The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to start my car this morning, and the key wouldn't go more than a cm into the ignition. I looked inside the cylinder, and it seems that this little piece is blocking the way. Any input would be appreciated!

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,260 Posts
Vacuum and use a pin to pry out. (Not that we can tell what it is from the photo).

·
Registered
175 Posts
ok

Try this, sometime the light gray plastic peice on the outside of the key area will get stuck. Try pressing the gray area with your finger and see if you can get it to pop back out. Let me know.

·
Registered
393 Posts
1) is it possible somebody had access to your car and tried to turn the ignition with something else than your key and it broke off?
2) did you check if it's the tip of your own key that you might have broken off?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) is it possible somebody had access to your car and tried to turn the ignition with something else than your key and it broke off?
2) did you check if it's the tip of your own key that you might have broken off?
The car has been locked with the top on, and both keys are in good shape. My first thought was somebody had been messing with the ignition, too.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had the interior of the lock just come apart on my Exige. I was able to force the key in, it made crunchy noises and didn't engage the electronics properly to allow the car to start. I had to disassemble a bit of the steering column to put that crap back together (nothing broken, just the cylinder popped out of containment and had to be reassembled).
This is the part I had to use paperclips to make the connection for the ride home. Yes, the car will start with a paperclip if you have the fob but no key.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Is the metal round part (that key goes into) flush with the plastic, or sticking out 5mm or so? Every so often my cylinder (round part) gets stuck 'in' when I take the key out, and next time I go to stick the key in it doesn't go in. I stick just the tip in (LOL) turn it a bit and the cylinder pops out and key goes in like normal. Not sure if this is your case, but sounds similar?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the metal round part (that key goes into) flush with the plastic, or sticking out 5mm or so? Every so often my cylinder (round part) gets stuck 'in' when I take the key out, and next time I go to stick the key in it doesn't go in. I stick just the tip in (LOL) turn it a bit and the cylinder pops out and key goes in like normal. Not sure if this is your case, but sounds similar?
I'll try this when I get home tonight :)

·
Such Moderate
6,742 Posts
This is exactly it. I can see it in your picture. Your ignition tumbler is not all the way released. Like he said, stick just the tip (lol again) of your key in and turn it towards you while wiggling and the cylinder will pop out into it's normal place. This is one of those :tadts: moments. Mine did this on occasion. Nothing is stuck inside of your lock cylinder.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I had to use graphite lubricant on my lock to make it reliably pop back out when the key was removed (especially on the frigid 55 degree winter morning in Arizona).

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, I stuck just the tip in and jiggled it around a bit - it's all fixed.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Well, I stuck just the tip in and jiggled it around a bit - it's all fixed.

Thanks for the help!
That's the fix for a few things, right...... ;)

I'll have to try the graphite in there as well, mine seems to be doing it more this year than last. Not looking forward to disassembling it though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I noticed my key wouldn't fit when I had turned the wheel and it locked. Just had to turn the wheel back some and the key went right in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts