The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key will only turn half way in the ignition, obviously no light and will not start. I have sprayed in graphite lubricant, this helped once before but not this time. Help!

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
The steering wheel isn't loaded is it? Try turning the steering wheel in each direction while turning the key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hows the condition of your key? Are the teeth worn? Try your spare key. If that works, stop using your original key. If your original key is fine, than you may have to open up the ignition to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I have a funny story for you.

A few years back we had a 1984 Toyota Corolla and a 1986 Toyota Tercel. One day I got into the Corolla and was having some trouble getting the key to work. It did work in the end.

However, it was the key from the Tercel! It worked in our Corolla. It turned out to be a really cool feature. And I only noticed this after about 10 years of ownership.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a funny story for you.

A few years back we had a 1984 Toyota Corolla and a 1986 Toyota Tercel. One day I got into the Corolla and was having some trouble getting the key to work. It did work in the end.

However, it was the key from the Tercel! It worked in our Corolla. It turned out to be a really cool feature. And I only noticed this after about 10 years of ownership.
This is interesting.

I used to own a 1989 Toyota Corolla coupe, and went to look at a 1990 Camry for sale one day. I noticed that the keys looked very similar. For fun I tried my car's key in the Camry's ignition. It worked. Unlocked the doors, started the car, everything.

There apparently were not that many combinations of key cut and the ignition switches had rather loose tolerances.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Yep my Dad had a 1989 Mercury Sable and its key worked in the ignition of a friends 1988 Sable but did not work in the door locks. I read somewhere that 1 in 1000 GM keys were the exact same. I would venture to guess that a statistic like that is not uncommon with other auto makers.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Back in the late 70’s, when I was a kid, my mother went to the dentist next door to a cheap car rental place. She drove her AMC station wagon and parked outside on the street. When she came out it was gone. She called the police and reported it stolen. That night we all wondered who the hell would steal an old AMC wagon??:shrug:

The next day, the police called to report that they found her car. It was parked in the same spot outside of the rental place that my mother had parked in. Turns out a guy came from out of town to visit his mother and went to rent a cheap car. He rented a station wagon (Chevy if I remember right) and they told him it was parked outside. Well, he went outside and saw my mother’s AMC and thought that was it. Key fit the door and ignition no problem and off he went. When he went to return it the next day, the car rental place asked why he didn’t take their car. They called the police after they realized he drove someone else’s car.:huh:

The funniest part of the story is that the guy’s mother lived right around the corner from us, about 5 houses away. He parked my mother’s car in his mother’s driveway overnight and nobody noticed!! :thwack:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts