The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know which key blank can be used for a 95 S4s? Need a spare key cut and the local locksmiths have no idea what a Lotus even is.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Not sure about the 95 S4S model, but I've just ordered a new key blank for my 2001 V8. I had to order the minimum of five so I will be selling four of them when they arrive next week. The current key is made by JMA and has the reference on one side of OP which is on top of WYP.

·
Registered
860 Posts
S4s,

I believe the key blank you are looking for is a YM27.

you need to find a locksmith with a "laser cutter." It is really just a router designed for making a duplicate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That seems like it, plus I know now a laser cutter isn't actually a "laser" cutter - appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I believe the take away on the router vs laser point is there are apparently two different types of routers; automated and manual

I visited my local locksmith who looked at my original '98 key and blank I purchased separately and said yep, I can duplicate that, went to his shop section, came back couple minutes later and said nope cannot do without a manual key duplicator which he indicated are hard to find

Keep in mind, I know nothing about key duplication technology

·
Registered
860 Posts
Many of the "laser cutters" out there use programs and noone has a program for a mid 90s lotus!

The machine is about $500.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
yup; i think you nailed it; my "smithy" also emphasized "high security" key duplicator; now, if I can find it on amazon... with a 30 day return policy...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts