The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here installed the KAAZ close-ratio gears in their Exiges? If so, I’ve got a bunch of questions… How is the quality? Do you get all the needle bearings and syncro gears with the “kit”. What final drive ratio did you use. Would you do it again or go with a “dog” box.

·
Registered
583 Posts
can't comment on some of it, but the 'kit' is just gears, no bearings, syncro's etc, you need a complete std box to start with.

Only experience I have of them is they are quite noisy, can;t comment on how strong/durable they are.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
the close ratio is heavenly... For those that haven't driven a CR box, you're missing out...

That said, they are loud... Despite being helical cut, I'd put them in a similar camp as my straight-cut sequential box. They also use the older syncro design that our Lotus does NOT use. So you MUSt get the older style when selecting these gears.

Strength: Stronger than stock, but not as strong as the dog boxes available and I doubt as strong as the SSC or Jubu 3/4 gears.

as for FD, just put it all into a spreadsheet and determine where you want top speed to fall. My suggestion is to shoot for 145-150mph if you're SC'd, and 130mph if NA.

Hope that helps a bit,

Phil

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure! Great information…in fact, you’ve answered my questions the best.

What is the “older” design of syncros? So a whole new set of gears; syncros; bearings…this begins to add up! At this point, is it any cheaper than a dog box? Is that the only reason I would go to a KAAZ gear set instead of a dog box…cost?

Jumping to dog boxes; do the gear sets fit inside the Toyota case? Are they a sequential box too? If so, where/how do they stick the shifting drum into the Toyota case?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sure! Great information…in fact, you’ve answered my questions the best.

What is the “older” design of syncros? So a whole new set of gears; syncros; bearings…this begins to add up! At this point, is it any cheaper than a dog box? Is that the only reason I would go to a KAAZ gear set instead of a dog box…cost?

Jumping to dog boxes; do the gear sets fit inside the Toyota case? Are they a sequential box too? If so, where/how do they stick the shifting drum into the Toyota case?
The sequential set for the toyo gearbox is made by quafie, and requires donor parts from the existing box. You get some new castngs and gears with that setup.
There's a few threads on that already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts