The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alarm, key fob losing sync.

I am having an issue with the factory alarm on my 2005 elise. The key fobs continually lose their synchronization. I have gone through the re synching process many times Exactly as described in these forums, in the service manual, and the service repair documentation all with the same results: after a few times or days, the key fob loses sync, and the red led on the fob will stay on solid. After pressing it many times, sometimes 5 or 10 times, sometimes 30+ the led will flash and then work fine, or sometimes it will not work. I have both fobs and both experience the same problem, one slightly more frequently then the other. Yes the batteries in both fobs are new, and both batteries have been tested. The dome light is in the correct down position. have tried unsuccessfully to reprogram using the pin a long time ago. any ideas? Again, i have done the re-synch many many times already....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Brand new fobs are cheap. "the viper" on here has them. I think he changed his name though?

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Brand new fobs are cheap. "the viper" on here has them. I think he changed his name though?
He is SirLotus now. Search his posts might be a simple fix for your fob issues and may not require a new set of fobs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive searched sirlotus useing the search funtion, under username search and forums search.....came up with nothing...any tips? i appreciate your replies ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, as stated in my original posy, am having a routine problem with a lass of fob synchronization. doesn't see, to be a common problem to have ongoing problems after doing the resych/relearn, but with mine it certainly is.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
A possible solution to your fob randomly losing sync

Hello I have had problems with my fobs (both of them) randomly losing sync for years. This happened more and more frequently. I always kept a spare in the trunk just in case. Eventually I ran into times where i just couldn't get either of the fobs to sync. Finally, I decided enough was enough. After testing, I found the solution and after 1.5 months, neither fob has lost sync. I also have not had to hit the button more than once to unlock the door. I would imagine if this was happening to both of my fobs, it must be happening to others. You need to pop it open and re-solder the four points I marked in the attached photo. These are the 4 points where the battery retainer goes through the board. Push the retainer/battery side down against a hard surface so that the retainer is firmly against the board when you apply solder to each point. Hopefully this help other people who were as frustrated as I was!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Josh, thanks for taking the time to post your suggestion and pic. I ultimately took it to the dealer and they replaced the entire alarm system and fobs and sensors ( under extended warranty ) and since i havent lost synch. It does sometimes take several attempts to get it to arm/disarm at times, and sometimes you have to be right up next to the car, but it hasn't lost synch ( yet ) .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Awesome! There is a thread about extending the range of the fobs. If they replaced your whole system, it may not have the issue of the antennae wire being wrapped with all the other wires consequently blocking the signal. If the unit comes prepackaged like that and they just installed it the way it came, that may be what is causing the range issue. I have to be pretty close but since it's my first car to even have a fob, I didn't know any different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts