The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...could someone be so kind as to PM me the super-secret exterior boot release instructions?..

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Done

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I have to laugh...maybe because I know the ways of the criminal mind...having grown up with quite a few of them. Dont ask me how or why...I dont want to go into that.

But....
We have this secret that no one will tell out loud.

But if you are a criminal....you will just stick a pry bar in the deck lid and break it....pop it open.

You see...criminals dont need to know the "right" way. They dont give a damn....

They will as soon as break youir window...your windshield....slit your top or pry the deck....they dont care. This is like keeping guns away from the honest people. Criminals always get guns....they always will. And they will always get into the boot.

My dad used to say.....Criminals have a no "cost of goods" and all is profit.

This should be " How to SAFELY get into your boot without damaging your car?"

I assume that I know how this is done...but for the hell of it....somebody email me the procedure in case I am ever in that situation.

My email is my name at lotusowners

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have to agree with you.

I know the "secret hand shake" but you are right that a "real" thief is not gonna think twice about your car. I had a friend whose Miata soft top was sliced with a knife. If they want to get into your car, they are just gonna do it.

The idea behind the "secret hand shake", I think, is to not give idea to soft criminals that might not go as far as destroying an Elise to get in, but would likely be interested in getting in easy.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I have to laugh...maybe because I know the ways of the criminal mind...having grown up with quite a few of them. Dont ask me how or why...I dont want to go into that.

But....
We have this secret that no one will tell out loud.

But if you are a criminal....you will just stick a pry bar in the deck lid and break it....pop it open.

You see...criminals dont need to know the "right" way. They dont give a damn....

They will as soon as break youir window...your windshield....slit your top or pry the deck....they dont care. This is like keeping guns away from the honest people. Criminals always get guns....they always will. And they will always get into the boot.

My dad used to say.....Criminals have a no "cost of goods" and all is profit.

This should be " How to SAFELY get into your boot without damaging your car?"

I assume that I know how this is done...but for the hell of it....somebody email me the procedure in case I am ever in that situation.

My email is my name at lotusowners
+1. Please also PM me the info (just in case). Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would love to know, too. Good info to have before it happens. If someone could PM me the procedure I would be very thankful.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
OK, a true determined thief will find his way in, but what about those "borderline thieves"? The ones that will take something if it's plainly accessible and requires little effort and leaves no traces. Or what if someone just thinks it's funny that the trunk can be opened so easily and decides to do it for laughs? Peer pressure does that to you (I'm talking about teen agers and drunk 20-somethings).

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I think, is to not give idea to soft criminals that might not go as far as destroying an Elise to get in, but would likely be interested in getting in easy.
there are no soft crininals. There are none like the pilsbury dough boy either.

It is all about time. No theif is going to take time the "safe" method takes. And they dont give a damn about scratching or ruining your car.

This reminds of the scene in the Godfather where the senator tells Michael " You keep up the charade"

We all know what the facts are here.....if you dont....then you are just fooling yourself.

But it is fun to discuss on a Sunday morn. No LOONY breakfast today.......so it is nice to talk to all of you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I too am also interested in having this information, since I have almost locked the keys in the boot a few times. :rolleyes: So, if someone would PM the procedure to me I would be much appreciative.

Dave

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...i respectfully disagree - while you're correct about determined thieves, my own personal antics in the less-than-responsible days of my youth would have a field day with this sort of information, no (perceived) permanent damage especially setting a conspicuous target for sophomoric mayhem...

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
OK I'm really curious. Me too! Please send me the secret! My imagination is running :panic:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Me too -- Please IM.

Relatedly, I had an interesting situation the other night. The flexible rubber piece of my immobilizer button broke (age I think) so that my key and immobilizer were no longer on the same key ring. I went to my car in my gym shorts (on my way to the gym) on a cold night (about 20 F, which is cold for Baltimore). I had my immobilizer and key in the same hand as I unlocked my boot. As I was doing this, the immobilizer slipped out of my hand, through the louvers and dropped into the engine compartment. I opened the boot to look for it and then realized that I'd better start the car before the alarm timer timed out -- but I was too late -- there I was freezing in the cold in a dark parking lot with no ability to start my car. Luckily I had a flashlight and was able to see and fish out the immobilizer with a coat-hanger from the under panel right behind the rear wheel. The moral of this story is to make sure your immobilizer and key are on the same ring. I need to track down another rubber piece for the immobilizer.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
...i respectfully disagree - while you're correct about determined thieves, my own personal antics in the less-than-responsible days of my youth would have a field day with this sort of information, no (perceived) permanent damage especially setting a conspicuous target for sophomoric mayhem...
You must have hung out with really anal theives.....or stole from the rich to give to the poor.

Of course I could be wrong!!!!

In stealing things from cars...there is no determined thief. Does not have to be. There is nothing difficult about breaking into a car. Stealing one....yes...but breaking into one....no.

As long as it has windows...it is a 5 sec propositon with a baseball bat (covered with a sweatshirt)...or a center punch. For fiberglass cars with a boot....it is a wonderbar or a crowbar.

I still say this is silly and if think not saying this information on a website stops anyone....you are fooling yourself.

Of course I see the list owners point of few, they do not want ANY liability...but like I said in my previous post....we are just talking......on a Sunday morn.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You must have hung out with really anal theives.....or stole from the rich to give to the poor.
...there's plenty of mischief to be had without resorting to petty theft - how about a boot full of lawn ornaments, for example?..

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Maybe a really anal retentive thief would spend a minute or two trying to figure out how to break in without doing too much damage! Sorry, but the top secret thing is hilarious.

It's clearly not top secret. Anybody can ask for it and receive it. We just do not want it archived on the site for people to plainly view and search for. :rolleyes: It does no good.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Stupid question but is this "secret handshake" just for the elise or it works for the exige as well?
Elise - for the Exige, you just open the boot the normal way if your keys are inside. Locking yourself out of the car is a different problem.
:)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts