The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will eventually wind up with both of these modifications but which mod should I get first, the Kold-Fire Sport 200 tune or the Larini sports exhaust?

·
Registered
409 Posts
the ecu reflash will make it a better driver's car, the exhaust will give it a personality and will get you even more looks.

Up to you, both are great. I had both of them installed at the same time.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I have both of these mods and the tune makes the car more fun to drive and more responsive, but like it was said the exhaust makes it sound sweet and look nice. Really can't go wrong with either. I would personally go with the tune because you can't find a used tune but you may be able to find a used exhaust later and save some cash.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Go with Larini 8 in SE for quiet highway sound, but wicked WOT. The sport exhausts are increasingly being black flagged even at tracks!! and also give you a headache after a while. They are stupid loud!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I got a BOE Silent Touch and then a Kold-fire tune about a year later. The tune is great, I love the lower cam change but the exhaust really add personality.

I used to think I revved a lot before I bought the exhaust, but now I run through the gears all the time now!

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
the larini se exhaust are really that loud? It doesn't seem like it too much on all the videos, but then again thats a big difference then in person.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Get the exhaust first. It will affect the tune if you do the tune first.
That's not entirely correct. We prepare the tune to work with the stock or aftermarket exhaust cans...

To the OP: The answer is "Both" :D

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Just an opinion...you can go blind and get the tune or you can do pre dyno and post dyno to make sure the tune is right for your car/making power. If it's not making power there's more dollars to fix.

Or get the Larini which at some point will have internals of 1000 beebees, ask me I have had 2.

It's a dollar game, repackable exhaust or replace 2 years down the road....

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't doubt your experience with packing deterioration on the Larini. I see your avatar photo, how much do you think that was function of frequent, prolonged high temps from track use?

Just an opinion...you can go blind and get the tune or you can do pre dyno and post dyno to make sure the tune is right for your car/making power. If it's not making power there's more dollars to fix.

Or get the Larini which at some point will have internals of 1000 beebees, ask me I have had 2.

It's a dollar game, repackable exhaust or replace 2 years down the road....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My first clubsport was not used on track and had roughly 5-6 k miles on it. On track it will last a season before the internals go. Now cars without sc do better with the Larini exhaust as they just don't produce the heat.

Both exhausts stainless looked awful after about 800 miles because of the heat. New they are beautiful...but if you don't have a rear panel delete then who cares.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My first clubsport was not used on track and had roughly 5-6 k miles on it. On track it will last a season before the internals go. Now cars without sc do better with the Larini exhaust as they just don't produce the heat.

Both exhausts stainless looked awful after about 800 miles because of the heat. New they are beautiful...but if you don't have a rear panel delete then who cares.
Helpful, thanks. In theory at least, don't the Larini's have a lifetime warranty? Wouldn't this cover packing breakdown? (Acknowledging the hassle involved in filing claim, removing exhaust, shipping back, etc., etc.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
May I ask why you haven't considered a 2bular? These have been much coveted on this forum, and I have had good driveability gains from it - plus it looks even better than the larini stuff. top quality packing used inside these too!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I had the Larini 8" exhaust and sold it at a loss for the lighter and rebuildable BOE Silent Touch. Neither of them is loud. The Silent Touch is quieter at idle and more aggressive at high rpms.

San

1 - 16 of 16 Posts