The Lotus Cars Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it didnt take long for this derail into a full blown train wreck. By post #8 or so the thread began turning into a fact finding mission of which would win from a race from a dead stop, a copy of Car and Driver© or Sport Rider©. Unfortionatly, they were magazines and it was very hard to get a race out of them.

By post #14, one of the inevitable ****tards began dropping a series of bombshell discoveries including that the only reason a man would not spend 10-20 thousand dollars on a sport bike is becuase he does not have a huge gargantuan genitalia. This of course led many of us under developed males to realize instantly that he infact must have a most massive monster penis because he owns a bike.

The thread tried to stick to the facts and compare the machines themselves. We did not linger on the crude idea that there was a human controlling each machine. Simple things as drivers not pushing their machine to the limits are of no consequence. Things such as the perception of distance between two drivers not being as accurate as timed mechanical devices such as those found in official measurments are of no importance.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
I LOVE a good game of cat and mouse with a crotch rocket!! :evil:

:D

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
ORLY? :)

Quit beating up on the little kids (600cc) bikes! Bahahahah

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Did he know you were racing?
/jk

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I've kept up with a crotch rocket from a stop (we only went to about 60 or so), he was a bit surprised :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade, but trust me - unless it was a 250 or a 500 - he (or sounds more like a she) wasn't racing you. That or they just got the bike and were still trying to figure out the controls :D

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade, but trust me - unless it was a 250 or a 500 - he (or sounds more like a she) wasn't racing you. That or they just got the bike and were still trying to figure out the controls :D

If you are referring to me I hate to rain on your parade, but my car does 0-60 in around 3.7s, the average 600cc sport bike does 3-3.5s (if they can get a good launch) which is well within reason to be able to keep up. ;)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
"3.0-3.5s" 0-60?

^^^ .5 seconds makes a difference if we're only talking 0-60MPH. Most bikes don't even have to shift to hit 60MPH.... a 1L bike will do over 100MPH in 60.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
"3.0-3.5s" 0-60?

^^^ .5 seconds makes a difference if we're only talking 0-60MPH. Most bikes don't even have to shift to hit 60MPH.... a 1L bike will do over 100MPH in 60.

Umm, I said 600cc and .5s is nothing, it is half a car length at best. And I said I kept up, not beat ;)

Considering that I had to shift gears, that is the .5 sec right there :shift:

An R500 Caterham does 0-60 in 2.9s with a shift

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Umm, I said 600cc and .5s is nothing, it is half a car length at best. And I said I kept up, not beat ;)

^^^^^ Ahhh yet another reason why I hate you rotfl I want your car :)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
^^^^^ Ahhh yet another reason why I hate you rotfl I want your car :)
rotfl Yeah, but I could have a different bike for every day of the week for the cost of a Caterham :eek:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Here we go again. Car guys are always trying compare their cars to bikes. I am assuming it is to compensate for not having the balls to ride a bike. I track both bikes and cars in the advanced group and the bikes are faster. Do a google search for the west coast motorcycle racing club called "AFM". The top 600 riders are pulling a 1:50 at Thunderhill and Buttonwillow on their 600s. If anyone on this board even dreams about doing a 1:50 at Thunderhill or Buttonwillow in their Lotus, they better wake up and apologize to the cycle riders.

My CBR600 whips my Gotham Exige - and I am a better driver than motorcycle rider. I carry dramatically higher straightaway speeds on the CBR. Bikes are faster, end of discussion.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Here we go again. Car guys are always trying compare their cars to bikes. I am assuming it is to compensate for not having the balls to ride a bike. I track both bikes and cars in the advanced group and the bikes are faster. Do a google search for the west coast motorcycle racing club called "AFM". The top 600 riders are pulling a 1:50 at Thunderhill and Buttonwillow on their 600s. If anyone on this board even dreams about doing a 1:50 at Thunderhill or Buttonwillow in their Lotus, they better wake up and apologize to the cycle riders.

My CBR600 whips my Gotham Exige - and I am a better driver than motorcycle rider. I carry dramatically higher straightaway speeds on the CBR. Bikes are faster, end of discussion.
Blah, blah, blah...... No one is comparing bikes to cars or arguing which one is faster, point was made that I kept up, end of discussion :thwack:

And BTW there are cars in Time Attack events running low 1:40's at BW

·
Registered
643 Posts
<snip>
Bikes are faster, end of discussion.
Okay. I've got to stir the pot on this one. Yes. A bike built and styled like a GP race bike is going to be faster on a track. However, the OP said he was on a freeway, not a track. When we're talking about a sprint to 60 from a standstill, a car that can get there in 3.9 will be close to a bike that does it in 3.2. It's an apples and oranges comparison. For instance, I will bet you pink slips that my '76 International Scout can beat your CBR600 in the quarter mile. My truck is unmodified, unless you count dents and rust holes, has 170 hp, weighs close to 4000 lbs, and you measure 0-60 times using a calendar. Bring your bike, as is, to the sand dunes of the beautiful Oregon coast and we'll lay out the track. ;)

-Brad

·
Registered
52 Posts

600cc sport bikes go to 60 just as fast as a liter bike, and go through a quarter miles easily in the 10s. He must have been just having fun with you cause 600 cc bikes are very very fast especially 60 to 120. In AMA racing its not uncommon for their lap times to be off of the bigger bikes by less than 0.5 secs at times.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
600cc sport bikes go to 60 just as fast as a liter bike, and go through a quarter miles easily in the 10s. He must have been just having fun with you cause 600 cc bikes are very very fast especially 60 to 120. In AMA racing its not uncommon for their lap times to be off of the bigger bikes by less than 0.5 secs at times.

:wallbang:

OK, what part of we only went to about 60mph did you not understand? Much above that speed my car is a brick and slows down dramatically, so I wouldn't even argue it.
I never said anything about 1/4 mile times or racing around a track so wtf are you people trying to argue over it? Seems to me you bike guys might have a bit of an inferiority complex -poke-

And I looked up the 0-60 times of some 600cc bikes and they were in the 3's, I am sure there are faster more extreme bikes, but there are also faster more extreme Caterhams
Besides, tracks are for pussies, what are you going to do with some bumps and gravel thrown in for good measure? :p

Oh, and judging by the double take he did when he noticed I was right behind him, I don't think he was just playing around with me :D

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you are referring to me I hate to rain on your parade, but my car does 0-60 in around 3.7s, the average 600cc sport bike does 3-3.5s (if they can get a good launch) which is well within reason to be able to keep up. ;)

To add upon what you stated, most sport bike owners don't have the talent, nor cajones, to get a 3-3.5 launch.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.