The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the post about the Ultima earlier today, it made me realize how little I know about high performance kit cars (and by "kit" cars I'm including production cars in other countries that are only road legal here if imported as a kit car). So I'm wondering if someone in the know could educate me. I've known about the caterham, noble, and I'd even seen the ultima before, but I had no idea what these cars were capable of until seeing them on here or in other reviews. Same goes with the radical sr3 that I saw a few days ago in a post. I find it amazing that for under $100K you can build an "Enzo killer". Ok I guess you could do that with a vette or supra, but hopefully you know what I mean... kit cars that are few and far between over here.

Here's what I'm wondering:

What kit cars can be brought here and registered to be road legal?
Performance specs? (skidpad, 0-60, 1/4 mi, weight, etc.)
Approximate prices?
Websites where one could learn more about them?

It might be nice to know about high performance cars that can't be made road legal over here at the moment (like the radical, I think, or exige). So if anyone has knowledge of "kit" cars, feel free to educate me.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I can help a little. I had a cobra replica so had to go through the whole legality thing. Essentially a car isn't a car if it doesn't come over to the states with an engine. So road going cars like the Ultima, Superformance cobra and coupe, Noble, etc are brought over as complete cars with no engine, trans. They are classifed not as cars but as parts.

You get a certificate of origin and once the car is complete you take it to your DOL for your title. The advantage is they ask for receipts cause you have to pay the tax on them. Well you simply don't provide them all, just the kit, don't give them the reciepts for labor, engine, trans so you can save some cash.

Some states require an inspection of all the brake lights, blinkers, etc. To get the car to an inspection center the DOL will provide you with a 5 day temporary permit. You don't need to worry about any type of bumbers. Depending on the engine you use you have to deal with emissions. In the case of the Ultima it isn't a problem because it uses the GM corvette C5 block, trans, catalytic converters.

The real problem is insuring them. Most have to be insured under a collector car policy - you can't exactly insure them with Allstate or similar. Your mileage is limited but cops don't care if you have the card. But hope you never have to make a claim.

Check www.gt40s.com

www.clubcobra.com

alot of good info on title, insurance, etc.

Edit - I know I am forgetting a bunch of stuff, if you have any questions please ask. I have gone through the process twice before and have a friend that just finished a CAV GT-40 and is currently going through the process. Just remember the rules differ depending on state...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts