The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer will mark the return of the Shelby AC Cobra to these shores. We're
talking 'the genuine thing', folks! See Articles & Reviews section for complete Auto Express article.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
This summer will mark the return of the Shelby AC Cobra to these shores. We're
talking 'the genuine thing', folks! See Articles & Reviews section for complete Auto Express article.
Agreed, but I don't think it looks as good as the original AC Cobra... personally prefer the Ford GT.

Neil

·
Registered
495 Posts
Didn't see the autoexpress article (did you post?), but I think there are two different things going on RE 'new' cobras

1) Ford is talking about the 'new' cobra, as seen above, but there's no firm committment yet to make it (I think it is butt ugly)

2) Shelby is planning another run of the the 'old' style cobra (I would assume with more modern mechanicals), this time with AC making the bodies (as opposed to the last run a few years back, where the bodies were supposedly miraculously 'found' - or was it just spontaneous generation?)

Maybe I'm talking out of my bum here, but that's the impression I got from the EVO website. Or is AC making the 'new/new' bodies?

I would love an original as a collector car, but as for the new versions... sometimes it's better to let a legend remain a legend

·
Registered
495 Posts
From Autoexpress, December 03

Shelby Cobra Returns: Production of the hand-beaten AC Cobra bodyshell is about to restart in Surrey following an agreement with Shelby Automobiles in Las Vegas. According to AC Cars, Carroll Shelby - the man behind the iconic 1960s Anglo-America hybrid - wants 50 original bodyshells (with the attendant steel chassis) each year, which will then be built up into 'faithful recreations' of the original AC Cobra 427 (image). The cars should be available from the middle of next year.

Production of the cheaper composite-bodied ACs - including a recreation of the delicate 1955 Ace roadster and, later, the Cobra-flavoured Mamba coupe - should kick-off at a new factory in Malta early in 2004. AC shut up shop in the UK last year.

There's also a more recent blurb stating that there will be 289 versions coming.

So, I think the car pictured above is a US Ford concept

1 - 7 of 7 Posts