The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems pretty good, but jokingly expensive. Take a look-see.

Winding Road said:
Today’s little miracle? The K.O. 7 Spider, a minimalist two-seat roadster from designer Ken Okuyama. Now, latter-day Lotus 7s are a dime a dozen in this business, but this one is surprisingly well proportioned, and better still, handsomely finished. Okuyama-san’s P.R. folks aren’t at liberty to discuss where they sourced the engine for the K.O. 7, but it is powered by a rear-mid-engine 2.0-liter 240 horsepower of Japanese origin, so use your imagination. Given that it weighs just 750 kilograms (about 1650 pounds), the little carbon and aluminum-bodied roadster should scoot down the road and around corners quite nicely.

Okuyama-san expects to build 99 examples of the K.O. 7 with MODI, and the gorgeously done interior (complete with TAG Heuer gauges, custom made thin-back racing buckets, and a twin cowl design) is expected to make the transition to production. Everything is so nicely done that we suggest spending a bit of money on the steering column control stalks, which are frankly a little ordinary.

We also hope to see the novel headlamps make it into production, which ride low against the nose cone until activated, at which point they swing up and out on their own arms to better light the road ahead.

Now, why should we expect this car to succeed where others have failed? Okuyama-san has a solid track record of producing hits, and has worked for Porsche, Pininfarina (where he helped design the Ferrari Enzo and Maserati Quattroporte), and even General Motors (where he served as Design Director and Chief Designer and helped design the C5 Corvette).

The only potential sticking point may be price. For such an exclusive, hand craftsmanship-intensive project, the K.O. 7 may well ring up north of $100,000 U.S.
Source, more pictures and also press release here:

http://news.windingroad.com/countriesmarkets/japan/08-geneva-todays-little-miracle-the-ko-7-spider/

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Cool. Looks like a 7, an Atom, and a Spyker collided.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I can't see the spyker elements personally, since it doesn't look like a murse factory collided with a sex shop.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I can't see the spyker elements personally, since it doesn't look like a murse factory collided with a sex shop.
rotfl

The interior is a bit "jeweled up" for my taste. And those wheels...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Err, Doesn't look seven inspired to me.
Non roadster proportions, mid engined, mudguards on monoposto looks.
Closest would be formula ford inspired.

m

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I am shocked that none of you can see that he has built that on an Elise chassis:wave:

I think $100K is more than fair, Ken Okuyama will go down in history as one of the great car designers:bow:

Mods, this should be moved to Elise variants :shift:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts