The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Katana SC & Larini exhaust on my '09 Elise last year. Ever since then I've noticed that when I jump on it the car really seems to lag - feels like it's hesitating. When I give it gas gradually it seems much better, but when it's all at once is when I notice the problem. Any thoughts or ideas on where I can start?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Did the kit come with new spark plugs? If yes, are they gapped at 0.032"? If no, check the spark plugs. Buy a set of NGK BKR7E and gap them to 0.032". Second, put diaelectric grease on the coilpacks. Third, pull the MAF and clean it with CRC MAF cleaner.

I have a similar issue. At any gear, any RPM, any speed, if I press the throtlle down hard, the car would hesitate and bog as if it lost power. If I kept the throttle down, it will pick itself back up after about 2 seconds and then take off. However, if I slowly press down on the throttle and the RPM raises up gradually, it would not have that problem. I did the above three things and it fixed it about 80%. There is still a little bit of issue but I'm still working it out. But it cleared out most of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the plugs already. I'll clean the coilpacks & MAF and see if that fixes it. I checked for a vacuum leak & couldn't find anything, not to say that there isn't one - not much room to work with!

If the TPS was bad, wouldn't there be a problem all the time & not just at WOT?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I'm going to try and swap in new coilpacks next. I still have some hesitation but only if I stab the throttle in high gear at low speeds. If I go on it from a stop, there are no more issues. Also check your air filter. Some other member had this issue and it was his clogged air filter. Unfortunately mine doesn't appear as simple.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Did the plugs already. I'll clean the coilpacks & MAF and see if that fixes it. I checked for a vacuum leak & couldn't find anything, not to say that there isn't one - not much room to work with!

If the TPS was bad, wouldn't there be a problem all the time & not just at WOT?
Not at all. A TPS will tend to develop dead spots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cleaned both the coilpacks and MAF. When I took the MAF out of the housing I instantly saw what the problem was - it was almost totally covered with black residue! I cleaned it thoroughly & noticed a HUGE difference when I had the car out on the road. Thanks for your help, everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts