The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove down to KomoTec this week to originally have the stage 2 installed, which should give 410 Hp. Well, in the end it became a bit more.

Key element of Stage 2 is a larger pulley for the supercharger, increasing boost by 0.1 bar. The package has been around a while for the Exige V6, but installation in the Evora is much more complex as there is no room for access. Well, KomoTec has meanwhile found a solution by lowering the engine sufficiently that they can gain access with a special tool to tighten the pulley after mounting. All this makes the installation a much more viable and less costly option to the engine out alternative.:clap:

After installation Daniel put the car on the dyno, only to discover that the BOE CAI I had installed is significantly limiting power (see her), so we went through the options. Peak power was only 379 Hp, far below the expected 410 Hp. :shrug:

In this power class airflow becomes the key issue and any restriction has a massive impact. Fortunately KomoTec has also developed a custom air intake, which they have again been testing on several Exige V6. This unit uses a massive air filter of 20 cm input diameter and 30 cm filter length (see photo).

We put the prototype in the Evora and immediately got around 429 HP, sufficient to convince me to take some more money out of my pocket. -poke- Some software tweaks and we peaked out at 439 Hp, which is when we stopped. Just take a look at the almost flat torque between 3500 and 7000 rpm. :clap:

This new stuff is still under final development, the airbox is a prototype and still needs a final mounting and air ducting solution (we reused the BOE saddle).

One final word to anyone considering Komotec stage 1, 2 or above: keep away from the BOE airbox, you're just wasting money and power :eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So, the run-in consisted of a 500 Km trip back home under ideal conditions and all I can tell you is it transforms the car once more.

Acceleration is massive from 0 through 250+ Kph and we are easily and repeatedly hitting (a previously unknown) speed limiter at 292 Kph.

Obviously from 270 Kph you're sitting in a screaming jet fighter, but the Evora is still incredibly well placed and highly responsive.

Unfortunately it was dark, so I didn't make a video with the GoPro.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the prototype intake produce any different type of sound than the BOE?
Its even more guttural. Same supercharger whine (actually a bit more due to the increased SC speed), but much more throaty.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I want all of this! Any sense for when the entire package will be available?

·
Illegal Alien
5,279 Posts
I drove down to KomoTec this week to originally have the stage 2 installed, which should give 410 Hp. Well, in the end it became a bit more...

In this power class airflow becomes the key issue and any restriction has a massive impact. Fortunately KomoTec has also developed a custom air intake, which they have again been testing on several Exige V6. This unit uses a massive air filter of 20 cm input diameter and 30 cm filter length (see photo)...

One final word to anyone considering Komotec stage 1, 2 or above: keep away from the BOE airbox, you're just wasting money and power :eek:
Glad you had good success with the Stage 2 install and that Daniel found a way to sneak it in without a complete engine pull.

I do question your issues and concern with the BOE intake, as to size, my first question to Phil when he suggested trying to fit his existing canister was "will it be large enough, this is a much bigger engine". He rightly reminded me that airflow is linearly proportional to power and his box was achieving 450rwhp out of the 4 bangers. Testing also confirmed that flow restrictions were less than the OEM box with Toyo filter or K&N filter supplied to me by Komo-Tec. While I do not have the exact komo-tec filter dimension to compare side by side with the BOE, they can not be too far different after all the can diameter must be very very similar to fit in the BOE saddle and under the cross brace while length is also restricted by available space. If one did see an area to improve on the BOE produce it would be to size the intake hole to fit the larger OEM intake tube.

I definitely do not agree with your warning to not use the BOE intake with a Komo-Tec Stage 1; that is the exact set up that we configured the prototype BOE around; Kold-Fire Tune and Komo-Tec header and Cat.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice. The car really need a proper water-air intercooler to get more HP. It gets warm here so there's no point playing with my car until someone develops a complete kit. I imagine 500hp easy with an IC and correct pulley. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
OK and wenn will you get a new software version without speed limiter :)

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you had good success with the Stage 2 install and that Daniel found a way to sneak it in without a complete engine pull.

While I do not have the exact komo-tec filter dimension to compare side by side with the BOE, they can not be too far different after all the can diameter must be very very similar to fit in the BOE saddle and under the cross brace while length is also restricted by available space.
The KomoTec filter IS more than double the size: Filter length is 30 cm (12"), diameter 20 cm (8"), the filter is mounted as a funnel, i.e. wide side forward. So, there is a massive increase in potential air flow. You can hide the whole BOE box in the Komotec filter!

Nice. The car really need a proper water-air intercooler to get more HP. It gets warm here so there's no point playing with my car until someone develops a complete kit. I imagine 500hp easy with an IC and correct pulley. :)
KomoTec is working on exactly that, an air-water intercooler is coming soon and will initially be fit ot the Exige V6. The Evora will, logically, need different plumbing. It adds 50 mm to the engine height, so the OEM engine cover won't fit.

OK and wenn will you get a new software version without speed limiter :)
Probably within the next 2-4 weeks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Awesome!

I knew a slightly larger pulley would fit!
I bet a slightly smaller top pulley would add another 5-10hp too.

In theory, larger bottom pulley, smaller top pulley, tune, possibly update CAI, no exhaust modification (maybe a plack strait pipe, to flow more free) and I will be 400-415hp?

That doesn't seem to expensive as long as the lower pulley swap isn't to difficult.

Sound doable?

·
Registered
545 Posts
KomoTec is working on exactly that, an air-water intercooler is coming soon and will initially be fit ot the Exige V6. The Evora will, logically, need different plumbing. It adds 50 mm to the engine height, ...
That story I hear for more than 2 years. They used to co-operate wir MotoConcept, and they stayed quiete lastly. I/C would be great. Not so much for more HP but reliability.

·
Illegal Alien
5,279 Posts
Awesome!

I knew a slightly larger pulley would fit!
I bet a slightly smaller top pulley would add another 5-10hp too.

In theory, larger bottom pulley, smaller top pulley, tune, possibly update CAI, no exhaust modification (maybe a plack strait pipe, to flow more free) and I will be 400-415hp?

That doesn't seem to expensive as long as the lower pulley swap isn't to difficult.

Sound doable?
Smaller top pulley will not fit, without machining SC nose, and that may buy 2 mm and other potential problems and I would figure only acceleration gain would come from you carrying a lighter wallet..

Lower pulley requires pulling body and engine or KT trick of rotating down off mounts for access.

No way to get this extra air out without removing ex manifold cat restrictions.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Is the dyno measuring horse power at the crank or rear wheel?

·
Illegal Alien
5,279 Posts
Measuring at the wheels but correcting to a theoretical flywheel power, it's a Germany standard. Not sure if they use a correction factor or measure the difference between power applied by engine vs power pushed back in by rollers powering back through driveline. We do this in big gear triangle motor applications but you need a dyno at both ends, so unless someone can detail the german standard seems back to correction factors.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just 2 pictures to show the size comparison between the BOE and the Komotec. Just note how the BOE fits inside the Komotec airbox.

In fact the remaining challenge for the box is getting sufficient air channeled into it. The Evora side air inlet is much smaller than that of the Exige V6. I've just ordered the famed side scoops to enhance airflow at speed.

Attachments

·
Illegal Alien
5,279 Posts
Looks nice. I haven't done any Q calcs of required intake flow assuming no pumping losses, but I doubt intake size over restricts as to scoops size while Exige
V6 may be bigger it still leads to same in tube and filter box as Evora

1 - 20 of 92 Posts