The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be installing a Kantana 2 super charger + G oil pan on my 2005 Elise next week at my local autoshop. The ECU has already been removed as the car sits immobile at the moment. Shop foreman insists on removing the rear clam before starting the job and bill me for addition labor for this procedure.

Is rear clam removal necessary? Should I pick up my car and leave for another shop?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I havne't done an SC install, but I hear its much easier with the clam removed. But, I have also heard of people doing it themselves with the clam on.

If I was you, I think you should get the car back to your house, and do it yourself. There are lots of people on here that have very little mechanical experience and decide to do a SC install. I think it would be a lot of fun, and there are lots of resources on here if you get stuck. So I say give it a shot and take lots of pics!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The Katana 265 kit (katana2 kit plus headers, intake, injectors and flash) was installed on my 05 Elise without clam removal. Labor wise, it is slightly less total labor without removing the clam. Takes a bit longer to bolt the stuff up, but you don't have the labor time of removing/installing the clam. I took mine to a shop (DietschWerks, SanJose) as I didn't have a garage to install it myself, and it preserves the warranty on the supercharger. I was very pleased with the outcome. It was worth the 1900 mile round-trip to the shop and back.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have done four kits and I am totally convinced that clam off is the way to go. You can reach things easier, use the right tools, and see what your doing. And the way to make that even better is a clamhinge because after you do that once tilting the clam is a 2 min job and removing it is a 10 min job.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I wanted to install the hinge, but potentially there is a classing issue in the SCCA with the hinge. Until something definative comes out of the SCCA gods on the hinge issue, I will hold off on the hinge. It stradles the edge of "comfort and convenience" and "competative advantage" (as it applies to ease of rapid shock and other adjustments).

·
Registered
645 Posts
I did mine with clam on and it was easy as could be. Im a toyota mechanic though so I'm used to working bent over and in uncomfortable positions. Taking the clam off is 100 percent not needed however they are a business and they want to charge you for anything they can.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Experience is from an Exige which has more room around the engine then the Elise. Have done both clam on and clam off. Clam on was doable. The side intercooler and the Evap canister were the hardest part but that shouldn't be an issue with your particular kit. Thats not to say that I didn't find it vastly easier to get to everything with the body off. Its actually enjoyable working on it due to all the free access you get.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts