The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i bought my car i didn't get the lug key. I think that this pattern is a common Toyota or Lotus factory keyed lug bolt.

any one know were i can get a key for one for theses

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's a lock one for sure, not normal. Good luck :facepalm

·
not your dad's puns
1,765 Posts
Might want to try a local Discount Tire, I understand they stock a lot of common key patterns.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
sorry dude, I would send you mine, but I can tell its not the same pattern

·
not your dad's puns
1,765 Posts
Hmm mine might actually be the same, will check when I get home tonight. PM me if you'd want me to ship you mine. Heck you could buy my OEM lug set, and replace your 4 keyed ones, with the plain internal spline drive, LMK.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Hmm mine might actually be the same, will check when I get home tonight. PM me if you'd want me to ship you mine. Heck you could buy my OEM lug set, and replace your 4 keyed ones, with the plain internal spline drive, LMK.
yup - gotta get those off first.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
here is an example of how the locks are documented - my '05 came with this card...don't worry, I'm not scared of you stealing my base wheels..haha Now, if you don't have the card, i would assume the procedure would be the same as for retrieving your alarm pin from Lotus. Email copies of your license and reg to prove ownership and voila. Hopefully. Not positive that the locking wheel nut data is recorded by VIN or not, as with the Cobra alarm codes.. Worth a try though. Mine is code number is #885. Out of a thousand? I have removed all mine and replaced them with non-locking..

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had A LOT of experience with this as I actually striped my socket with the "code" on it i.e. the male part went into the female part that is in the wheel i.e. the metal on the male part was permanently wedged into the female part. Not quite the same as you but a real headache!
For anybody reading this get rid of the locking nuts, they strip VERY easily and you DON'T want the pain the OP (and I) are going to have! Besides who wants a Lotus wheel...what else will they fit? For me DEFINITELY NOT worth it.
Anyhow the bad news for you is that the female is coded and the male part comes in about 24 (yes 24) different sizes! Unless you know whether its an A,B C down to about X in the alphabet there is no way of knowing which one fits! If you go to Deroure.com they have them all but at about $25 for each one, this is not a good idea! Unless you buy all 24 (odd) off them and then they give you a refund? Ask Keith at Deroure he's a real good guy!
My suggestion is to go to a Lotus day and borrow one off each guy there and see if it fits, then noting it's letter so that when you only have say 5 left to try you can ask on here if anyone has one of those 5 they can lend you. AND ONCE IT'S OFF THROW THEM AWAY! Good Luck (and a lot of patience!) CHEERS ED

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I've had A LOT of experience with this as I actually striped my socket with the "code" on it i.e. the male part went into the female part that is in the wheel i.e. the metal on the male part was permanently wedged into the female part. Not quite the same as you but a real headache!
For anybody reading this get rid of the locking nuts, they strip VERY easily and you DON'T want the pain the OP (and I) are going to have! Besides who wants a Lotus wheel...what else will they fit? For me DEFINITELY NOT worth it.
Anyhow the bad news for you is that the female is coded and the male part comes in about 24 (yes 24) different sizes! Unless you know whether its an A,B C down to about X in the alphabet there is no way of knowing which one fits! If you go to Deroure.com they have them all but at about $25 for each one, this is not a good idea! Unless you buy all 24 (odd) off them and then they give you a refund? Ask Keith at Deroure he's a real good guy!
My suggestion is to go to a Lotus day and borrow one off each guy there and see if it fits, then noting it's letter so that when you only have say 5 left to try you can ask on here if anyone has one of those 5 they can lend you. AND ONCE IT'S OFF THROW THEM AWAY! Good Luck (and a lot of patience!) CHEERS ED
did you ask Lotus for your key code? Do they keep them on file by VIN? Like the alarm codes?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lock

I just spoke to Colin about this and he said that the wheel locks were not issued from the factory. This is why they are so hard to find. I'm similarly screwed and honestly do not want to take a drill anywhere near these powdercoated LSS wheels. :eek:

Might ask a buddy whose friend has a mechanic shop if we can borrow his set of wheel lock keys for an hour. All I need is to get these bitches off. Trust they are Never going back on.

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
those lss wheels look sweet . Jealous. With a capital JEALOUS.

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
If you can weld, weld a bolt to the head of the keyed lug then unscrew the bolt and the lug will come with it. I have done this a few times on other vehicles with cheap wheel lugs or wheel nuts that strip.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
If you can weld, weld a bolt to the head of the keyed lug then unscrew the bolt and the lug will come with it. I have done this a few times on other vehicles with cheap wheel lugs or wheel nuts that strip.
Before I put lots of heat near the wheels I would trying something like JB weld. Glue the new bolt to the lug and make sure the epoxy fills the key slot in the lug and the interior of the new bolt. Let it cure fully, no cheating. Then use a long cheater bar to bring the torque up as gently as possible. Don;t use an impact wrench as it is more likely to crack the epoxy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Before I put lots of heat near the wheels I would trying something like JB weld. Glue the new bolt to the lug and make sure the epoxy fills the key slot in the lug and the interior of the new bolt. Let it cure fully, no cheating. Then use a long cheater bar to bring the torque up as gently as possible. Don;t use an impact wrench as it is more likely to crack the epoxy.
If he fills the key slot and your idea doesn't work then he will never be able to use the right socket (when he works out which one it is?) because it will be filled......is it worth the gamble? CHEERS ED

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I had my troubles, I spoke to professional welders about doing this and they said they couldn't guarantee there wouldn't be any damage to the surrounding wheel. CHEERS ED

1 - 20 of 50 Posts