The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda Civic DX with 204,000 miles on it, and while it is still servicable as a daily driver and has the potential to do another 100k, I am cognizant of the likelyhood of a sudden demise at any moment.

I have therefore considered numerous cars as a replacement. I do not need suggestions for a replacement vehicle.

What I would like is impressions from people who own or have test driven a KIA Soul. I have read numerous owner revues, but they are written by people who generally look at cars as utilitarian vehicles or fashion statements. I am interested in opinions of the sports car community.

The Soul meets most of my criteria. I have since read that Lotus has tuned the suspension (so one of my reservations - the handling - is now allayed).

So...what do you think?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm always swapping cars, and my last purchase decision included the Soul as one of the candidates. I didn't wind up buying the Soul.

I wasn't impressed with the Soul's handling, although it's somewhat unfair to expect it to be more than it is. The short wheelbase along with a fairly high center of gravity makes for a somewhat jittery highway ride, in my opinion. I drove the Exclaim with the bigger alloys, so I don't know if the drive might be better with the smaller wheels. Around-town driving is what it is, not very different from most other small cars.

For the price, the Soul has plenty of goodies, nice style, and should probably be fairly reliable. Hyundai/Kia is probably causing sleepless nights for Toyota and Honda...

EDIT: Oops, I forgot that I drove a Sport as well. Same drive as the Exclaim (I don't think there's any difference in suspension, but I'm not sure).

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The fact that Lotus "tunend" the suspension doesn't necessarily mean the handling is awesome. Who knows what criteria they were given?

xtn

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fact that Lotus "tunend" the suspension doesn't necessarily mean the handling is awesome. Who knows what criteria they were given?

xtn
I am not really expecting the handling to be stellar, but I find it reassuring that Lotus was consulted and that the handling would be optimized for what it is. These boxy type vehicles Soul, Xb, Element etc tend to have solid rear axles to optimize the cargo space and keep the vehicle low, so I am not expecting (or desiring) sports car handling. This is why I am not looking to get Mazdaspeed 3, Civic Si, etc. My Lotus perform that function.

·
Registered
16 Posts
just picked up a sport last week and also own an 07 exige. it is a real nice car feels pretty solid. the hard part is driving in the lotus then getting in it and remembering you are not in the lotus. it is little and fun you can zip around in it. pretty good little second car.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yhis site says the Lotus tuned cars will come to both UK and US

Kia Soul gets Lotus tuned suspension

Lotus Enthusiasts says:
“the changes are designed to stop harshness getting into the cabin, while giving improved steering feel on high frequency undulations. They also give the car more poise, and prevent the car using the whole suspension range over bumps.”

Lotus to give Kia some Soul | Lotus Enthusiast

1 - 7 of 7 Posts