The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few of you have successfully installed a Kirkey seat in the Elise and I am thinking of doing the same. I tried fitting a 15" intermediate road race seat in the passenger side a couple nights ago and while I could squeeze it in, it appeared to have some issues, namely width at the front and height with it all the way back where I would need it to be located as I am 6'2". What have some of your solutions been? I seem to recall that there was a comment that the driver's compartment was asymetrical, but I do not see evidence of that with a somewhat cursory look?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
LarryB has a Kirkey seat installed. He's here in the Bay Area as well. The passenger side of the compartment is definitely smaller than the driver's side.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
A standard Kirkey seat, as you found will not fit. Thanks to ITA66 who picked one up and did a bunch of mods to get it to work. Based on his input and a few things to better fit me had Kirkey fab up a “custom” version. Nice thing is it only adds $100 to the cost of the seat.

You’ll need to use a 56 or 58 series to have it drop in-between the rails and sit low. I’ve got a marked up drawing (went with the 56) and you’ll need new brackets to mount them to- am using the stock slider.

Turns out I don’t have any photos. Will try to take a few and post them up tomorrow. Am in the south bay.

Had tried out Joe’s seat, fit really well. But in talking to Sector111 (several years ago), it wasn’t going to be offered. Actually hadn’t seen those pics in a while- it looks a lot like a Kirkey type seat.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
ed hann has matching kirkey seats and harnesses - very nice installation!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed that Kirkey seat in my car. Had to trim off about 2 inches from the height so it would fit in just under the cars roll bar. That's the only mod needed to make it fit. But you also need to come up with a mount. I made something of a rectangular steel frame (not adjustable, but I need it all the way back, as you do) that held the seat and provided mounting holes for the anti-sub and lap belts. I have the BWR bar going across the back for the shoulder straps.
The seat, although perhaps not the most gorgeous, is fantastic for track use. The side wings make ingress and egress even more ungraceful!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sir, Very encouraging! Yes, your insights are spot on. Could you send me some pixs of your installation, most interested in your belt attachments. I was hoping not to have to trim the top of the seat but it seems inevitable. My seat is the 15" version, Kirkey # 47300, intermediate road race model.

I installed that Kirkey seat in my car. Had to trim off about 2 inches from the height so it would fit in just under the cars roll bar. That's the only mod needed to make it fit. But you also need to come up with a mount. I made something of a rectangular steel frame (not adjustable, but I need it all the way back, as you do) that held the seat and provided mounting holes for the anti-sub and lap belts. I have the BWR bar going across the back for the shoulder straps.
The seat, although perhaps not the most gorgeous, is fantastic for track use. The side wings make ingress and egress even more ungraceful!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
If you have that seat fixed and pretty far back it will make the install a lot easier. Looks good. For mine may add the head and shoulder support bits for track use. Being aluminum they are pretty light weight, in the range of 10-12 lbs. With the very thin padding of the cloth seats, was really feeling it after a hour. Did add some high density 3/8" padding. Did a 1200 mile trip and it worked great and it's fantastic for track duty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jabingb, sorry I have no pics, but I'll try to desribe what I made up. It's three pieces: two angle iron sides, and a third across the rear that acts as a beam to wrap the anti-sub belt around. These parts bolt to the floor using the same holes as the stock seat mount uses, with slightly longer bolts. I welded four ears, two on each, (about 2" X 3") on the side rails and drilled and tapped holes so the seat bottom can be bolted down after these three rail doo-dads are bolted down. Also on the side rails, I drilled holes near the rear for attaching the belts. I have the harness belts, and the stock belts attached here. It's tight, but doable. And at the end of the track season, it's undoable.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SB, thanks for the additional info, it gives me some point of reference as I construct something similar for my installation. My goal will be to put the seat in for track days and then revert back to the stock seat for street driving, might be a tall order.

Jabingb, sorry I have no pics, but I'll try to desribe what I made up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.