The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my car I saw a guy on here that made a key fob. Although it pretty much crumbled apart from use and ware, I kind'a liked it. For the life of me I can not find the post anymore. That aside, I see a lot of other posts about people looking for alternatives to that ugly ass tear drop shape thing we get. In all of my efforts, I can not find anything. From what I know it is the same fob most Lotus use but in particular and if relevant, I have an 07 Elise. I also have a 3d printer and willing to make one if anyone has a starting model to work from.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I am only aware of 3 vendors that currently sell different style key fobs for us. Links posted below. Now there was some cool custom ones that members have sold thru a group buy and what not. One member by the name of Terry had a really nice custom one that I bought a couple from years ago and still in great working condition.

Fubrication key from Terry
IMG_3351.JPG

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! yeah this was a guy on the forums here, selling for 30 bucks LOL. those are nice though.

anyone know if key blanks can be cut anywhere? Or is this a Dealership only deal?

·
Registered
326 Posts
anyone know if key blanks can be cut anywhere? Or is this a Dealership only deal?
I've bought a spare key and had it cut at one lock store and a blank for the GRP key cut at another. No problems with either.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I needed a second key.
I went to the local auto parts store. The teenager behind the counter looked at the lotus key and pondered for 2 minutes.
Then deftly selected Hy-Ko B65P GM auto key blank.
A quick grind to match profiles. went to my car in parking lot and had key success.(y)
YMMV as I have 2006 Elise.
Cost was $4 for the key. I ordered a Cobra branded fob shell off AliExpress priced at $6.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just did the GRP combo key. It seems the original group buy may have been better build quality, but this is still better than the rubber tear drop. Took the blank to a local locksmith and they cut it for $5. I did end up having to resync the fob, but it works great.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went with the GRP, short: it works..

Feedback;
bad
1) Too big. and does not need to be.
2) 3d printed maybe coated with epoxy.
3) feels light and cheep. Could break easily.

good
1) buttons work well
2) looks nice until you touch it and feel how cheap it is.

Thoughts, I think for the money its a rip off, I could easily make this on my printer and glue in a key blank. I understand this is a at home production but does not justify the prince. It is a solution and better then the OEM crap. The original Group buy was much better made and $100 cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts