of the range for someone who turns a good wrench, pinches pennies, doesn't open the block, and doesn't add forced induction.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Breakdown.
$950 - K24A / JDM (ACURA TSX 2.4L 2004-2008 RBB K24A VTEC ENGINE K24A2 (200 HP) - | JDM ENGINE PA)
$500 - Mount kit (Innovative Mounts 2005+ Lotus Exige/Elise K-Series Mount Kit)
$1500 - Rebuilt/Fresh 6spd Transmission (RSX GearX K-Series Manual Transmission K20A2 600HP-GD600-K20)
$1100 - Kpro V4 with ECU (Hondata K-Pro V4 (02-04 K-Series Engine))
$280 - Wiring kit (MWR Wiring Kit - Lotus Elise Exige K20 K24 Swap - Also Other Applications)
$1000? - Header, likely need custom
$250 - shifter cables
$1000 - Various fittings, adapters, hoses, bolts, missing accessories
$500 - Clutch kit
$865 - Axles (Insane Shafts Racing Axles (2) - Lotus Elise-Exige K-series Swap - 500hp)

-------
~$8000 - That's without a shop doing any of the labor of install.

Notes:
  • The biggest unknown is cost for the header. You could buy a regular kseries header and modify it to the Lotus chassis, add a mid-pipe, and call it a day. That'll be probably around $600 or so. Custom can be as high as $3000.
  • You can source a lot of this stuff used. ie, ECUs have been known to sell for $750 for V4s. But, it's risky. Gearboxes can be sourced used as well for around $800, but likely need some refurb.
  • The little things is what kills the budget, usually. O2 sensor, AN4 fitting to 1/4NPT... junk like that
  • You're going to want to replace gaskets, seals, all hoses, and add aftermarket parts to it to make install easier (ie. lower coolant port, upper coolant port, different intake manifold). This will easily jump that budget a few grand.

Now, pay some shop $180/hr to install and it gets pricey. Sure, if you have EVERYTHING on hand, it may only take a few hours to install, but a shop is going to charge you 40 hours or more. Afterall, they need to pay their rent.

You can recoup a bit by selling your working Toyota drivetrain, but it's still a pricey venture.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Breakdown.
$950 - K24A / JDM (ACURA TSX 2.4L 2004-2008 RBB K24A VTEC ENGINE K24A2 (200 HP) - | JDM ENGINE PA)
$500 - Mount kit (Innovative Mounts 2005+ Lotus Exige/Elise K-Series Mount Kit)
$1500 - Rebuilt/Fresh 6spd Transmission (RSX GearX K-Series Manual Transmission K20A2 600HP-GD600-K20)
$1100 - Kpro V4 with ECU (Hondata K-Pro V4 (02-04 K-Series Engine))
$280 - Wiring kit (MWR Wiring Kit - Lotus Elise Exige K20 K24 Swap - Also Other Applications)
$1000? - Header, likely need custom
$250 - shifter cables
$1000 - Various fittings, adapters, hoses, bolts, missing accessories
$500 - Clutch kit
$865 - Axles (Insane Shafts Racing Axles (2) - Lotus Elise-Exige K-series Swap - 500hp)

-------
~$8000 - That's without a shop doing any of the labor of install.

Notes:
  • The biggest unknown is cost for the header. You could buy a regular kseries header and modify it to the Lotus chassis, add a mid-pipe, and call it a day. That'll be probably around $600 or so. Custom can be as high as $3000.
  • You can source a lot of this stuff used. ie, ECUs have been known to sell for $750 for V4s. But, it's risky. Gearboxes can be sourced used as well for around $800, but likely need some refurb.
  • The little things is what kills the budget, usually. O2 sensor, AN4 fitting to 1/4NPT... junk like that
  • You're going to want to replace gaskets, seals, all hoses, and add aftermarket parts to it to make install easier (ie. lower coolant port, upper coolant port, different intake manifold). This will easily jump that budget a few grand.
Now, pay some shop $180/hr to install and it gets pricey. Sure, if you have EVERYTHING on hand, it may only take a few hours to install, but a shop is going to charge you 40 hours or more. Afterall, they need to pay their rent.

You can recoup a bit by selling your working Toyota drivetrain, but it's still a pricey venture.
You'll also need a new throttle pedal / cable setup as well if the K engine is drive by cable.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thought I would chime in, my swap project is now finished and I'll be picking up the car later this week after tune.
I didn't have neither the skills or the time to do, so I asked Trackspec in Fremont CA to do the work. They just finished the same swap on their race Exige.

Final cost for a K24 swap on a track only 2005 Elise was about $18k all in, which includes the following:
  • 2ZZ engine removal, bay clean up
  • K24A2 engine prep, new seals/gaskets/spark plugs/sensors/timing chain tensionner/harness/alternator/water pump/pulley kit/ VTC gear...
  • Innovative engine mounts, axles, shift cable adapter
  • Moroso baffled oil pan
  • K20 oil pump conversion
  • RDX injectors
  • Exedy clutch & flywheel
  • Walbro fuel pump
  • custom Hytech Header ($2.3k)
  • Y2M3 transmission (6 speed with LSD, $2.4k)
  • corner balance + alignment
  • engine tune
  • resell of old drivetrain (engine not running, dropped a valve and cylinder 1 damaged)

Not included above are couple engine upgrades I added (valve springs, cams, intake manifold)
Interestingly, final weight is almost identical to the 2ZZ!

·
Registered
390 Posts
That looks... tempting! Nice setup!

You are California right? What's the deal with smog and an engine swap here?

·
Registered
153 Posts
That looks... tempting! Nice setup!

Thanks, Jon and his team did an incredible job so far and I can’t wait to test it.
Good question for the smog, I don’t actually plan to register it since I have a trailer.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had to deal with Vegas smog requirements, which is very similar to CA.

Make sure you use a Kpro/Ktuner or other piggy-back solutions for your ECU, don't use a full standalone, as they do not have a functional OBD2 port that sends out emission/DTC info. That's an automatic fail there.

You'll want to find a shop that doesn't do a visual inspection of emission controls (ie. charcoal canister, egr valve, etc)... just one that can plug into the OBD2 port and run the smog test. You'll want to make sure the info in Kpro is set correctly with the VIN and such, or it'll fail.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am a shop that just did a second elise k swap, but only the wiring on the second. I have a thread of the 1st swap, which is a full swap and is my car now. The exhaust manifold is simple, mine is just a dc header with the outlet changed to a v-band clamp. But I will say the dc has small diameter primaries and generic aftermarkets with larger primaries can be found on e-bay. I highly recommend one of them, better price and flow. If you have any problems you can pm me, or even bring it to me if you desire, I have no idea how far you are from me, Im in Phoenix Arizona. When I did the swap I did a full rewire in the back, put the hondata in the cab, HONDA COMPUTERS ARE NOT WATERPROOF, sorry, everyone I see has the comp in the engine bay. This second one I did was just the rewire as he couldnt get it to run with the monkey wrench harness (it is a pretty generic harness). He had already moounted the comp in the engine bay, so I just rewired it with three 30a automotive relays to remove the factory main relay and one rear fuse box. I also did the front fan and a/c relay box replacement as it was failing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I didnt say what the first one cost due to a few reasons: it was my fathers, we did a few extra things like cruise control, it has full a/c, he bought many of the parts himself including the jdm civic r k20 thats about the most expensive one with out a factory turbo. With all that in mind it was in the 22k area.
If anybody wants me to do thjis swap, 15 to 25k is my basic starting point, I think I could do 10k but that would be cutting corners that Im not sure I would be willing to do. There are a lot of variables on price so a work order or at least a plan would need to be written up to for a better number

·
Registered
140 Posts
Also anyone doing a swap or that has done a swap. i did a direct connection of the shifter cables without the "adapter lever bracket". My elise shifts better than the factory and a lot better than the two swaps Ive worked on with the adapter. While Id love to do the brackets myself, I would still rather explain it and help another k swapped lotus be done right by someone else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts