The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after spending more than I should on center caps, I'm wondering what people are doing to keep their caps on the wheels. I've lost one and cracked another and don't want to keep buying replacements. Silicone? Duct tape? Anything more elegant? Do people always take them off on track?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I dont take mine off at the track. I just walk around the car and knock each one on if i remember to after a session.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I lost one, and I doubt it fell off. It has a lotus symbol, and it is not fixed to the car, so the kiddies steal them methinks.

·
Registered
545 Posts
So after spending more than I should on center caps, I'm wondering what people are doing to keep their caps on the wheels. I've lost one and cracked another and don't want to keep buying replacements. Silicone? Duct tape? Anything more elegant? Do people always take them off on track?
I take them off on track. They virtually melt away on the Evora. Have last all 4 once, found one in the pit-lane but it didn't fit any more.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My centre covers are obviously loosening over time on both sets of wheels. Was going to lose them eventually.

I have spent some time on this and now have made some plastic tube inserts that make the covers fit more tightly. It took a bit of playing to get the size right so they could still be removed but wouldn't fall out. They now click in quite firmly again. I'll post some pics later today to show what I did and the outside dimension for the tube which is the only clever bit.

The ones I made suit the raised centre covers on the Exige on both the LSS and stick wheels.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I keep my wheel caps from getting lost by not putting them on the car. :p
We can't all be as dedicated to performance over looks as you :p

My inserts turned out to be 42.9mm OD 13mm wide and 2.5mm wall thickness gave what I thought was the right "click" when I installed the covers. They survived 75 laps a few weekends ago with no sign of loosening or being impacted by heat. I just retained them in the covers with some silicone.

Just hope the dimensions are of use to someone else.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I've tried silicone and two sided adhesive tape. Thing is that in track use the hubs get so hot as to about melt them
Have lost plenty, 3 in one session early on.
Would never run them on track again.

Then I don't put them back on and they sit forever protected in a cabinet.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've tried silicone and two sided adhesive tape. Thing is that in track use the hubs get so hot as to about melt them
Have lost plenty, 3 in one session early on.
Would never run them on track again.

Then I don't put them back on and they sit forever protected in a cabinet.
Would you like to test some rings? Now that Ive made the tooling to fit in my lathe they don't take too long to make.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hot glue them to the wheel. It will hold but easy enough to remove when you need to balance the wheels. I have one or two that barely clip in, haven't flew off yet somehow.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
My inserts turned out to be 42.9mm OD 13mm wide and 2.5mm wall thickness gave what I thought was the right "click" when I installed the covers.
Just hope the dimensions are of use to someone else.
Great idea and thanks for sharing.
I'll definitely try this out :up:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd be willing to test them out. I've been on a track hiatus but am hoping to get in some track days very soon.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I'm on an hiatus right now too. Off for Goodwood in two weeks, just too much to do.

I have a couple of Cup wheel centers that do have a metal spring clip. Never tried them because I expect they would melt.

Thank you for the offer, look forward to hearing how they work.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I used a brulee torch to soften the plastic clips.
Once softened, a plier worked well.
Mine are almost unturnable and certainly
not removable without some serious forearms.
Maybe Barry could remove them, wait not anymore though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts