The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kodiak Wheels Sneak Peak (with tire bags!)

Wheels from Blackwatch Racing and Sector 111.

HUGE PIC!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
963 Posts
Wheels look good! I don't get the warmers? :confused: For serious track people I'd guess?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tidalwdave said:
Wheels look good! I don't get the warmers? :confused: For serious track people I'd guess?
Yes. Having warmer tires can be the difference in winning and losing. Also it's nice if you transport tires to and from the track to have them protected and not messing other things up. It is important to keep them out of the sun and away from ozone and UV.

If it is cool out, you will see serious autocrossers with all kinds of home made tire warmers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Man those wheels do look good, but whats with the 4WD rubber

What size is that ?

Can u get them in 17`s at the front and 18`s at
the back ?

?

Steve

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
any info on weight of the wheels???

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Pimping,
Those are the same A048 tires as the sport package comes with. Because the reverse lip on the wheel is so prominent, the tire sidewall may look proportionately wider to the main part of the wheel. As far as I have heard, great pain has gone into getting that reverse lip correct on the wheel!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Different strokes for diferent folks I guess. When I first saw the 111S, I was convinced that the stock wheels needed to be changed. Now I have fallen in love with them, and unless someone offers a decent 5, 10, or 8 spoke, I will be happy. It is always funny for me however, it seems that some people like to have spoke arrangements based on 3, some on 4 and some on 5 or 6. I personally like when you can see the geometric pattern, and I would have to say that I am a 5 or 10 spoke person at heart. I think there will b problems however creating good looking wheels in size 16, and with a 4 bolt pattern. Very hard to do.

I am glad to see the products are being offerend for the Elise, and that vendors are showing their products off. I wish that there was more of this kind of thing! It keeps looking like I will be getting the Lotus exhaust since I can't find anything else out form anyone!!!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The numbers I'm listing below were obtained with an uncalibrated shipping scale, and while the relationships should be correct, the absolute numbers might be a bit off.

The total wheel/tire combo for the 5.5" 3-piece wheel with an Advan Neova was approx. 31.5 lbs.

The stock 5.5" wheel with a well-worn Advan was just over 1 lb. heavier.

The 6.5" 3-piece wheel with a new A048 was just over 33 lbs.

We did not have access to a Sportpak wheel to weigh it last week.

A couple of notes:

Shinoo has both the SSR wheels and the prototype fronts for both sizes of the 3-piece wheels in his warehouse, and should be able to provide real world numbers for all of them next week.

The A048 mounted on the 1" wider rim is visually a much bigger package than the standard wheel & tire.

The center caps from the factory wheels snap right into the center of the new 3-piece wheels!

I look forward to having a 205/45-16 Hoosier mounted on a 6.5" wheel soon. I suspect we'll see some significant weight savings then as the Hoosiers are notoriously lightweight tires.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
The wheels fit great. They are hubcentric and do not require a centering ring.

I weighed the wheels and tires again to confirm.

Front rims
5.5" = 14.2lbs ( 32lbs with AD07 )
6.5" = 14.4 lbs ( 34 lbs with A048 )
Rear (approx)
7.5" = 15.5lbs ( 37 lbs with A048 )

We expect the Kodiaks will be lighter than the stock rims. They should be with 1 or 2 lbs of the Sport rim weight.

Wheel (cornering and radial) fatigue testing will be initiated soon to SAE std J2530. We expect the Kodiaks will be the strongest wheel available for the fed Elise.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
ElisED said:
Any chance of flush center caps? I really don't care for the ones shown above.
We simply reused the stock wheel caps. Since they are so long they stick out a bit like on the stock wheels. We figured most people would want to reuse their stock wheel cap.

We will look at ways to make it flush. Thx!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Pimping said:
Man those wheels do look good, but whats with the 4WD rubber

What size is that ?

Can u get them in 17`s at the front and 18`s at
the back ?
Those are the A048 sport pack tires in a 195/50R16. 50 aspect ratio tires do look pretty big nowadays! :D

We have initially focused on stock sizes only. We want an exact fitment. Expect different sizes later on - especially wider rim widths and smaller diameters. Once we get our cars we will be able to see how these changes impact the performance.

We should get some with black centers and a polished lip soon. I think these will be the best looking color combo. Full black will also be available.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
What do you guys think about these finishes?

Matte black:

We're experimenting with different looks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I like them both, mostly. I don't care for what looks like a white-wall around the tire. Is there a way to color that as well? At least make it a little darker or shinier? I think I'd probably prefer just all black. Or maybe black outside with the dark silver polished? inside.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I like the looks of both of the darker centers better. The wheels with the center the same color as the rim somehow look bulkier.

Are those the weights of the Kodiak wheels? I'm curious about the weights of the LSS and SSR wheels too. It would help decide which package to order.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts