The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I had my 1st chance to take my S2 Exige on a track recently (Sepang F1 track Malaysia) For 3 hrs solid I more or less had the track to myself most of time as we only had a dozen or so drivers. I loved every single min of it and certainly am hooked.

I am not interested (at this stage) in messing with the car to improve its perfomance as Im fully aware I have at the moment far 'more car than driver' - I need to improve my skills a long way before I start to come close to exceeding the cars ability. However I am safety aware and serious about exploring track use - so I am currently considering what safety equipment I should get/fit. I want to get it right from the get go

(Sorry if this is a question thats been asked 1000 times)

I want to get stuff now that I wont need to upgrade later as I get more experienced

So Im seaking advice on what I should get

RE: Harnesses, Im thinking 5 or 6 point (what is pro/con of each?)

But what harness bar should I get? Sector 111s? eliseparts? are they all 'approved'? wrap around or bolted?

RE: Seats, I assume the original lotus seats arent race approved?? arent suitable for fitting of anti-sub belts? What race seat(s) do you recommend?
Do lotus do a race seat? Is seat securing re-inforcement really required?

Extinguisher system? Necessary? Plumbed in or hand held?

Race suit? Gloves and shoes? necessary?

Hans? necessary?

anything else?

thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Dr Mike -

Hello & welcome. I grew up in Singapore back in the 70s & 80s!

Good thread to get started on track safety equipment is here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100/safety-equipment-thread-13650/

- Most tend to prefer 6 point harnesses, they tend to be a little more comfortable than the 5 points.

- Harness bar - my car had the track pack, so it came with the car, but I don't think there's much variation in this part...

- Seats. Safest bet is probably getting a Lotus Cup car seat (a Recaro) & seat rail, and have that fitted into your car. This is race-approved. While you can install harnesses in the stock seats (and many have) - it seems Lotus does not endorse this. I did not like the idea of attaching harnesses to the seats (if you do, I think the seat reinforcement mounts are a good idea). I mounted my harnesses to the tub directly (see the safety thread.)

- Extinguisher: for track days, a hand-held extinguisher, properly secured should be fine. But if you're racing... I'd consider a cup car w/ the properly plumbed fire extinguishing system & electrical cut-offs.

- Hans - yes. LOTS of threads on this in the track & technique forum.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dr Mike -

Hello & welcome. I grew up in Singapore back in the 70s & 80s!

Good thread to get started on track safety equipment is here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100/safety-equipment-thread-13650/

- Most tend to prefer 6 point harnesses, they tend to be a little more comfortable than the 5 points.

- Harness bar - my car had the track pack, so it came with the car, but I don't think there's much variation in this part...

- Seats. Safest bet is probably getting a Lotus Cup car seat (a Recaro) & seat rail, and have that fitted into your car. This is race-approved. While you can install harnesses in the stock seats (and many have) - it seems Lotus does not endorse this. I did not like the idea of attaching harnesses to the seats (if you do, I think the seat reinforcement mounts are a good idea). I mounted my harnesses to the tub directly (see the safety thread.)

- Extinguisher: for track days, a hand-held extinguisher, properly secured should be fine. But if you're racing... I'd consider a cup car w/ the properly plumbed fire extinguishing system & electrical cut-offs.

- Hans - yes. LOTS of threads on this in the track & technique forum.

Cheers,
-Darryl
Thanks Darryl thats been really useful.

Newbie question - My exige seats dont have holes for harness straps - is there a lotus supplied seat that does?

cheers again
Mike

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Lotus Sports Seats come with harness holes for the shoulder straps but they do not come with holes for sub-belts - although I did manage to order a pair with sub-belt holes once. :coolnana:

The Lotus Cup Recaro ones do however if I am not wrong.

Anyways, sent ya a PM from a friendly fellow Singapore Lotus owner. :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I posted some fairly extensive pics in that thread I linked above (last page I think) - where I had cut a hole in the stock factory seat for an anti-sub belt.

(The cup car seat does have a hole for anti-sub straps.)

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am I correct in believing Lotus sports seats cant be used with a Hans?

If so can someone suggest a sports seat that fits well isnt ugly is well trimmed/padded pref leather effect) and has holes for harness and Hans compatable?

cheers
mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts