The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Block does these cute tricks in videos meanwhile Sebastian Loeb makes him his b!itch in the WRC (you know, actual RACING) - and even on Block's own turf here in the US at the X Games.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've met block twice in person, both at Rally America events- afterpaty, tech (I used to crew for a team)

Despite the, even in my opinion, incredibly d-bag look he seems to emanate- he is an incredibly nice, approachable guy in real life and is in it for the fun of it.

He's also damn talented at the above kinda slide-around stuff. Not that it is incredibly useful in any normal form of motorsport... doesn't mean he isn't damn good at it.

The car is rather incredible too. Something that makes that much horsepower with a sequential, all wheel drive gearbox that you can bounce off the rev limiter and bang into walls for an hour on end and it takes it in stride.... has to be rather well put together.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Very interesting to watch. You can tell by the tire tracks that this was done in a number of takes.

I don't really understand the whole drifting and WRC world, but from what I can tell, he's pretty much a non-entity in that world correct?

So, while I'm impressed with the trickery, I can't help but think that he's like the Harlem Globetrotters. :)

As for the whole d-bag thing, I'm amazed to find out that he's 44 years old. I thought only 11 year olds with skinny jeans and backwards hair wore DC shoes! :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, he's one of the co-founders and chief executives of DC shoes- hence the product.

That's what pays for the rally car (that, and Monster)... not the other way around.

He was a business guy who liked rallying, and it turns out he's actually not that bad at it. I'd do the same thing....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't really understand the whole drifting and WRC world, but from what I can tell, he's pretty much a non-entity in that world correct?

So, while I'm impressed with the trickery, I can't help but think that he's like the Harlem Globetrotters. :)
Correct. While Block is clearly an extremely talented driver, he has performed poorly in all of the WRC events that he's competed in.

I'm not sure if you're lumping drifting and the WRC together, by the way, but I can assure you that the two series are worlds apart. One is a more recent fad/trend from Japan where drivers are judged based on style points (drifting) while the other is a worldwide (real) racing series (WRC) - the winner is simply the fastest from Point A to Point B. Drivers of the WRC are among the most talented (and b*llsy) in the world.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sure it's not racing and yeah it's mostly based on style but Ken Block wields that beast around the course like surgeon with a scalpel and it looks like an absolute freakin blast! I love these videos.

·
Registered
736 Posts
That 'boy' still got it. Quite the artistic display and talent of car control.
Weird to see San Fran to uninhabited-looking. Must be early Sunday morning or something? I realize certain areas were closed off. But there's hardly any traffic, people on foot anywhere or people even on their balconies enjoying the sun and a drink. Most likely the public wasn't tipped off otherwise there'd be masses on the sidelines and rooftops.
1.8 second 0-60 sounds fun too.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I spent some time in San Fran around the fisherman's wharf area, Alacatraz, etc and I didn't find it too bad. Was in February though, perfect temps for me in teh 50-60s!

·
Registered
287 Posts
"Despite the, even in my opinion, incredibly d-bag look he seems to emanate- he is an incredibly nice, approachable guy in real life and is in it for the fun of it."

Hmmm...Schumi, I would have to disagree. At a Rally America event he flat out denied my request for an autograph. There I was, silver permanent marker in hand no more then 5 feet away, smiling with small amount of being starstruck:

"Hey Ken, how about an autograph?"
5 second pause

"Nah, I've gotta get back in the car"

at which point he talked to his crew chief for 10 minutes and then went into his RV for lunch.

But I am still a fan of his skills and a tad jealous of the ability to shut down a city for the fun of it.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
They didn't really make very good use of the bullet-time shots - they look almost like panning shots done with a normal camera.

"Despite the, even in my opinion, incredibly d-bag look he seems to emanate- he is an incredibly nice, approachable guy in real life and is in it for the fun of it."

Hmmm...Schumi, I would have to disagree. At a Rally America event he flat out denied my request for an autograph. There I was, silver permanent marker in hand no more then 5 feet away, smiling with small amount of being starstruck:

"Hey Ken, how about an autograph?"
5 second pause

"Nah, I've gotta get back in the car"

at which point he talked to his crew chief for 10 minutes and then went into his RV for lunch.

But I am still a fan of his skills and a tad jealous of the ability to shut down a city for the fun of it.

Was this at Olympus Rally? I was at Sno*Drift and Olympus and his car had DNFed both times because it had broken (transmission issues).

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
^ well there was no CGI, those "bullet time shots" were done with an array of cameras taking photos all at once, scrolled in the video. pretty cool for no computer effects.

if you open it up to CGI/"not done with a normal camera", it ruins it IMO

1 - 20 of 31 Posts