The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost one of my keys for the Elise. Lotus of Durham just reported they have no source for a blank to make a new key, but could "recylinder" doors and ignition. Considering I'd probably lose one of those too, I'm in a quandary.
Lotus garage has none available either.
Anyone have a suggestion? :shrug:
Anyone find a Lotus key at Carolina Motorsport Park?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
If you go to the first link in the search Larry provided you will find out all kinds of info about early keys: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/keys-key-blanks-free-stuff-19189/

If your car is an early '05 (with the lighted key), then a key for a Miata (that's what's shown in the diagram) will fit. The Miata key has an extension on the tip that isn't there on the Elise key however. An old fashioned key cutter (i.e. at a lock smith) can cut off the tip and make the key with no problem. The automated machines that they use now at places like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. can't do it as they don't trim off the tip.

If it's a later key, then never mind.

But read up in the link above...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have lost one of my keys for the Elise. Lotus of Durham just reported they have no source for a blank to make a new key, but could "recylinder" doors and ignition. Considering I'd probably lose one of those too, I'm in a quandary.
Lotus garage has none available either.
Anyone have a suggestion? :shrug:
Anyone find a Lotus key at Carolina Motorsport Park?

Hey, we met at the Lotus of Durham event at VIR earlier this year. I was the guy driving the red Elise with the black stripes and wing from Raleigh. You gave me the side mirror decal.

I've got a blank key and fob for an '05 that I don't need. LOD had a hard time coding the new fob to my alarm so we just replaced the whole alarm system (thankfully under warranty).

Anyway, that leaves me with a blank key. Send me your mailing address and I'll mail it out to you. I'll try to mail it out on Friday (I'm in Toronto until then).

- Reggie

·
Registered
141 Posts
I lost a set of keys as well. :shrug: Ended up order a uni-key from Blackwatch Racing that comes with a blank. Haven't gotten it yet, but I expect it should work fine.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, we met at the Lotus of Durham event at VIR earlier this year. I was the guy driving the red Elise with the black stripes and wing from Raleigh. You gave me the side mirror decal.

I've got a blank key and fob for an '05 that I don't need. LOD had a hard time coding the new fob to my alarm so we just replaced the whole alarm system (thankfully under warranty).

Anyway, that leaves me with a blank key. Send me your mailing address and I'll mail it out to you. I'll try to mail it out on Friday (I'm in Toronto until then).

- Reggie

Hi Reg, what a great forum! PM sent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I love the Blackwatch Racing key! But it took a pro locksmith 3 tries to get the blank cut to work - on the 2nd and 3rd attempts he had to climb in the car himself to feel it tumble - and I had to help pull him out both times - he said "thats worse than a 'Vette!" Anyways, I recommend getting a "pro" to cut the key - Home Depot didn't have a key cutting guide for my 06 Elise but thought it was close to the Miata as mentioned above.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts