The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am installing a Katana on my Elise, but unfortunately do not have the instructions from S111. Everything is going very well, but I have two questions regarding the Alternator brackets.

1. In the photo below, I have circled the small plate that goes with the two lower alternator brackets. Did I put this in the right location (between the two brackets), or should it be against the bolt heads (and the two brackets touching)?

2. Which of the two visible holes on the lower bracket do I use to mount the alternator?

3. I installed new injector "cushions" along with the RC injectors, but the cushions don't seem to fit as snug as on the stock injectors. The top fit perfect into the rail, but the lower just seemed a bit looser than what i'm used to. Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
It goes against the bolt head with the two brackets touching. This is supposed to act as a large washer for the two bolts to help spread the load better. In the photo above... that is the WRONG place to put it.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
I believe the new way to do it is to put a black plate on both sides to apread the load even more. And to change the ildler pulley to a larger one with a longer belt.

The alt bracket is handed and if you line everything up...temp put the alternator in...and the rest of the parts...it becomes obvious how it goes.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It goes against the bolt head with the two brackets touching. This is supposed to act as a large washer for the two bolts to help spread the load better. In the photo above... that is the WRONG place to put it.
Awesome, thanks!

I believe the new way to do it is to put a black plate on both sides to apread the load even more. And to change the ildler pulley to a larger one with a longer belt.

The alt bracket is handed and if you line everything up...temp put the alternator in...and the rest of the parts...it becomes obvious how it goes.
I did receive the larger idler pulley and belt with my kit; however, I only received one black plate. Should I contact them for another? In the meantime, I guess I'll move it to the outer location.

Thank you!

I should wrap up the install tomorrow and send out the ECU on Monday. :nanner2:

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
If I can see it I will check on the car I did....

I could have sworn there were 2 black brackets...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added a third question about fuel injectors.

"Also, I installed new injector "cushions" along with the RC injectors, but the cushions don't seem to fit as snug as on the stock injectors. The top fit perfect into the rail, but the lower just seemed a bit looser than what i'm used to. Is this going to be a problem?"

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
On the car I helped with the install, not mine, we used the new cushions first. we had 2 of them that became split and semi crushed.dont know if it was our fault. We replaced them with the old ones and lt works fine.

We did have to re do the o rings on the fuel rail several times before we got it to stop leaking.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I had it done by a S111 installer. But I was there the whole time and helped with the install. Injectors, everythig was right and tight the first time.

The bracket for the alternator, I don't really know. Space was tight and the mechanic worked from below the car to install the lower bracket. I can't quite help, sorry.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
There is *for certain* just one back plate and, as mentioned, it is used as a large washer. The plate goes between the bolt head and the steel bracket- different than what you've got in that picture.

The injectors use the stock cushions that are in the head. they should slip right in...in a seemingly too easy way;) Use just dab of grease around the o-rings on the top of the injectors to ensure the rail slips over them smoothly...

If you get stumped, feel free to PM for my cell. I'll be tinkering on Lotus stuff most of the day in the shop...

Best,

Phil

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Here's a pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you get stumped, feel free to PM for my cell. I'll be tinkering on Lotus stuff most of the day in the shop...

Best,

Phil

No, no, no. Don't bother Phil. He will be VERY busy today cutting apart and reading my used spark plugs. As soon as he is finished he will be available to help you out. :D

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, time to go wrap up the install. Can I start the car on the stock ECU just to check for injector leaks?

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
You can actually drive the car just fine on the stock ECU, just drive like there's an egg under your foot;) The roots blowers are pretty darn easy to crusie around town on with the stock tune, just don't go around getting "jiggy with it" :D

I gotta get to work on Scott's stuff now:D

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Thanks guys, time to go wrap up the install. Can I start the car on the stock ECU just to check for injector leaks?
You realise that the stock ECU won't know what to do with the boost?

TurboPhil knows his stuff. But I would certainly NOT take a chance to drive the car like that. It would probably run rich because of the new injectors. But why take a chance? When you get the reflash, start it then. If you get a check engine, don't drive the car! Someone on moremonkey learned the hard way... If everything is alright, car will start right up, idle fine and drive well. If anything seems not right, you messed something up.

If you really want to check the connections, normally, just by turning the key to on (without starting the engine) the fuel pressure is gonna be up. If it doesn't leak, it shouldn't leak when you start the engine.

Good luck and let us know when you're done.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, a few more problems. In the picture below:

1. The bolt I circled in Yellow is much to small for the hole it is in. I don't think this is the right location, but there is no other place even close to mount this.

2. The alternator is touching the blower where I circled it in green.

3. The pulleys do not align. See red lines.

Whats going on!? :confused:

Attachments

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
The pulley is always slightly off. Nature of the beast. The belt travel from the SC to the idler on exhaust side of the engine is far enough way that you will not have any alignment issues. Over 100 cars with this setup and not one has a belt issue due to alignment...

The alt should be close to the SC, but not touching. When you're tightening down the bolts for the alt mounting, push the alt toward the firewall and then snug everything up. You'll have about 1/8" clearance when done correctly...

I PM'ed you my number. Feel free to call...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
1. The bolt I circled in Yellow is much to small for the hole it is in. I don't think this is the right location, but there is no other place even close to mount this.
It looks like it is the right location. My bolt fits perfectly. Make sure you have the correct one.

2. The alternator is touching the blower where I circled it in green.
It might be touching, I can't know for sure. But when everything is thightened it might not touch anymore.

3. The pulleys do not align. See red lines.
According to your red line it doesn't line to your stock pulley that's on the left and lower. So maybe it's just a perpective problem. Check from behind the car to know for sure. Mine line up perfectly.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
If you dont have them..I have them somewhere in PDF format. I also think they are on the Sector site.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts